What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Comic Book Film Thread *** SPOILERS ***

Game_Breaker

Coach
Stands to reason that the knowledge was obtained by accessing future Nebula's memories.

As Spring said, Nebula has no knowledge of the Pym particles, or the wrist GPS thingy that Stark invented - which is something else they required. Her memory revealed the plan

Also, Thanos nor any of his minions were wearing the suits needed to enter the quantum realm.

What you just did was imagine what occurred off screen and it didn’t stand to reason. Whatever tech they came up with to time travel needed to occur on screen because they did it differently to the Avengers

Seriously, all these criticisms are just f**king crap.

If you grew up a Marvel fan before these films, these films were made for you because one of you collected the Dragon Balls and wished for all your hero's to come to life.

Be f**king greatful for this wonderful collection of movies you have that you will be able to enjoy with your children and grandchildren.

The criticisms are legitimate

I enjoyed the movie, the third act was amazing and gave the audience an incredibly fun experience. But I need to judge the movie as a whole and that doesn’t mean I ignore the gaping plot holes nor does it mean it’s better than other MCU films that were better written - that’s an insult to those films

For me, IW, Winter Soldier, Iron Man 1 are all superior films

Game_Breaker

Coach
Something else that’s confusing

When cap replaces the stones and decides to stay in the past to grow old, doesn’t the act of him staying in the past create an alternative timeline? (Ancient One and Hulk discussed this and she explicitly made this point)

If so, old man Cap wouldn’t have been able to meet Sam and Bucky in the future since he should be living in another reality

Or was it a time loop and he was always meant to eventually stay in the past and marry Peggy

shiznit

Coach
Something else that’s confusing

When cap replaces the stones and decides to stay in the past to grow old, doesn’t the act of him staying in the past create an alternative timeline? (Ancient One and Hulk discussed this and she explicitly made this point)

If so, old man Cap wouldn’t have been able to meet Sam and Bucky in the future since he should be living in another reality

Or was it a time loop and he was always meant to eventually stay in the past and marry Peggy
Fast and the furious bro... fast and the furious... :joy::joy:

shiznit

Coach
Avengers Endgame - 7/10

This is a real mixed bag, specially considering how high IW set the bar. Endgame is entertaining and engaging, and the three hours whirl past, however it's guilty of being surprisingly lazy and safe.

Captain Marvel rescuing Stark was necessary, but too easy and lost the tension set up in the trailer. Then we get the best half an hour of the movie; amazingly wasting no time in locating Thanos, killing him, abandoning hope, and fast-forwarding to a world with half the planet wiped out. The potential here was absolutely amazing, yet infuriatingly brief. We get tiny hints of PTSD, a view of the new world, and even a small tease of "hey maybe Thanos was onto something", before the second act starts.

And that's where it all derails a bit. Sure we knew time travel was going to come into it, but Ant Man and Stark basically inventing time travel with a combination of jokes, pop culture references, and 'Tony Stark Mulling'. It's as deux ex machina as it gets. They actually have a time stone plot device, amazed they didn't bother using that. Now we get lots of silly entertainment in GOTG and IM3 style which we've seen before. There's the roundup, the unlikely odds, the goofy camaraderie, the quips. It's all been done already. Surprisingly there's not many fight scenes when they go back, I did like Cap vs Cap and Stark meets Stark though. The highlights reel of previous Marvel movies was quite nicely done, albeit feeling a bit like a sitcom reunion episode, until they shoehorn Thanos into the plot.

That post-Thanos world? Gone, won't be seen again.

The third act - intelligent Thanos is replaced by big bad Thanos who, for the umpteenth time, is a black box villain with an army who invades the planet wants to destroy everything. How he managed to jump time too is just hopeless writing. Cue big epic fight, cue reunions, cue sacrifices, everyone tries to squeeze in their bit of face time, the end.

Unlike IW which somehow managed to give it's huge roster justice, Endgame is lopsided and makes the same mistakes Civil War makes. There is just far too much Cappy and Stark, especially Stark who once again basically turned this into his movie. Unfortunately his ending, while dramatic, was telegraphed in and had less impact. I thought they handled Cap's ending very well, and Nat's death was a genuine surprise albeit she and Hawkeye have been underdeveloped all throughout.

The problem is the rest of the crew. Ant Man is given far too much screen time, BannerHulk and Rocket are largely comic relief, Rhodey mopes around. They spent a bit too much time on Nebula, and surprisingly Captain Marvel had almost nothing to do. Ragnarok gave us a fun Thor, but reducing him to a goofy idiot Thor was entertaining for one scene, but the joke was stretched far too long and was almost insulting to his character. Once an otherworldly god who had mostly contempt for the Avengers, then a determined and focused fighter, now a blithering moron like Quill. Total waste.

It sounds very negative, but the movie is a lot of fun. I don't want Snyder grit, but didn't like the wasted setup and inconsistent tone. If you're happy to accept that the serious undertones of IW will be replaced with classic fast food Marvel, then this is exactly what's on the tin. I nitpick hard and find myself disappointed because of what it could have been.
As I said in an earlier post... comparing this film to IW is flawed...

IW wasn’t bound by the same rules that endgame had to follow....

I get your criticisms though... I think they are more than valid.

Matua

Bench
Brie Larson is well liked:

Wow, Youtube man babies are weird. This dude has 17 vids in his last 20 about Brie Larson/Captain Marvel.

But I guess if other man babies keep clicking on them they'll keep posting them because it's all about the $$.

Matua

Bench
As Spring said, Nebula has no knowledge of the Pym particles, or the wrist GPS thingy that Stark invented - which is something else they required. Her memory revealed the plan

Also, Thanos nor any of his minions were wearing the suits needed to enter the quantum realm.

What you just did was imagine what occurred off screen and it didn’t stand to reason. Whatever tech they came up with to time travel needed to occur on screen because they did it differently to the Avengers

The criticisms are legitimate

I enjoyed the movie, the third act was amazing and gave the audience an incredibly fun experience. But I need to judge the movie as a whole and that doesn’t mean I ignore the gaping plot holes nor does it mean it’s better than other MCU films that were better written - that’s an insult to those films

For me, IW, Winter Soldier, Iron Man 1 are all superior films
Criticisms of the film are fine, it's not perfect but does what it sets out to do - wrap up the last 20 odd films and more especially the Infinity War/Endgame duo.

The writers have been on Fatman Beyond (Kevin Smith and Marc Bernadin podcast) in the past so hopefully they come on again as they'll likely be asked about plot holes and will get to give an explanation.

However, I can suspend my disbelief for some scenes until then and agree a 7/10 is a fair rating.

Game_Breaker

Coach
I think they made Thor fat because they needed to balance the fight when he met Thanos again

He nearly beat him on his own in Infinity War with Stormbreaker, and would’ve killed him if he ‘went for the head’

A round 2 with shredded Thor wouldn’t need anyone else
Same reason they introduced Captain Marvel late in the game, she would’ve taken Thanos by herself

Criticisms of the film are fine, it's not perfect but does what it sets out to do - wrap up the last 20 odd films and more especially the Infinity War/Endgame duo.

The writers have been on Fatman Beyond (Kevin Smith and Marc Bernadin podcast) in the past so hopefully they come on again as they'll likely be asked about plot holes and will get to give an explanation.

However, I can suspend my disbelief for some scenes until then and agree a 7/10 is a fair rating.

I don’t disagree
It’s a fun film and does what it needs to do. The plot holes don’t ruin the movie

I’m not pointing out the plot holes because I hate it, I’m pointing them out to defend the other MCU films which didn’t have as many plot holes

Parra Pride

Coach
No matter how well they made/explained/etc there would still be holes in it somewhere.

My biggest gripe is not seeing howard the duck charging with the rest of them in the final act. Sort your shit out marvel

Considering they had Mantis in the all women scene, Howard the Duck wouldn't have been too much of a stretch.

Wow, Youtube man babies are weird. This dude has 17 vids in his last 20 about Brie Larson/Captain Marvel.

But I guess if other man babies keep clicking on them they'll keep posting them because it's all about the $$.

She said some dumb shit before Captain Marvel came out, but the hate boner a lot of people have towards her after it is really f**king extreme.

bileduct

Coach

There's a huge hate boner for Brie Larson.

They take any interaction between Brie and her cast mates, which is just banter, and try to put the worst possible spin on it. There's dozens of these channels that just copy off each other.

Matua

Bench

They take any interaction between Brie and her cast mates, which is just banter, and try to put the worst possible spin on it. There's dozens of these channels that just copy off each other.
It's kind of disappointing that to make money they need to go this way rather than just make stuff about shit they like.

Game Breaker: Sorry if my reply to you seemed negative, I was actually trying to support your point.

Frederick

Staff member

Not gonna lie, I honestly thought you'd be one of those with a hate boner for her

Lemon Squash

First Grade
Fluff spoilers below if anyone even cares anymore.

Personally really enjoyed it.

I had no qualms about the pace of the film at all, thought it built up the tension really well up until the final battle scene.

Agree with the general consensus that time travel movies have plenty of holes and are kinda hard to follow/believe and this is no exception to the rule. In the end of the day though do we forget it is a movie based on fkn comic books! We aren’t exactly expecting non-fiction.

Also not sure why anyone was surprised time travel was the major factor in the film anyways, IW alluded it to it heavily with Strange and the Time Stone... the fact it was done with the help of the Quantum realm instead at least made it somewhat of a surprise.

I just find it funny that in essence the universe was saved by a rat.

Zoidberg

First Grade
Saw it finally and unfortunately didn’t live up to my high expectations. Still really enjoyed it mostly, pacing was a little slow and I think they tried to put too much in there. I thought pudgy Thor was funny at first (and I can finally say I have a body like Thor), but would have much rather we seen the bad-ass Infinity War Thor going around.
Cap with Thor’s hammer was awesome.
Final battle was amazing.
Feel like I need to see it again but I don’t think it has the rewatchability factor IW has, so not sure when I will.

Frederick

Staff member
Avengers: Endgame' Decimates Record Books with $1.2 Billion Global Debut
by Brad Brevet

April 28, 2019

Heading into the weekend it was a foregone conclusion that Avengers: Endgame would deliver the largest opening weekend of all-time, both domestically and globally, but to deliver a three-day domestic gross totaling an estimated $350 million and a global weekend over $1 billion was almost inconceivable. Today that figure has become a reality as Endgame not only delivered an estimated $350 million over the course of its first three days in domestic release, but a massive $1.2 billion at the global box office in just its first five days in release.

Endgame's estimated $350 million debut will almost surely improve once actuals are revealed on Monday afternoon, but for now the film's opening is nearly $93 million larger than the previous record set by Avengers: Infinity War ($257.69 million) just last year and a whopping 90% of the overall weekend market share. After critics were overwhelmingly in support of the film heading into the weekend, the film's opening weekend crowd gave it an "A+" CinemaScore, the third such grade in the Marvel Cinematic Universe alongside The Avengers and Black Panther. The audience was 57% male and 61% was 25 years of age or older.

Looking ahead, forecasting just where exactly Endgamewill end up is near impossible, but if we were to compare to Infinity War's domestic debut, that film went on to gross nearly $680 million at the domestic box office. Should Endgame deliver a similar multiplier we're talking about a domestic performance topping $920 million, which would put it just shy of the current record domestic gross of $936.6 million set by Star Wars: The Force Awakens back in 2015. Whether Endgame is able to reach that mark will be a story for another day, but it seems safe to assume it will, at the very least, become the second largest domestic release of all-time considering the lowest multiplier for a film in the MCU is Captain America: Civil War's 2.27x, which would give Endgame a nearly $800 million domestic run.

Getting back to the film's weekend performance, a look at the the records Avengers: Endgame broke this weekend at the domestic box office include:

As already mentioned, it wasn't only domestic records that fell this weekend. Endgame's $859 million international opening is over $400 million more than the previous record set by The Fate of the Furious and the $1.2 billion in global ticket sales is nearly double the previous record of $640.5 million set by Avengers: Infinity War just last year. The film is the fastest film to ever top $1 billion globally, doing so after just five days, and it already ranks as the 18th largest worldwide release ever and the sixth largest worldwide release in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Speaking of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, the franchise's 22 films have now grossed over $19.8 billion worldwide, of which nine have topped $1 billion at the global box office.

Within that record setting global debut, Endgame delivered the #1 opening day ($107.8m) in China as well as the largest five-day opening weekend in the market ($330.5m) and already ranks as the #4 non-local film ever in the market. In addition to that, the film delivered the largest industry openings in 44 markets, including Australia ($30.8m), Korea ($47.4m), Brazil ($26m), Mexico ($33.1m), France ($24.2m, non-local), Italy ($19m, non-local), Spain ($13.3m) and the UK ($53.8m).

Here's a look at the film's top 16 markets internationally:

• China ($330.5m)
  • UK ($53.8m)
  • Korea ($47.4m)
  • Mexico ($33.1m)
  • Australia ($30.8m)
  • Germany ($26.9m)
  • India ($26.7m)
  • Brazil ($26.0m)
  • France ($24.2m)
  • Italy ($19.0m)
  • Philippines ($17.9m)
  • Thailand ($14.3m)
  • Indonesia ($14.1m)
  • Spain ($13.3m)
  • Japan ($13.0m)
  • Hong Kong ($12.5m)
  • Taiwan ($12.3m)

The film will release in Russia on Monday, April 29, serving as the final international market where the film has yet to be released.

azzah72

Bench
Looks like Avatar is toast.
I wouldn't be so sure, Avatar got the money due to being in the Christmas holiday season and had minimal drops for weeks.

It will really depend on people re-watching which I think only die-hards will where People re-watched avatar because of how awesome it looked and was a new technical concept/gimmick.

Comic book movies, regardless of how good, notoriously have pretty big drops.

This could buck the trend and deserves to but I am still not sure.

I reckon it'll get the 2 Bill easy, whether it has the staying power to get to 3 remains to be seen.