What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Comic Book Film Thread *** SPOILERS ***

Game_Breaker

Coach
I wouldn't be so sure, Avatar got the money due to being in the Christmas holiday season and had minimal drops for weeks.

It will really depend on people re-watching which I think only die-hards will where People re-watched avatar because of how awesome it looked and was a new technical concept/gimmick.

Comic book movies, regardless of how good, notoriously have pretty big drops.

This could buck the trend and deserves to but I am still not sure.

I reckon it'll get the 2 Bill easy, whether it has the staying power to get to 3 remains to be seen.

I don’t think it will get to $3B for the reasons you mentioned. Also, Avatar appealed to a wider audience and they didn’t need to have watched the previous 20 odd films

Maybe it will reach around 2.5B

Springs09

Juniors
Something else that’s confusing

When cap replaces the stones and decides to stay in the past to grow old, doesn’t the act of him staying in the past create an alternative timeline? (Ancient One and Hulk discussed this and she explicitly made this point)

If so, old man Cap wouldn’t have been able to meet Sam and Bucky in the future since he should be living in another reality

Or was it a time loop and he was always meant to eventually stay in the past and marry Peggy

Yes I brought this up before, Cap appearing at the end raises so many questions.

There's three different consequences to changing the past so far:
1. Taking an infinity stone creates an alternate timeline, one that's 'doomed' according to the ancient one. So the stones have to somehow be returned to the moment they were taken. This doesn't affect the present, but returning them would affect the alternate presents as the timelines are erased.
2. Taking other items, or people, or killing people, must also create an alternate timeline but one that doesn't need whatever was changed or taken to be returned. This also doesn't affect the present.
3. Going back to the past and remaining in the past means you remain in the main timeline and do change the present.

This raises so many questions about everything. Can you travel to the alternate timelines or can you only travel back and forward in the main timeline? For example if they went back to 2015 would Thanos be there or not? What's the present like now that Captain America has been around since the 50s or whenever it was? Can you continually go back and gain infinite infinity stones creating infinite doomed timelines? Why does taking infinity stones doom the timelines but not anything else? If Cap remained in the main timeline, what would happen if for example he caused the death of Howard Stark? Does the timeline only split once something big like that happens? Because Cap would have had to have changed a lot of small things and, given he is Cap, some large things as well. Hence why time travel is too tricky a subject and usually needs one hard and fast rule.

Also how did Stark wield all the stones when it took Thanos and Hulk quite a while to gain control over them and 4 of the guardians to control one.

Springs09

Juniors
Am I the only one who thought Avatar while visually stunning was as boring as Batshit??

Haven’t seen it since I watched it at the cinema and I doubt I will again.

Was it simply the 3D gimmick that got it so much money? I never understood the hype. I understood why Titanic and LOTR made a billion, but Avatar is such strange subject matter to hold the record. It also seems to be largely forgotten.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Cap needed a send off and until somone comes up with a better one that doesn't include him getting his ass handed to him by thanos i'll just accept the holes in it and enjoy

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
i was kind of joking when i made this comment on the previous pages but i damn i hope this isn't fake

IMG-0311.jpg

Game_Breaker

Coach
Unless Avatar 2 introduces something entirely new to the cinema experience I highly doubt it.

I think most people are over 3D. I only saw a handful of films in 3D after the first Avatar film before coming to the conclusion that I preferred 2D.

It’s definitely a gimmick

A bigger gimmick is the 4D crap that Event cinemas are doing, basically the seat shakes during action scene or something

That’s just annoying

Matua

Bench
Unless Avatar 2 introduces something entirely new to the cinema experience I highly doubt it.

I think most people are over 3D. I only saw a handful of films in 3D after the first Avatar film before coming to the conclusion that I preferred 2D.
I've never seen Avatar, unsure how I missed it when it came out and then thought there's no point seeing it in 2D. I assume it will be re-released before the new films so I'll get my chance to see it then.

I think I've seen 3 films in total in 3D, one was because I'd never seen a 3D movie, one was because it was a mates birthday, and for some reason I allowed friends to convince me to watch Mortal Engines in 3D. Avatar will likely be my 4th and last.

azzah72

Bench
It’s definitely a gimmick

A bigger gimmick is the 4D crap that Event cinemas are doing, basically the seat shakes during action scene or something

That’s just annoying

That and it was the director or Terminator 2 and Titanic "with his new modern masterpiece"

I remember the ads.

I also think it's a time when "event cinema" started to pick back up. This, the Dark Knight etc.

Only Lord of the rings I think had that momentum prior from memory otherwise it was just "going to the movies".

MCU has taken that and built to a point where this is the pinnacle, we'll probably never see something like this again in our lifetime.

Cameron did it on the first movie based on reputation and a shiny new toy

bileduct

Coach
The way they went about killing off Black Widow was lame as f**k.

If that was supposed to be an emotional moment for audiences it utterly failed on all levels.

natheel

Coach
As a movie on its own (just a random not knowing he much) they probably wouldn’t think much of it but it concludes what the MCU has been building too (as if the mcu is one big saga) especially the avengers storyline (slowly seeing Thanos control things and trying to get the stones throughout) infinity war/endgame was the conclusion.

I thought they did a great job. Also helping set up the next phase too in terms of the heroes who are still involves.

Timbo

Staff member
I have found myself wondering how much longer the MCU will run for.

The only other movie franchise that's managed to carry this level of success for this many movies is James Bond really, and it has had gaps of between two and five years between films so people go in fresh again (and even adjusted for inflation it still doesn't make anywhere near the money of MCU movies).

Will the end of the infinity saga take some wind out of the sails or will it keep on ticking across?

PJ

First Grade
I have found myself wondering how much longer the MCU will run for.

The only other movie franchise that's managed to carry this level of success for this many movies is James Bond really, and it has had gaps of between two and five years between films so people go in fresh again (and even adjusted for inflation it still doesn't make anywhere near the money of MCU movies).

Will the end of the infinity saga take some wind out of the sails or will it keep on ticking across?

I expect a drop tbh.

Admittedly not in their core demo, but certainly one that has boosted their sales having seen all in the cinemas and generally with my youngest kid, but I have no interest in the remaining characters except Guardians (and will wait for reviews I trust after the last one was so bad) and Spidey.

I suspect that there will be a reasonable amount of audience like me.

Generalzod

Immortal

Are you ready for 4dx event cinemas are promoting this now at the George street cinema...

Latest posts