What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Captain Cranky Needed

Wittenberg

Juniors
I think McInnes has been inspirational since he has become captain. His play has risen to a whole new level and he leads by example BUT god I'd like our captain to get into a referee's face. Question, badger, complain, show anger, draw attention to poor decisions. At times I think we need to take a leaf out of RTS's book from the Warriors who said to one of the refs last week as they walked back to halfway after a try had been scored against them,

"God we are making a lot of mistakes but boy you need to pick up your game!"

gitano

Juniors
Spot on.

We get no 50/50 calls whatsoever. Their first try looked a forward pass, Tedesco runs 80 metres from an obstruction, forward passes galore..

From watching the Storm Warriors game too, it's very evident referees are making calls on how it is expected to go, rather than how it is.

At one stage tonight Melbourne knocked on in the play the ball and it was allowed to continue into a try scoring opportunity. Mind blowing.

We need someone to call the refs out and give it to them. Wear the fine who cares. McInnes shook hands with the refs at full time and gave them both a look of 'are you kidding me', but we need more.

Either that or pass the bucket around and get Jowls to let loose in the press conference.

Pro Dragons

Juniors
Spot on.

We get no 50/50 calls whatsoever. Their first try looked a forward pass, Tedesco runs 80 metres from an obstruction, forward passes galore..

From watching the Storm Warriors game too, it's very evident referees are making calls on how it is expected to go, rather than how it is.

At one stage tonight Melbourne knocked on in the play the ball and it was allowed to continue into a try scoring opportunity. Mind blowing.

We need someone to call the refs out and give it to them. Wear the fine who cares. McInnes shook hands with the refs at full time and gave them both a look of 'are you kidding me', but we need more.

Either that or pass the bucket around and get Jowls to let loose in the press conference.

We could hire Toovey just do our press conferences.

ST Tangles 01

Juniors
Not only captain cranky we need a coach who will say something at the press conference.

Doesn't have to whinge and moan.

Just a slight mention that we'll be seeking clarity from the NRL on a few decisions we believe were wrong and mention that this has be en an ongoing issue for the last few games.

Get your point across like the better coaches do.

possm

Coach
I think McInnes has been inspirational since he has become captain. His play has risen to a whole new level and he leads by example BUT god I'd like our captain to get into a referee's face. Question, badger, complain, show anger, draw attention to poor decisions. At times I think we need to take a leaf out of RTS's book from the Warriors who said to one of the refs last week as they walked back to halfway after a try had been scored against them,

"God we are making a lot of mistakes but boy you need to pick up your game!"
Since it was mentioned that Robson was moving to the Cowboys, I been keeping a close eye on McInnes's game.

In the game against Easts especially, he looked to be tiring towards the end of each half and has always given away silly penalties when tired. Indiscretions in the play the ball and failure to get on side but still involved in the tackle seem to be the main errors.

Leading up to the ANZAC day game, McInnes was leading the line speed charge, encouraging his team to keep up the line speed. He did this by leading the charge. However, during the first half of the game against Easts there was no line speed and unfortunately Mary did not send a message out to McInnes regarding this problem.

McInnes would play much better if he was rested in rotation with Robson. Robson would run more from dummy half and is used to creating a hole and often putting his edge players through that hole .

hazzbeen

Bench
Spot on.

Having McInnes as captain doesn't do it for me , we need someone who will give it to the refs , and even more , give it to the players for dumb plays .... Can't see him getting up senior players .....

Gareth67

First Grade
Spot on.

It is amazing how the ‘ expected ones “ are receiving the same leniency as they were last year . Chooks, Storm and now even the wabbits , they have in some cases only just got away with the win .

The Warriors should had taken the 2 competition points , but yet again the refs have given Melbourne a very long shadow of doubt . And it has been the same now for too many years , the opposition has played a very good game of rugby league only to be denied what IMO was rightfully theirs - a victory.

It has become so monotonous that one may as well write the top 3 on the ladder as it now stands - Chooks Cheaters and the wabbits , because regardless of what the powers to be will say , they need those teams in the semis to guarantee themselves good takings at seasons end .

And the rest of the clubs , well do they really , really care about them ? Perhaps we are just here to make up the numbers .

Last edited:

Gareth67

First Grade
As far as Captain Cranky is concerned I would had said the man that I believe most would expect , James Graham , however he is so fatigued now and the season has only just started so perhaps Tarique Simms who could be the solution and it would also help to control his occasional on field ‘ nutter ‘ outbursts that he experiences.

Last edited:

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Not only captain cranky we need a coach who will say something at the press conference.

Just a slight mention that we'll be seeking clarity from the NRL on a few decisions we believe were wrong and mention that this has be en an ongoing issue for the last few games.

Precisely.
Doesn't have to make an ass of himself, just need to be constantly in the refs ear, ah la Cam Smith.
Its the squeaky door that gets oiled.

possm

Coach
Having McInnes as captain doesn't do it for me , we need someone who will give it to the refs , and even more , give it to the players for dumb plays .... Can't see him getting up senior players .....
Nearly all the big decisions Mary makes seem odd to me.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
images

Warabrook saint

Juniors
Big red could do it while greenburg was in charge of the bulldogs.We hold no weight with the corrupt ones....they'd only cane us harder.That lowlife was smiling everytime the rorters scored a try Anzac day before awarding it.

Last edited:

Warabrook saint

Juniors

Takes intelligence

Brutalitops

Juniors
McInnes has been a good captain, but there's one important part of the ref stuff I want him to fix up.

Sometimes he is guilty of simply throwing up his hands (a personal pet hate of mine in the NRL) during live play. There have been a few moments over the last couple of weeks where he is receiving the PTB and he completely turns his head and stands there with his arms up at the ref

Now I don't care what you think of a decision, but when the ball is live, that is your priority. He wasted a full second or so doing it when we were building momentum and it took the wind out of our set.

I also don't want him to be a whiner. The best captains are ones who respect the referees, even when it goes against them. Shit happens but if you get a reputation as a pest then you will be taken less seriously over time

I know we all hate Cameron Smith and his "referee" position, but a huge part of why he gets that status is the manner he conducts himself with referees generally makes him taken more seriously in those moments. Compare that to a captain like, say, Paul Gallen, who whinges in the refs face constantly to the point even when he's right, he is often dismissed.

I always thought James Graham was the perfect mix of what you want in a captain. Fights for his opinion but never whinges. Accepts referee explanations most of the time without a stink. Gets listened to

McInnes will get there though

Latest posts