What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tom Dearden

T-Boon

Coach
What is his deal?

18 years of age and playing in the legendary Broncos number 7 jersey.

Is he the next big thing?

blaza88z

Coach
I don't get the hype

His highlights look like every other junior "star" that's come through.

Can't wait for him to run the ball, get tackled and Joey say "there was a lot of Lockyer about that run"

We don't need a player who can make the highlight reels, we need a guy who can kick long, organize the team and put his body on the line in defense, Milford will make many of highlight reels if he can do that

The unknown

Juniors
We don't need a player who can make the highlight reels, we need a guy who can kick long, organize the team and put his body on the line in defense, Milford will make many of highlight reels if he can do that

That's fine but there's already expectations that he's the saviour before he's even ran onto the field

T-Boon

Coach
Got a tough assignment first up. I'm sure one S. Burgess will be testing his shoulders all night.

This is true and the way RL is.
I hate it. It is bad sport.
Highly skilled young halves are like hens teeth and it stinks that they have to be Cleary types (eg big enough to be able to tackle well) to make it to the top, never mind they don't have much skill or entertainment value.
I would allow halves and hookers to be subbed out of the game in defence so that this targeting does not happen. Big men running at little men is piss weak.
Imagine the skill level of halves if skill is what rose to the top rather than all rounder'ness.

blaza88z

Coach
To be fair to him we haven't had a great #7 in a very long time but I get what you're saying, he's playing as a key half in a big club, a lot to be expected against a tear away pack who will be running at him all night

Highly skilled young halves are like hens teeth and it stinks that they have to be Cleary types (eg big enough to be able to tackle well) to make it to the top, never mind they don't have much skill or entertainment value.
I would allow halves and hookers to be subbed out of the game in defence so that this targeting does not happen. Big men running at little men is piss weak.
Imagine the skill level of halves if skill is what rose to the top rather than all rounder'ness.

No way... Mismatches are what Rugby League is all about.

Big guys isolating small guys and trying to run over the top of them. Little guys trying to isolate tired big guys and go round them.

That is the essence of Rugby League.

myrrh ken

First Grade

https://playnrl.com/framework/pdfprograms/weight-related-competitions/wr-research/

Go out and enjoy these junior comps and quit complaining.

T-Boon

Coach
No way... Mismatches are what Rugby League is all about.

Big guys isolating small guys and trying to run over the top of them. Little guys trying to isolate tired big guys and go round them.

That is the essence of Rugby League.

I think the essence of RL was established well before total monsters like the Burgess boys became part of the game.
This aspect of the game you are talking about was reasonable when fatigue was a legit part of the sport but it simply is not any more and really never will be again with full time professionalism, wrestling and sport science the way it is.
Every time Dearden has to tackle Burgess, think about the mums that just decided their kid is not playing RL.

Last edited:

Latest posts