What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Footy players who don't watch footy

VictoryFC

Bench
It’s a weird one.

On one hand, there is an argument that says accountants dont go home and watch documentararies about accountants.

On the other hand, a good majority of people who grew up playing the sport were fans of the game and you’d assume watched games or highlights and enjoyed it.

So it’s not as simple as saying that other professions dont go home and watch other people doing their job. Some professions are unique, like sport or acting. Actors almost certainly like movies you’d imagine, and watched plenty growing up.

But perhaps once you become a professional player, that mindset shifts. It becomes a job, and you no longer enjoy it as much, especially as games not involving your club become rather meaningless.

Or maybe they never enjoyed watching, and only liked playing.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Seems it's become normal now for these Gen Z types in the game, who are naturally quite simple and not very intelligent (that part hasn't changed much tbh).

They're too busy getting tattoos, playing video games, watching NBA or NFL, posting shit to Instagram, spending money on stupid shit, and calling each other 'bra' to watch the game and focus on their craft.

Darn gen z why can’t they be like firmly in gen Y josh Dugan who does all that stuff

Panther Mick

Juniors
If you don't watch football then how can you learn your oppositions weaknesses or how to improve you own game.

Puntoue

Juniors
So what you’re telling me is that of the 300+ guys that’ll play first grade this year, at least 2 of them don’t watch the game?

Bloody millennials ruining the game! #CodeInCrisis

firechild

First Grade
They would see enough in their video sessions with the coach.

I don't fix firewalls when I go home.
Kind of dumb logic. That's like saying musicians wouldn't listen to music in their down time. It's highly dependent on your job.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Pretty sure Ravalawa had more important things to do in his village then sitting in front of the TV watching endless hours of footy.

If they even had a TV in his village.

DeeJ

Bench
I will give credit to guys like Fifita and probably untold others who go out get involved in junior games.

firechild

First Grade
That is a hobby not a job
It's a hobby as much as playing footy is. Both are things that most people do for the love of it and never get paid, both are genuine careers that take hard work and dedication but can pay extremely well.

SBD82

Coach
It's a hobby as much as playing footy is. Both are things that most people do for the love of it and never get paid, both are genuine careers that take hard work and dedication but can pay extremely well.
Why do you seem so certain that career musicians spend their leisure time focused on music? Everyone needs variation in life. A writer who does nothing but write and read is going to end up producing shit. Same story with music and art.

The two players in question are from my club. I’d like to think they spend time studying the game, but if they are doing video in their work time, I’m sure they’ll benefit a lot more from that than watching the fox or nine video, which is aimed at entertainment.

firechild

First Grade
Why do you seem so certain that career musicians spend their leisure time focused on music? Everyone needs variation in life. A writer who does nothing but write and read is going to end up producing shit. Same story with music and art.

The two players in question are from my club. I’d like to think they spend time studying the game, but if they are doing video in their work time, I’m sure they’ll benefit a lot more from that than watching the fox or nine video, which is aimed at entertainment.
Where did I suggest musicians spend their leasure time focused on music? Go back to my original post.

bazza

Immortal
Common in most work places how many of you guys still think of work when you leave for the day, probably the same goes with footballers
I certainly have an interest in my skillset that I use for work and practice it outside of work and read articles on it

In a lot of jobs it is the difference between the average 'just doing the job' and skilled professionals

kdalymc

Bench
People comparing it to work have lost the plot- you grow up playing football for fun and watching it for fun,and if you get paid to play that’s a bonus.
I don’t grow up concreting concreting for fun, or watching concreting documentaries either.

That’s not to say that’s the reason for not watching it tho. If you treat it as work you’re a flog.
However yeah, I’d probably be too busy too- banging bitches and playing Sony...

SBD82

Coach
Most people listen to music. I'm not sure how you get to mean their leasure time is focused on music.
Because that was the parallel that you appeared to be drawing.

If you’re not saying that league players should also focus on Rugby league in their leisure time, what is the point that you’re making?