What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If JDB is out who comes in?

Frank Facer

First Grade
and bring him on as such and of course move Lomax to the forwards...……….McGregor's grand plan.
I don't think Mary will be moving Lomax to the forwards mid game to accommodate Aitken to centre. Aitken may sit on the bench for most of the game like other bench backs have in the past, but Mary has also been known to play his bench back in the forwards. Aitken should be better suited to coming on and playing backrow than Mann or Lomax, as Aitken played most of his juniors at lock.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Maybe Saab and Lomax on the right and Lomax and Pearson on the left would give us the speed and strike power we need to compete. Pereira is good but not a speedster.
You could also add Marsters as a wing proposition? He would be a big barnstorming winger. He has played quite a bit of fullback, so he should be OK under the high balls.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
I think Pereira has been ok without being spectacular, but Ravalawa needs lots more development. The top 4 sides each have at least 1 game changing winger.

Ravalawa shouldn’t be anywhere near first grade. Ironically, the Dragons’ opponent on Sunday...Parramatta... have a new Fijian winger (I think his surname is Sivo) who looks to be terrific.

It’s incredibly frustrating that other clubs can identify wonderful Pacific Islanders while Saints end up with complete duds.

You can include Nabulu, and even go back further, Kativerata and Loata.

Mary would view carrying Aitken on the bench as his compulsory reserve back.
I honestly didn't think about that until you mentioned it.
I was carried away with Aitkin being a forward replacement.
So if that is the case and no back is injured during the game, how will Aitkin be used?
10mins at the end of the game?
Not be used at all?

possm

Coach
I think Pereira has been ok without being spectacular, but Ravalawa needs lots more development. The top 4 sides each have at least 1 game changing winger.
It will be interesting to see if Ravalawa performs better tomorrow playing outside of Lomax. Hopefully Lomax feeds him good clean passes that are accurate and timely. Maybe we will see Ravalawa's speed when put into the clear; hopefully he has learned the merits of coming in-field when the cover defence is closing in.

I am also looking to see if Ravalawa can combine with Lomax in defence. They are both not small light-weights so hopefully, if their positional play is sound, they can plug the leaky right side defensive problems.

If Mary has drilled these two players well during the week, Lomax would be providing his winger adequate protection when taking the high ball.

The myth questioning Lomax's speed was dispelled in the game against the Roosters when he more than matched Tedesco's speed and actually rounded him up in the ANZAC Day match. Of course Lomax is not in the same class as Dufty and Field when it comes to speed however, most centre these days aren't; maybe Roberts from the Broncos is the exception. The real value is that he has all the skills to put his winger and our speedster Dufty into space with his timely and accurate passing game or a judicial kick behind the opposition defensive line.

I'm tipping that Lomax playing outside Hunt will introduce a new dimension to our right side backline attack.

Glenn012

Juniors
It will be interesting to see if Ravalawa performs better tomorrow playing outside of Lomax. Hopefully Lomax feeds him good clean passes that are accurate and timely. Maybe we will see Ravalawa's speed when put into the clear; hopefully he has learned the merits of coming in-field when the cover defence is closing in.

I am also looking to see if Ravalawa can combine with Lomax in defence. They are both not small light-weights so hopefully, if their positional play is sound, they can plug the leaky right side defensive problems.

If Mary has drilled these two players well during the week, Lomax would be providing his winger adequate protection when taking the high ball.

The myth questioning Lomax's speed was dispelled in the game against the Roosters when he more than matched Tedesco's speed and actually rounded him up in the ANZAC Day match. Of course Lomax is not in the same class as Dufty and Field when it comes to speed however, most centre these days aren't; maybe Roberts from the Broncos is the exception. The real value is that he has all the skills to put his winger and our speedster Dufty into space with his timely and accurate passing game or a judicial kick behind the opposition defensive line.

I'm tipping that Lomax playing outside Hunt will introduce a new dimension to our right side backline attack.
Sometimes you make too much sense for this forum. Surprised you weren't on to the hopeless liability Widdop as a playmaker was much sooner. It's ok. Not even beleaguered @TruSaint denies it now. Interesting that one of the slowest centres in Lafai has hopelessly dominated probably the fastest (Roberts) at least the last 2 times they have come up against each other. Still, it would be nice to have a B. Morris-like winger on the books. Not necessarily that good but just someone who makes minimal mistakes, works hard and is fast.

Last edited:

Glenn012

Juniors
I honestly didn't think about that until you mentioned it.
I was carried away with Aitkin being a forward replacement.
So if that is the case and no back is injured during the game, how will Aitkin be used?
10mins at the end of the game?
Not be used at all?
I'm tipping that Aitken is going to get around 25min of game time in the forwards if there are no injuries in the backs and he is going to excel as an interchange utility.

denis preston

First Grade
You could also add Marsters as a wing proposition? He would be a big barnstorming winger. He has played quite a bit of fullback, so he should be OK under the high balls.
Masters is a shirt grabber.Until he fixes his defense he shouldn't be anywhere near NRL.

Frank Facer

First Grade

I agree that Lomax will add another dimension to our attack and he will also improve our right side defence.

gitano

Juniors
Expect Mika to drop out of the starting side and starting side to be as last week

Bill Dragon

Juniors
First post so go easy.
Thoughts on Russell Packer as a potenial replacement for JDB? He's been dropped by the tigers so there maybe a chance we could get him back.
Blake Lawrie is going well at lock so I woukd leave him there and add packer to our prop rotation.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
First post so go easy.
Thoughts on Russell Packer as a potenial replacement for JDB? He's been dropped by the tigers so there maybe a chance we could get him back.
Blake Lawrie is going well at lock so I woukd leave him there and add packer to our prop rotation.

Welcome Bill

That would be a NO from me for Packer, his time has well and truly passed. Yes, Lawrie goes ok at Lock but he's better suited to Prop, but I think McGregor's hand was forced when JDB's incident occurred. Even though I think Friz would be better suited at Lock until the matter of KDB is finalized, having a 15 min player on the bench isn't what we need, we have one already in Lats.

Ieatass

Juniors
I reckon we should have a chat to Manly about taking Taniela Paseka off there hands. The bloke stands at 197cm and weights 120kg. He’s been playing good minutes in NSW Cup and is the big body forward we need to replace Vaughan when he comes off, especially since Lats looks like he’s playing with tits for legs. In my opinion Blake Lawrie looks more then capable playing lock and I’m liking Leilua’s impact in the middle when Lawrie’s off.

Glenn012

Juniors
I reckon we should have a chat to Manly about taking Taniela Paseka off there hands. The bloke stands at 197cm and weights 120kg. He’s been playing good minutes in NSW Cup and is the big body forward we need to replace Vaughan when he comes off, especially since Lats looks like he’s playing with tits for legs. In my opinion Blake Lawrie looks more then capable playing lock and I’m liking Leilua’s impact in the middle when Lawrie’s off.
Even better, would be tell "your honor" to get the f**k off the golf course and rule our persecuted hero is free to play.

possm

Coach
First post so go easy.
Lawrie has stepped up and looks comfortable in the lock position, although his intensity fades after 25min or so in each half.

With the likes of Kerr and Timm coming through and with Korbin to return, we have the props that Mary wants. The only problem is that they are not playing to the standard he wants. Packer would be a backward step and I can't see Mary getting any more out of him that Maguire did.

What we really need is some quality in our back five. Use whatever cap we have on strengthing our back 5, I believe that should have been done prior to the start of season 2019.

If we are going to persist with Dufty, we need at least two first grade wingers to support him. What a difference that would make to our team.

If I was in Millward's shoes, I'd throw all of Widdop's salary at Mitchell for season 2020 and beyond. Just imagine a centre pairing of Lomax and Mitchell with first grade quality wingers outside them.

Maybe Saab and Pearson will get a run later this season however, by then it will be all too late; we need change before June 30 to have nay hope of turning things around. So it's same old same old, look to next season for our opportunity to make the top 4 and maybe a grand final appearance. Another wasted year and at least another two and half wasted seasons to come unless we get rid of Mary.

Como Connection

First Grade
Lawrie has stepped up and looks comfortable in the lock position, although his intensity fades after 25min or so in each half.

With the likes of Kerr and Timm coming through and with Korbin to return, we have the props that Mary wants. The only problem is that they are not playing to the standard he wants. Packer would be a backward step and I can't see Mary getting any more out of him that Maguire did.

What we really need is some quality in our back five. Use whatever cap we have on strengthing our back 5, I believe that should have been done prior to the start of season 2019.

If we are going to persist with Dufty, we need at least two first grade wingers to support him. What a difference that would make to our team.

If I was in Millward's shoes, I'd throw all of Widdop's salary at Mitchell for season 2020 and beyond. Just imagine a centre pairing of Lomax and Mitchell with first grade quality wingers outside them.

Maybe Saab and Pearson will get a run later this season however, by then it will be all too late; we need change before June 30 to have nay hope of turning things around. So it's same old same old, look to next season for our opportunity to make the top 4 and maybe a grand final appearance. Another wasted year and at least another two and half wasted seasons to come unless we get rid of Mary.
Normy will take a fair slice of Widdop’s money.
Merrin gets my vote as replacement for Jack at the right price.
CC

possm

Coach
Normy will take a fair slice of Widdop’s money.
Merrin gets my vote as replacement for Jack at the right price.
CC
Even if that is true, who got the lion's share of Macdonald's and Nightingales salary. Surely Pereira and Rava are on basic salary.

I don't believe we need Merrin if De Belin is made to stand down. Where once upon a time our cap was out of balance with the likes of Nightingale, Gasneir, Cooper and Morris taking up a large share of our cap, it has now swung the other way with our forward's salaries taking up a large share of the cap.

I believe Millward made a big mistake buying backs that are not at top level NRL players e.g;
Dufty for Dugan
Rava for Nightingale
Pereira for Macdonald
And retaining Aitken and Lafai when we could have used Lomax and Herbert/Garrick.

Frank Facer

First Grade

I agree that we should be pursuing Mitchell, but that would be to play fullback. He was playing fullback the year before Tedesco arrived. That is the position we would get the most value out of him. In saying that, I don't like our chances of signing him. It will be hard to get him to leave Easts and if he does, there will be numerous clubs lining up for his signature. If he does leave Easts, then I think he will be playing fullback for his future club, that is what may lead to him moving clubs.

Latest posts