What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paul Green

AJB1102

First Grade
Coen Hess's tumble has been disgraceful. Had a great first year but has been picked apart in defense and nullified in attack. Has had nothing added to his game. Disappointing as I liked the look of him and I go for QLD.

Whip Whitaker

Juniors
Trouble is brewing in Townsville. I don't believe Paul Green is going to last the season, and nothing related to any of the points I made in this thread but other factors I am aware of.

At the end of the day, I just want my team to perform (with or without Green). A loss tonight and he is a dead man walking. However I could never cheer against my team, so I'll still cheer for the W.

King hit

Coach
Trouble is brewing in Townsville. I don't believe Paul Green is going to last the season, and nothing related to any of the points I made in this thread but other factors I am aware of.

At the end of the day, I just want my team to perform (with or without Green). A loss tonight and he is a dead man walking. However I could never cheer against my team, so I'll still cheer for the W.

You should be able to beat the Titans. They hardly ever win in Townsville and they are even worse then the Cowboys

Whip Whitaker

Juniors
You should be able to beat the Titans. They hardly ever win in Townsville and they are even worse then the Cowboys

Yeah we should, but lately, it has been a struggle to score more than two tries. We have patches of good defence, but then concede a soft try or two we shouldn't have. Suddenly we are under more pressure as we don't have the tries in us to out score an opposition. Then we end up letting in more tries

Whip Whitaker

Juniors
Now he drops young Clifford who he has been throwing under the bus every week.

I can't understand how some of our good young prospects like Clifford, Gela-Mosby, Dunn and Jensen keep getting treated like this while dad's army keep getting picked.

davi

Juniors
Might be a tad early to be getting uppity about Green. The post JT era has only just started, and considering how big of a loss he is, being 1 and 1 isn't all THAT bad. 5 weeks down the line, if the Cows are still barely clinging on to somewhere between 10th and 12th, maybe you can start asking questions.

Cowboys are coming 13th and some in the media are now calling for Cowboys to make a change. Do I think anything will come of it? No the contract they gave Paul Green would make it hard for the club to swallow to pay him out especially with two years remaining on it. I think Green will be there for another year. It would be interesting to see which way the Cowboys go if Green does exits (a club assistant, a QLD coach, or an outsider from NSW). I know some have on this forum have suggested the late Graham Murray bumped heads with some in the club but on the outside looking in you have to think bringing in an outside voice worked out well for the club despite his tenure ending.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/e0adde713b583ac4dff7343e625c8925

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Cowboys are coming 13th and some in the media are now calling for Cowboys to make a change. Do I think anything will come of it? No the contract they gave Paul Green would make it hard for the club to swallow to pay him out especially with two years remaining on it. I think Green will be there for another year. It would be interesting to see which way the Cowboys go if Green does exits (a club assistant, a QLD coach, or an outsider from NSW). I know some have on this forum have suggested the late Graham Murray bumped heads with some in the club but on the outside looking in you have to think bringing in an outside voice worked out well for the club despite his tenure ending.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/e0adde713b583ac4dff7343e625c8925

I don't think Green's job should be at risk necessarily, but he has absolutely flown under the radar this year as the likes of Magregor, Brennan and Cleary have been absorbing the attention.

Time for the Cowboys to make the right move and sack Paul Green.
Green has made some dud decisions over the last couple of seasons. Putting Ben Hampton on the wing in Round 1 was as dumb as it gets, and was compounded by O'Neil being taken out of the game early by TPJ's cheap shot that should have seen him sent off. Green kept on persisting with Hampton until he was targeted and exposed a couple of weeks ago under the high ball.

Selecting Granville for so long when his service from dummy half is not up to standard put the team behind the eight ball and shows Green doesn't learn quick enough.

Hess and Drinkwater are a liability in defence. If Green selects them on the left edge at 5/8 and 2nd row Newcastle will rack up 50.

Whip Whitaker

Juniors
Green has made some dud decisions over the last couple of seasons. Putting Ben Hampton on the wing in Round 1 was as dumb as it gets, and was compounded by O'Neil being taken out of the game early by TPJ's cheap shot that should have seen him sent off. Green kept on persisting with Hampton until he was targeted and exposed a couple of weeks ago under the high ball.

Selecting Granville for so long when his service from dummy half is not up to standard put the team behind the eight ball and shows Green doesn't learn quick enough.

Hess and Drinkwater are a liability in defence. If Green selects them on the left edge at 5/8 and 2nd row Newcastle will rack up 50.

Paul Green has been stubborn in his selections since the 2015 grand final. He is extremely reluctant to change the status quo from style of play to the players he selects. How Cooper and Granville still kept being extended by the club in spite of so clearly being past it highlights Green has so little trust in the next generation. One could argue that the next generation within the club is not that good, but that didn't stop Ponga, Hughes, Kikau, Brandon Smith and others from going on and doing well at other clubs.

This year has seen Green finally pick a significant amount of rookies and young players. His hands were forced, however, through injuries, suspensions, and very poor play from players such as Granville and Hampton. As a result, we've ended up being like the Siebold Broncos where we have a bunch of kids getting belted at the moment. Why? Because they all got thrown into the deep end together at once instead of being integrated into the squad previously over the last 3 years.

Green seriously should have evolved the squad sooner. The Cowboys have been terrible for 2.5 years, and to add insult, we haven't even considered evolving the squad until the last fortnight. In other words, we could have at least utilised the last two years at the bottom of the ladder by at least experimenting a bit with our wider roster. Instead, we've been rubbish for two seasons without even trying anything new.

I think the club has also got a bit desperate in the recruitment and retention. We lost Tamou so later threw that money at Jordan McLean to try and get the same player (it didn't work as McLean looks like Tarzan but plays like Jane). Not that we will ever publicly admit we stuffed up with Ponga, but we tried to make up for losing Ponga and threw the cheque book at Val Holmes (the jury is out) after having already botched things by extending a busted Coote, and then later signing a troubled Barba. We gave Morgan the JT kind of dollars after only half a good season of footy in 2017, and Morgo has been barely seen since that season, physically and mentally.

Paul Green has been stubborn in his selections since the 2015 grand final. He is extremely reluctant to change the status quo from style of play to the players he selects. How Cooper and Granville still kept being extended by the club in spite of so clearly being past it highlights Green has so little trust in the next generation. One could argue that the next generation within the club is not that good, but that didn't stop Ponga, Hughes, Kikau, Brandon Smith and others from going on and doing well at other clubs.

This year has seen Green finally pick a significant amount of rookies and young players. His hands were forced, however, through injuries, suspensions, and very poor play from players such as Granville and Hampton. As a result, we've ended up being like the Siebold Broncos where we have a bunch of kids getting belted at the moment. Why? Because they all got thrown into the deep end together at once instead of being integrated into the squad previously over the last 3 years.

Green seriously should have evolved the squad sooner. The Cowboys have been terrible for 2.5 years, and to add insult, we haven't even considered evolving the squad until the last fortnight. In other words, we could have at least utilised the last two years at the bottom of the ladder by at least experimenting a bit with our wider roster. Instead, we've been rubbish for two seasons without even trying anything new.

I think the club has also got a bit desperate in the recruitment and retention. We lost Tamou so later threw that money at Jordan McLean to try and get the same player (it didn't work as McLean looks like Tarzan but plays like Jane). Not that we will ever publicly admit we stuffed up with Ponga, but we tried to make up for losing Ponga and threw the cheque book at Val Holmes (the jury is out) after having already botched things by extending a busted Coote, and then later signing a troubled Barba. We gave Morgan the JT kind of dollars after only half a good season of footy in 2017, and Morgo has been barely seen since that season, physically and mentally.
Green has buggered the next generation of players at the club. The way he treats Clifford really upsets me. The young bloke is the future of the club and should have been given the last 2 seasons to test himself week in, week out in the NRL. Green kept on dropping him which did nothing for the kid's game. Morgan is not an organising half and his kicking game is unreliable, but Green keeps on picking him at halfback. He's a fast and powerful ball runner who would do so much more damage in the centres.

Green pushed Ethan Lowe out of the club, too. His game improved at Souths.

Hess is a gun when used as an impact player off the bench, limited to about 35 minutes of game time so he can run hard and fast and not have to worry about conserving himself. He doesn't have the stamina to play the full 80 and make the impact he did back in 2017 when he came on midway through the first half.

I'd love to see Mitch Dunn and John Asiata pair up in the second row. They're gifted ball players and would add second phase to both sides of the field. Drinkwater, Robson, Holmes or Clifford moving up in support would add another 10 or 15 metres from the offload

Whip Whitaker

Juniors
Green has buggered the next generation of players at the club. The way he treats Clifford really upsets me. The young bloke is the future of the club and should have been given the last 2 seasons to test himself week in, week out in the NRL. Green kept on dropping him which did nothing for the kid's game. Morgan is not an organising half and his kicking game is unreliable, but Green keeps on picking him at halfback. He's a fast and powerful ball runner who would do so much more damage in the centres.

Green pushed Ethan Lowe out of the club, too. His game improved at Souths.

Hess is a gun when used as an impact player off the bench, limited to about 35 minutes of game time so he can run hard and fast and not have to worry about conserving himself. He doesn't have the stamina to play the full 80 and make the impact he did back in 2017 when he came on midway through the first half.

I'd love to see Mitch Dunn and John Asiata pair up in the second row. They're gifted ball players and would add second phase to both sides of the field. Drinkwater, Robson, Holmes or Clifford moving up in support would add another 10 or 15 metres from the offload

I think Paul Green's double standards have really hurt the club. Players like O'Neil can go missing for 2-3 years and never be dropped. Likewise, we can extend Granville and Cooper when they barely look park football standard at the moment. Yet, if Green sees some rookie come in and make the same mistakes, he throws them under the bus in interviews (cough, Clifford), drops them from the team (cough, Clifford) or lets them move to another club where they end up having a better career anyway.

It's amazing to look around the league and see so many players the Cowboys/ Green let go that would have us in a better position now if they were still Cowboys. Kalyn Ponga, Bradon Smith, Jahrome Hughes, Viliame Kikau, Corey Horsburgh, Enari Tuala etc. Plus James Tamou and Ethan Lowe are two of our premiership players we let go rather than some of the other deadwood we still.

davi

Juniors
People on this forum suggesting the Cowboys 'let go' of Kalyn Ponga are rewriting history. There is no way the Cowboys could have matched that offer from the Knights unless Thurston had retired a year earlier. They offered a half million a year for him to stay and he chose the Knights.

Reactions: Vee

Sphagnum

Coach
Some of the non efforts in the first half the other night were embarrassing. They really only papered over the cracks because the tigers started dropping like flies or their season would be well and truly over.

Green should absolutely be right up there in the coaches who need gone discussions. Not sure how he has had a free ride all year again.

Whip Whitaker

Juniors
People on this forum suggesting the Cowboys 'let go' of Kalyn Ponga are rewriting history. There is no way the Cowboys could have matched that offer from the Knights unless Thurston had retired a year earlier. They offered a half million a year for him to stay and he chose the Knights.

Money play its part, but there is no way Ponga's representatives wanted him to be stuck behind Coote long-term when they felt he was NRL ready.

axl rose

Bench

giphy.gif

beave

Coach
Money play its part, but there is no way Ponga's representatives wanted him to be stuck behind Coote long-term when they felt he was NRL ready.

It wasn’t exactly long term, he only had to wait a year past the end of his current contract with NQ and Coote was gone at the end of 2018. Ponga would have got a heap of game time in 2018 with NQ as well as Coote barely played that year due injury.His dipshit old man even came out to the media and said during early 2016 when Coote signed again ‘He’s happy to wait out his time under Coote’ or words to that effect, 4-5 months later something changed his mind.....(shit loads of extra cash I’d say, and good on Kalyn for getting it)

Green needs to go, he was far too loyal to the majority of the 2015 squad and some of his pet favourites. He has set us back 2-3years probably more, I cannot wait to see the back of him. The honeymoon period of 14-17 is well and truly over.

Last edited:

Whip Whitaker

Juniors
Green needs to go, he was far too loyal to the majority of the 2015 squad and some of his pet favourites. He has set us back 2-3years probably more, I cannot wait to see the back of him. The honeymoon period of 14-17 is well and truly over.

Senior players are complacent because Green will never drop them. Young players cannot have a go because Green micromanagers them, destroys their confidence, throws them under the bus in the media, and drops them for mistakes the senior players get away with on a weekly basis.