What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 7 V Souths

franklin2323

Immortal
No one is saying it was a try.

He was short of the line second tackle play on we had tackles up our sleeve to try and score.

Again this decision highlights the Ashley Klein mindset when he officiates our games.

Any other official if they did think JFH May have got the ball to the line would have erred on the side of caution and went to the bunker. Had he done so in my opinion, no try obviously but we retain possession play on.

Same with the South’s second try I have no doubt almost all others officials would have sent that upstairs even allowing for the fact they can’t rule on a forward pass. Watching it live Klein couldn’t award it quick enough he was so excited.

The JFH try had more doubt for me. If the ref says I have no try check to confirm it is double movement. The camera can't see to it be overturned then on field stays. So still would be a penalty.

Mansour also stays on his wing that 2nd try doesn't get scored. Poor attack and 2 soft misses by Cleary is why we lost

franklin2323

Immortal
It is simple I never blame the refs. Take tonight

54-46 possession our way
They had 13 errors. We had 9
60% possession
55 tackles inside their 20
We forced 5 dropouts to their 2
400 more running metres.

Look at their tries. Try 1 Cleary should of made the tackle

Try 2 why was Mansour in the middle of the field? He stays on his wing no try.

Try 3 again another simple miss by Cleary.

Try 4. Now the Burgess grapple. On Fox Ennis said shouldn't be a penalty. The other commentators agreed with the call so 50/50 at best.

4th tackle Mansour goes for the loose ball knocks on. If it is kicked ahead or tackle the Souths guy when he gets it they don't score.

So all of their tries preventable.

Cleary, Leota dropped it attacking the line. Blake misses Mansour into touch.

I mentioned the Cleary/Egan 4th and 5th tackle wasted.

So there was plenty of chances to get the win. Just not a good team atm anyway

franklin2323

Immortal
[

Youre pretending to be a supporter. Very poorly. Bagging the team out after an effort like that. Its all Ivans fault...

We conceded the most penalties last year. Missed the most tackles. Mid range in completions

You had a prop on rep money taking GK popping FG while playing A Grade standard

Same has continued on this year so no not Ivan BUT he seems devoid of ideas on how to fix it. The pedestrian attack, poor physical fitness though are on Ivan though.

So yes over the last few years they have pretended to be a good footy team.

martielang

Bench
I thought both are hookers were terrific tonight. They regularly get bagged but deserve credit. Egan starting with Katoa as a second Hooker option or smaller middle forward ala Havili could be a long term fix & gives us a bit more flexibility.

We got some stinking calls but had enough opportunity to win 2 games. disappointing result but definite step in the right direction.

I feel like Walker seems to rip us apart every time we play them.

RDT

Juniors
Hey guys, die hard Souths supporter, but that was by far the best overall game I've seen in the NRL this year.

My advice to your club is that Egan is your best option at 9 going forward. That kid is going to be an absolute gun.

TheEroticGamer

Juniors
Yes, Penrith made mistakes. But if the refereeing decisions went the other way and we ended up winning you'd have people saying Souths lost themselves the game with the errors they made as well.

Sweeping refereeing garbage under the rug because we weren't perfect only works if Souths were, which they most definitely weren't. To put it nicely it's a logical fallacy.

TheEroticGamer

Juniors
Also, on the subject of refereeing garbage. I feel the refereeing standard across the comp has improved yet somehow for us got even worse. The best refereeing performance by far was our game in Newcastle and even in that game we got blindsided after 30 empty minutes by attempts to, I don't know, make the game close in the end?

Ffs if our coach was Ricky Stuart, he would spend press conferences choke slamming journalists through tables.

After this season, I tend to agree. But I think you mean boot him NOW. He played quite well tonight, not what he can do, but you just never know when that will come.

I’m not criticising his play in this game, or his potential. I’m saying his abilities are lost on a team that’s 2 from 7. We brought in Maloney in part to help us go deep in the finals, that’s not going happen.

lsta5838

Juniors
I thought it was a great game, pity we lost, but something to build on for sure.

The two that bugged me were:
- Grant gets penalised for hands on ball in 1st set, Burgess dues exact same thing (estimated around 70 min mark, and probably worse that Grant's and nothing!
- When we were down 8 to 10, Souths players on 2 tackles were actually trying to give penalties away (I think it was just before JFH double-movement, which I must be the only Panthers fan who thinks it was, since he ended up on line)
- Would need to see a reply, but in the play before Souths iced it, I am certain Burgess knocked on.

Souths won the battle but we will win the war end of the year!! Long season, but need to jag a win against the Raiders.

Panfa

Juniors
After watching another heartbreaking loss 2 players need to go and we wil start winning games mansour needs to be dropped asap and katoa needs to go hes slow as a wet week at hooker.Either put brian too on the wing for mansour or bring in matheson johns to the centres and put dallin back on the wing.As for katoa egan is the better hooker and we could do with a sele or winterstein when fit but for now maybe kade ellis deserves his shot ive got mitch kenny ahead of katoa.

Panfa

Juniors
Much better performance last night then previous weeks cleary and maloney need to get the ball out to our backs a bit quicker they just hold there passes way to long example overlap for blake mansour overran him.Ashley klein i have mentioned him a few times on here the guy definitely has an agenda against us why ive got no idea but i rest my case on him he should be dropped for incompetence.We lost that game last night in the 1st 40 mins all that possession and sets on souths line and all we could come up with was a penalty goal in the 39th min as much as klein killed us with every 50/50 call our first half cost us the game.Please cleary if you read these threads drop mansour he dropped a bomb that led to a try was missing in action for there 2nd try over ran blake and couldnt pick up the loose ball that would have won us the game.

Thirsty Panther

Juniors
Great game of footy. Very entertaining.

Shame we lost but Souths are a well drilled unit.

Atkiens should stay Fullback.
Not convinced DWZ is our answer for center. Some questions about his defensive ability in this position.
Mansour is not in great form. Dropped balls and poor positioning when Blake created room for him.
Cleary was good but 2 bad tackle attempts lead to Souths trys.
Kikau what a beast. The tackle on Lowe looked like he was playing with a kid not a grown man.
Egan is slowly developing into a good 9.

We improved in number of errors, completion rate and run meters.
Also its the first time in 3 weeks where we didn't give away a penalty try.
We are getting better.
Onwards and upwards.

Pomoz

Bench
All the comments on here about our attack are spot on. Our attack sucks and has done for the last few years, improving when Maloney arrived, but still not good enough to win a premiership. In attack we are a bludgeon, we have no rapier thrust.

We now have two reasonably quick players in Aekin and Blake, but our wingers are slow and clumsy. DWZ is slow too. It is why we are 3rd from bottom in the NRL for tackle breaks. The Storm are 1st and their wingers hit the line with speed and footwork. Our wingers hit the line like slightly faster props and try and wrestle their way through.

I admire their guts and work ethic but the balance of the team isn't right. It is all about brute strength in the wrong areas. We need some speed and agility. Yesterday, Maloney had more tackle breaks than our wingers and he is playing through the middle and weighs slightly more than the ink on this full stop. Even in his 30's he is faster and more agile than our carthorses in the backline.

I'm firmly in Daz's and Herberts camp that Cleary doesn't have the vision to be an elite half, but to be fair it would help if he had some speedy backs to give the ball to who can create space and make breaks.

TheFrog

Coach
After watching another heartbreaking loss 2 players need to go and we wil start winning games mansour needs to be dropped asap and katoa needs to go hes slow as a wet week at hooker.Either put brian too on the wing for mansour or bring in matheson johns to the centres and put dallin back on the wing.As for katoa egan is the better hooker and we could do with a sele or winterstein when fit but for now maybe kade ellis deserves his shot ive got mitch kenny ahead of katoa.

To'o, Johns and Kenny are all outside the 29-man squad and thus ineligible to play NRL. If you're going to drop Mansour, it's for Edwards. I think Dave's Mate will keep this side for next game.

tripster

Juniors
Just saw some interesting stats posted on twitter. We have lost 21 of 28 games refereed by Klein, including our last 8 in a row.