What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Comic Book Film Thread *** SPOILERS ***

bileduct

Coach
Are you ready for 4dx event cinemas are promoting this now at the George street cinema...

That looks absolutely f**king geniused.

This shit has been around for decades. There was a 4-D theater at The World of Coca Cola in Atlanta when I was there and it was lame.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
That looks absolutely f**king geniused.

This shit has been around for decades. There was a 4-D theater at The World of Coca Cola in Atlanta when I was there and it was lame.
I went to the one at universal Studios in 2000. Had been there for awhile

shiznit

Coach
Am I the only one who thought Avatar while visually stunning was as boring as Batshit??

Haven’t seen it since I watched it at the cinema and I doubt I will again.
It was straight up Pocahauntas in space...

Seriously....

images

hrundi99

First Grade
Yeah the 3D in the cinema and some of the CGI was pretty cool but it's not a particularly great movie. I haven't watched it in years, and when I did it was only to take my new 4K tv at the time for a spin.

Timbo

Staff member
There does seem to be a sub-sect of people who are really hanging out for it, largely based upon the fact that Cameron did Aliens and Terminator II and is the king of the action sequel.

I just don't think Avatar has the popular legacy of Terminator or Alien. Is anyone still talking about it beyond it's rabid group of fanatics on Reddit? As pointed out above, it's just Pocahontas (or Fern Gully. Or Dances With Wolves. Or about ten others.).. in space!!!

Cameron has really doubled the f**k down on it too, by filming it concurrently with Avatar 3 with a combined budget of $500 million. When you factor in marketing, the studio is holding a $1 billion baby here that maybe not that many people are keen on. The word is he wanted to start production on parts four and five immediately as well but the studio wants to see how part two is received first.

I know James Cameron has a legendarily massive ego, but the fact he thinks that people are still so, so keen for more Avatar stories over a decade after the first one disappeared out of popular consciousness to the tune that he wants to spend a billion dollars on production before a single dollar is returned on it is utterly mind-blowing.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
There does seem to be a sub-sect of people who are really hanging out for it, largely based upon the fact that Cameron did Aliens and Terminator II and is the king of the action sequel.

I just don't think Avatar has the popular legacy of Terminator or Alien. Is anyone still talking about it beyond it's rabid group of fanatics on Reddit? As pointed out above, it's just Pocahontas (or Fern Gully. Or Dances With Wolves. Or about ten others.).. in space!!!

Cameron has really doubled the f**k down on it too, by filming it concurrently with Avatar 3 with a combined budget of $500 million. When you factor in marketing, the studio is holding a $1 billion baby here that maybe not that many people are keen on. The word is he wanted to start production on parts four and five immediately as well but the studio wants to see how part two is received first.

I know James Cameron has a legendarily massive ego, but the fact he thinks that people are still so, so keen for more Avatar stories over a decade after the first one disappeared out of popular consciousness to the tune that he wants to spend a billion dollars on production before a single dollar is returned on it is utterly mind-blowing.
Wow, just wow.

Definately doesn't have the same star wars/marvels ring to it. I will probably go see it but i don't expect to see the same sort of hype with reaction videos of the trailers being posted on youtube and midnight premiers being sold out etc. Just isn't a story people have grown up with

shiznit

Coach
Funny thing is... isn’t Avatar a fox property now disney??

So whether it’s Marvel, Star Wars or Avatar... that f**king mouse gets PAID!! :joy::joy:

greenBV4

Bench
Funny thing is... isn’t Avatar a fox property now disney??

So whether it’s Marvel, Star Wars or Avatar... that f**king mouse gets PAID!! :joy::joy:
They'll go after Sony next so they don't have to worry about "loans" for spiderman

Then all that's really left is Warner Bros, they'll eventually by them out and then we'll have batman and superman hanging out in the MCU haha

shiznit

Coach
They'll go after Sony next so they don't have to worry about "loans" for spiderman

Then all that's really left is Warner Bros, they'll eventually by them out and then we'll have batman and superman hanging out in the MCU haha

You’d think they wouldn’t get much more through regulators...

I honestly think a big reason this deal got through was because Trump was doing a solid for his good mate Rupert...

Not to mention i don’t think Disney are actually focused on other traditional studios like Sony at the moment...

Disney’s gaze looks fairly set on Netflix and Amazon at the moment and with Disney+ and Hulu they are looking for content... which is why they were ultimately keen on Fox.

Danish

Referee
Just saw it.

A fair enough end to my marvel movie watching.

The only part in the entire thing that made my eyes roll was the “girl power” moment in the final battle. Not because they were women, but because we have Captain Marvel - who just torpedoed thanos’s entire ship with her own body - having a woman with a pointy stick saying she’ll protect her.

On captain marvel, turned out to be a bit useless in the end, didn’t she? Comes in guns blazing for 2 minutes, then Thanos effectively grabs wipes the shit eating grin off her face with one punch and she’s never seen from again for the rest of the battle.

I like s that they didn’t feel the need to go all game of thrones and just kill everyone. These aren’t kids movies after all.

shiznit

Coach
You'd have to be a bit of a genius to think it's a good thing for one company to own all of this shit.
You have to be geniused to throw out a simplistic statement like that... or agree with it for that matter.

Whether it’s good or bad completely depends on how it affects you.

For film makers trying to get more films greenlit by a studio it takes away the options and makes it more difficult to get that done.... especially edgy content which may not vibe with Disney’s MO.

For people who actually work in the industry across all levels the will lose work. So if any of them like it then they are geniused.

But it certainly won’t be geniused for consumers of the massive amount of content Disney now hold.

Disney+ may end up amazing and be brilliant for consumers...

bileduct

Coach
You have to be geniused to throw out a simplistic statement like that... or agree with it for that matter.

Whether it’s good or bad completely depends on how it affects you.

For film makers trying to get more films greenlit by a studio it takes away the options and makes it more difficult to get that done.... especially edgy content which may not vibe with Disney’s MO.

For people who actually work in the industry across all levels the will lose work. So if any of them like it then they are geniused.

But it certainly won’t be geniused for consumers of the massive amount of content Disney now hold.

Disney+ may end up amazing and be brilliant for consumers...
So people are going to lose jobs, the diversity of content will decrease, but hey, some dumbshits will have access to a huge back catalog of content on a streaming service.

We're currently in an era where originality on the cinema screen is deader than dead. Look at the major releases for each of the top film studios with the exception of The Weinstein Company... They are all franchises with sequels, some numbering into the double digits, among a sea of shitty reboots and "re-imaginings" that are all cashing in on audience loyalty and nostalgia. Do you really think Captain Marvel banked over $1B and became the second highest solo MCU movie in box office receipts because it was a good film? No. People went and saw it because they are loyal to Marvel Studios. It was mediocre at best. Consolidation of film studios will only make things worse.

Look at Disney's upcoming schedule of films... Aladdin, Toy Story 4, The Lion King, Sister Act 3, Frozen 2, Star Wars 9, Maleficent: Mistress of Evil, Mulan, Jungle Cruise, Indiana Jones 5, Hunchback, Guardians of the Galaxy 3, Avatar 2, Lady and the Tramp. A parade of death by sequel and remake horseshit, but horseshit that will sell lots of tickets at the box office to geniuss and give Disney even more money to buy out more film studios just to pad out the content on their shitty streaming service.

CBS All Access is already proving that attempts to corner the streaming services market by milking franchises results in the production of low quality horseshit like Star Trek: Discovery and The Twilight Zone, and those are their flagship shows.

Any consumer that thinks it'll be great and convenient that they'll be able to watch all the old Die Hard movies on their Disney streaming subscription at the expense of diversity in content at the cinema screen is an absolute f**king genius.

Last edited:

Matua

Bench
So people are going to lose jobs, the diversity of content will decrease, but hey, some dumbshits will have access to a huge back catalog of content on a streaming service.

We're currently in an era where originality on the cinema screen is deader than dead. Look at the major releases for each of the top film studios with the exception of The Weinstein Company... They are all franchises with sequels, some numbering into the double digits, among a sea of shitty reboots and "re-imaginings" that are all cashing in on audience loyalty and nostalgia. Do you really think Captain Marvel banked over $1B and became the second highest solo MCU movie in box office receipts because it was a good film? No. People went and saw it because they are loyal to Marvel Studios. It was mediocre at best. Consolidation of film studios will only make things worse.

Look at Disney's upcoming schedule of films... Aladdin, Toy Story 4, The Lion King, Sister Act 3, Frozen 2, Star Wars 9, Maleficent: Mistress of Evil, Mulan, Jungle Cruise, Indiana Jones 5, Hunchback, Guardians of the Galaxy 3, Avatar 2, Lady and the Tramp. A parade of death by sequel and remake horseshit, but horseshit that will sell lots of tickets at the box office to geniuss and give Disney even more money to buy out more film studios just to pad out the content on their shitty streaming service.

CBS All Access is already proving that attempts to corner the streaming services market by milking franchises results in the production of low quality horseshit like Star Trek: Discovery and The Twilight Zone, and those are their flagship shows.

Any consumer that thinks it'll be great and convenient that they'll be able to watch all the old Die Hard movies on their Disney streaming subscription at the expense of diversity in content at the cinema screen is an absolute f**king genius.
While I think you've gone a bit overboard with your "parade of death by sequel and remake horeshit*" (which is a damn good line TBF) and I enjoyed Captain Marvel and know a bunch of people who felt the same, I too can't understand why people aren't more concerned about Disney gobbling up Fox.

It is a weird time for consumers though, there are so many platforms producing content (TV rather than just cinema) that it's an area where a consolidation might be welcomed.

Also, on a personal level I don't want to see the MCU and XMU combine yet I'm resigned to that happening eventually.

* (With the obvious caveat that it's data from one person) I checked my Cinebuzz account and 60% of the movies I saw there last year weren't remakes or franchises and that doesn't include moves at Palace Cinemas/Dendy.

Springs09

Juniors
While I think you've gone a bit overboard with your "parade of death by sequel and remake horeshit*" (which is a damn good line TBF) and I enjoyed Captain Marvel and know a bunch of people who felt the same, I too can't understand why people aren't more concerned about Disney gobbling up Fox.

It is a weird time for consumers though, there are so many platforms producing content (TV rather than just cinema) that it's an area where a consolidation might be welcomed.

Also, on a personal level I don't want to see the MCU and XMU combine yet I'm resigned to that happening eventually.

* (With the obvious caveat that it's data from one person) I checked my Cinebuzz account and 60% of the movies I saw there last year weren't remakes or franchises and that doesn't include moves at Palace Cinemas/Dendy.

I’m not a fan of Disney going around buying everyone out but something has to be done about these streaming services. Netflix was fine but now there’s gonna be ten different streaming platforms and all of them will have only 2 or 3 shows worth watching, meaning if you want to watch all the shows you want you’re looking at paying $100 a month. The cost is the reason people switch from foxtel to streaming yet there’ll be so many of them that foxtel will be the cheaper option again.

Danish

Referee
I’m not a fan of Disney going around buying everyone out but something has to be done about these streaming services. Netflix was fine but now there’s gonna be ten different streaming platforms and all of them will have only 2 or 3 shows worth watching, meaning if you want to watch all the shows you want you’re looking at paying $100 a month. The cost is the reason people switch from foxtel to streaming yet there’ll be so many of them that foxtel will be the cheaper option again.

Welcome to high school economics.

Shit it’s almost like it actually costs money to produce TV shows and movies or something

Latest posts