What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gimpberg strikes again

The unknown

Juniors
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...h/news-story/b349400dd2d458bf98310ed262a8ada4

C&P

Benji Marshall has done more for rugby league than most players in the game’s history, let alone this generation.
Throughout his illustrious career, Marshall has been one of the game’s biggest drawcards — and the amount of fans he has brought to the sport just to watch his magic would have made millions upon millions in revenue in Australia and New Zealand.
Throughout it all, Benji never embarrassed himself on or off the field, and was pretty much the instigator of a Kiwi revolution. But apparently that still does not qualify Benji for an end-of-season testimonial.
And under the NRL’s ridiculous guidelines, Robbie Farah won’t be getting one, either.
In their glorious wisdom, the NRL has told the two Tigers champions that they don’t meet the same criteria that was afforded to Cameron Smith, Johnathan Thurston and, somewhat reluctantly, John Sutton.
Talk about rules for some and rules for others. Get this. The reason is because Marshall and Farah have not played their entire careers at one club.
We all know they were forced out back when the Tigers were going through some difficult years.
But Benji has still played 225 NRL games for the Tigers (292 all up) and meets every other criteria, while Farah has 263 Tigers games (289 all up) and meets all other guidelines.
The NRL is forgetting JT played the early part of his career at Canterbury. And while Thurston and Smith were on $1 million contracts, this year Marshall is playing for $170,000 and Farah is on $190,000, not much above minimum NRL wage.
The NRL will say it has been given the green light to have a testimonial dinner but what about the fans who might also want to celebrate what should be such a wonderful occasion? It is rubbish and let’s hope it is not too late to overturn.

Only rules for some it seems

Growing up playing footy I wonder who actually idolized Cam Smith over Marshall. If you watched any junior footy over the past few years there is still kids trying to do the "Marshall" step or the flick pass etc. You don't see kids backchatting to refs, handing over Brown paper bags like Smith did

And the fact that Farah and Marshall were willing to take pay cuts should be the icing on the cake for me, Smith shook every last bit of cent out of Melbourne's salary cap.

Das Hassler

Bench
I won't argue Farah"s status at all but through his long career Benji has done for the NRL what Valentino Rossi has done for Motogp...they are the inspirational icons of their era who's pictures adorned the bedroom walls of most of the young guys coming through now.

Just to add....if you went into any shopping centre anywhere in the country and asked people at random. .." have you heard of Benji Marshall? .....have you heard of Cameron Smith ?"....i'll bet it would be 3 :1 at least

Last edited:

Magpies Forever

Juniors
I don't like the testimonial concept but I'm still scratching my head figuring out what criterion applies. I'm assuming include something notable in their career and promotion of the code. I don't care about being a one club player or even 300 games. I'm happy with 250. Also if testimonial given player should not be allowed to play following season (Cam Smith I'm looking at you). I don't care about code swapping within a career as long as career has been predominantly league and league is last stop. Also shouldn't just the last match of the season be the testimonial or maybe in the SOO time to promote greater interest in the club matches.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
I won't argue Farah"s status at all but through his long career Benji has done for the NRL what Valentino Rossi has done for Motogp...they are the inspirational icons of their era who's pictures adorned the bedroom walls of most of the young guys coming through now.

Just to add....if you went into any shopping centre anywhere in the country and asked people at random. .." have you heard of Benji Marshall? .....have you heard of Cameron Smith ?"....i'll bet it would be 3 :1 at least
And the one person who had heard of Smith would say he was a grub.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Don't complain about the players who get one, that really is not the point.

Who are these people who deny players money. Channel your anger.

The unknown

Juniors
Don't complain about the players who get one, that really is not the point.

Who are these people who deny players money. Channel your anger.

That really wasn't the point of me making this thread

More so pointing out the obvious agenda the CEO has against our team over questionable calls constantly being reamed at us from the top. This is just the icing on the cake

Tiger Ted

Bench
Even John f**king Sutton gets one lol, an average player his whole career. Yet the WTs biggest icons who's achieved almost everything in the game can't get a gig.
The bum Sutton ought to b extremely thankful to Madge for helping turn his career around.

super_coach

First Grade
Iam okay with the NRL giving it the thumbs down, but only if everyone else is on the same playing field. In fact I would rather not have them at all because it opens a massive can of worms. I would rather see the clubs free to reward who ever they like through a event organised by the club.
The trouble is Greenberg has already said he doesn’t like the word consistency, because he wants to be able to do what he wants. NRL leadership has hit rock bottom

Smith gets one, his team were systematically rorting the books.

Thurston gets one, fair enough, he's a dual premiership winner, 3 time golden boot and been instrumental in QLD's origin dominance and possibly a future immortal.

John Sutton gets one. Other than getting to 300 games at one club, he wouldn't have a premiership ring without GI, Reynolds and the Burgii. Bog average player for most of his career. Chris Heighington should be asking where's his burrito...

Benji has played 290 odd games over 17 seasons, was the promotional posterchild of the NRL, was the games best player in 2010, a premiership winner.

I am against the whole idea of testimonials in the sense that the money should not be filtering to the players in question. It circumvents the cap, the players in question have played 300 games so they should have made more than enough off the back of the game. Have them by all means but the profits should go to charity. That and the totally arbitrary manner in which the NRL decides who gets them.

What's the bet the NRL will approve one for Gallen.

Tigerm

First Grade
The money these blokes are on, no one should get them.

I wonder if it will be part of the clubs salary cap?

Tiger05

First Grade
Iam okay with the NRL giving it the thumbs down, but only if everyone else is on the same playing field. In fact I would rather not have them at all because it opens a massive can of worms. I would rather see the clubs free to reward who ever they like through a event organised by the club.
The trouble is Greenberg has already said he doesn’t like the word consistency, because he wants to be able to do what he wants. NRL leadership has hit rock bottom

I completely agree. This option shouldn't exist. We need consistency in the way the game is managed. Inglis contract for instance should come out of Souths salary cap.

glockers

Juniors
Let them retire and post retirement announce a testimonial. Name the team the Balmain Boys and invite a Barbarians side. Then sell the TV rights to the game as its own entity. NRL doesn't get a cent.

They just happen to have NRL players, completely coincidental. We can all show up to Leichardt and chant f**k you NRL.

Latest posts