What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 8 vs Eels

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons 2019: McInnes at home in captaincy role
Local Sport
r0_0_4767_3178_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

STEPPING UP: Cameron McInnes is embracing the captaincy this season. Picture: Adam McLean

HE insists he's merely keeping it warm but Dragons workhorse Cameron McInnes is proving a natural in the captaincy of the joint-venture this season.

McInnes first had the c next to his name last season as Gareth Widdop battled injury and has taken the job on long-term in 2019 with his regular skipper sidelined by shoulder surgery.

It's a role he's currently sharing with veteran prop James Graham but, at just 25, McInnes shapes as the long-term successor when Widdop departs at season's end.

It's an indicator of how important he's become to the club that took a punt on turning him from bench understudy to 80-minute ironman.

"I definitely enjoy the role and it's a big honour but, in terms of things changing, not much has," McInnes said.

"The only thing is the toss before the game and dealing with the refs a bit more during the game.

"We have a lot of great leaders in the team and guys who've played high level footy with Tyson Frizell, James Graham, Ben Hunt and those sort of guys.

"In terms of talking on the field I don't have to say too much, I just try and play footy each week with as much energy as I can. That's how I'm trying to lead.

"I know I'm just warming the spot until we get our skipper back in Gaz. We're just trying to win as many games as we can so when he comes back we can put him in a good position."

The personal growth is why he had no hesitation in penning a contract extension with the club prior to last season, keeping him in Wollongong until the end of 2021.

The decision has been made easier by the unwavering faith of coach Paul McGregor, who dubbed McInnes the best hooker in NSW prior to season kickoff.

McGregor was also quick to scupper suggestions that Corey Norman's arrival could see Ben Hunt shifted to the hooking role at the expense of McInnes.

It's something McInnes is determined to repay as his career at the club rolls on.

"It's everything as a player to have the coach think so highly of you," he said.

"When I came from Souths I was still only young but the Dragons, and particularly Mary, took a big chance on me because I was really unproven. They gave me the opportunity to be the No. 9 and have really helped me grow.

"I think every year at the Dragons I've improved and that's solely due to the faith they've given me to work through things and make some mistakes. Not every young player gets that.

"It's all about winning now and that's the reality of the job we do but I've been able to grow and develop with a cub that really believes in me.

"I feel really fortunate and lucky that's why I want to do anything I can for the club on and off field."

While he still refers to himself as a stand-in skipper, he's setting a high bar for his side, running a critical eye over last week's gritty loss to the Roosters on Anzac Day.

"We expect to compete against every single team for the full 80 and be in the game," he said.

"The way we started the game and the mentality we had just wasn't good enough, whoever we were playing against, let alone one of the competition leaders.

"It was a big occasion and we just weren't on for that whole first 40 minutes. Going forward every week we need to make sure we're switched on right from the start."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/6105261/mcinnes-at-home-in-captaincy-role/?cs=302

Crush

Coach
Last edited:

possm

Coach
As mentioned, dont count your chickens, see below.

"Dragons:Euan Aitken is listed in the utility jersey off the bench but could start with a late reshuffle. Paul McGregor has rotated his back line in recent weeks with Aitken the latest to switch back to a limited minutes role. Dragons centre Tim Lafai will play his 150th Telstra Premiership game."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/01/23/casualty-ward--late-mail-all-the-latest-nrl-injury-news/

If Mary is considering starting Aitken tomorrow, I'd say he will start at lock and the backline, baring injury, will start unchanged.

I'd like to think that Aitken's days of playing right centre are over and a new more exciting career for him is ahead playing off the bench in the backrow.

Given that K Sims can play in the front row and in the backrow, I'm tipping that when he returns from injury, Mary will play him off the bench primarily in the front row but with the idea of playing him in the backrow if required:

Run on forwards
Vaughan
McInnes
Graham
T Sims
Frizell
Lawrie

Bench
K Sims - can play on the edge and in the middle
Kerr / Timm - rotate these two each couple of games
Leilua - can play on the edge and in the middle
Aitken - can play in the backrow and at right centre

A versatile bench with development opportunites for Kerr, Timm and Aitken

Last edited:

Crush

Coach
If Mary is considering starting Aitken tomorrow, I'd say he will start at lock and the backline, baring injury, will start unchanged.

I'd like to think that Aitken's days of playing right centre are over and a new more exciting career for him is ahead playing off the bench in the backrow.

Given that K Sims can play in the front row and in the backrow, I'm tipping that when he returns from injury, Mary will play him off the bench primarily in the front row but with the idea of playing him in the backrow if required:

Run on forwards
Vaughan
McInnes
Graham
T Sims
Frizell
Lawrie

Bench
K Sims - can play on the edge and in the middle
Kerr / Timm - rotate these two each couple of games
Leilua - can play on the edge and in the middle
Aitken - can play in the backrow and at right centre

A versatile bench with development opportunites for Kerr, Timm and Aitken
Possm, Mary is rotating his backline to give them all game time.
He does not see Aitken as a long term bench backrower. He sees him as a centre.
Next week will likely be Pereira on the bench with Lomax to wing again.
Its Mary. Aren't you used to him by now? Can't you see this coming Possm? Cmon mate, its been 5 years now.

possm

Coach
Possm, Mary is rotating his backline to give them all game time.
He does not see Aitken as a long term bench backrower. He sees him as a centre.
Next week will likely be Pereira on the bench with Lomax to wing again.
Its Mary. Aren't you used to him by now? Can't you see this coming Possm? Cmon mate, its been 5 years now.
Tell me Crush, which backs has Mary rotated this year?
1. Dufty, has he been rotated with Field?
2. Pereira, has been there all year so far.
3. Aitken, no matter how you might want to spin it, was dropped for poor performance and in my opinion, is not up to the standard of a first grade centre.
4. Lafai has been there all year?
5. Rava was dropped to the bench for one game.

If you ask me, your statement does not reflect reality however, you do seem to be very much in tuene with Mary's thinking and so you both may be like minded.

Glenn012

Juniors
3. Aitken, no matter how you might want to spin it, was dropped for poor performance and in my opinion, is not up to the standard of a first grade centre.

If you ask me, your statement does not reflect reality however, you do seem to be very much in tuene with Mary's thinking and so you both may be like minded.
possm, with us and McGregor, to have an under-performing player dropped, there has to be someone in the lower grades not "knocking on the door" but kicking the door in and spraying the room with machine gun fire. Do we have anyone who fits such a description? ?

I'm of the mind that Pereira should be dropped before Rava. Pereira isn't naturally gifted but he puts 110% into everything he does. Unfortunately, recently he has been making too many simple mistakes. Let's hope that ends tomorrow.

Crush

Coach

Hey don't blame me, I don't make the selections.
I was just trying to bring you back to earth. Obviously I failed.

Dragonslayer

First Grade

Obviously its a pattern that's developing.

Round 7 - Rava bench Lomax to right wing
Round 8 - Aitken to bench Lomax to right centre
Round 9 - Lafai to bench Lomax to left centre
Round 10 - JP to bench Lomax to left wing
Round 11 - Dufty to bench Lomax to fullback
Round 12 - everyone gets a rest

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons 2019: Norman looking for last laugh
Local Sport
r0_0_3650_2433_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

IN THE ZONE: Dragons coach Paul McGregor says Corey Norman will be playing with a point to prove against the Eels on Sunday. Picture: Adam McLean.

DRAGONS five-eighth Corey Norman is a noted joker, but coach Paul McGregor says the constant smile belies a fierce competitive drive as the former Eel prepares to face his old club for the first time.

Norman played five seasons with the Eels but was deemed surplus to requirements at the end of last season after struggling despite having a year to run on his contract.

Gareth Widdop's planned departure for England at season's end opened the door for the 28-year-old to link with the Dragons on three-year deal.

He's wasted no time showing his worth, booting the Dragons to a pair of one-point wins over the opening seven rounds and McGregor has no doubt Norman will be primed for the showdown at Bankwest Stadium.

"People see that relaxed, happy, enjoyable bloke but he's always first on the training field and last to leave it," McGregor said.

"There's definitely a really competitive person there, we see it every week, and a person that wants to go after the game and go to the game in big moments

"I've never played against a former club so I don't know the experience but I certainly know when players have come up against their old clubs, especially when they've been moved for different purposes, they have a point to prove.

"He was one of those players that got forced to leave and probably didn't want to. He's motivated because he's at a new club and he wants to prove the club he's gone to is the right choice.

"We've had a 10-day turn so we gave the boys three days off but it's been all business the last seven and he's been a big part of that."

McGregor has made one significant change following last week's Anzac Day loss to the Roosters, shifting Euan Aitken to the bench to give Zac Lomax his first start in the centres this season.

McGregor said Lomax's goalkicking was a factor in the selection, but said the 19-year-old had earned a crack in his preferred jumper this week.

"Euay started the season really well, I was really happy with his form early on," McGregor said.

"I don't think he's held those standards over the last three weeks.

"Zac's been patient waiting for an opportunity as a centre and also brings the goalkicking quality to the team that we've missed.

"He's a young kid, it's still early in his career. One thing he has done is really attack that interchange role, coming on in different positions and really enjoyed that role.

"He hasn't been up in my office at any time wanting more. He's had a pretty good player in front of him who's still there.

"Euan won't be too far away, he's on our interchange and he's a high quality player. He hasn't had too many disappointments in his career and he'll bounce back from this."

McGregor said his side's focus will be on their start after missing the jump against the Roosters last week.

"We've got to start with more intent," McGregor said.

"That's what I spoke about after the game. When it's a big occasion like Anzac Day, and it's another big game this week, you've got to start with intent and be physical.

"It was disappointing to go in 14-0 down because we know we're a better side than that.

"We're motivated going forward because we know we had 40 per cent pf the ball and created enough opportunities to win the game but, in that first 40, we could've been a lot better.

"A team like us won't double up on that so we'll be ready to go tomorrow."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/6105779/norman-looking-for-last-laugh/?cs=302

getsmarty

Immortal
normanbanner.jpg

DRAGONS

Five things: Round 8 v Parramatta Eels
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Sat 4 May 2019, 08:21 AM

The St George Illawarra Dragons will take on the Parramatta Eels at Bankwest Stadium on Sunday, May 5.

With the Dragons looking to inflict the first Eels defeat at the new stadium, here are five things to keep an eye on throughout the clash.

Lafai’s 150th NRL game

After making his NRL debut in 2011 for the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs, Tim Lafai will play his 150th game against Parramatta. The Samoan international played 74 games for the Bulldogs before joining the Dragons in 2016.

Since scoring a try on debut against the South Sydney Rabbitohs, Lafai has racked up 48 tries over his career and kicked 23 goals. The 27-year-old has also represented Samoa on 12 occasions and helped push Toa Samoa to the quarter finals in the 2017 Rugby League World Cup.

Paul Vaughan notches half-century

The Dragons' Italian Stallion Paul Vaughan will play his 50th match for the club. Vaughan arrived at the Dragons in 2017 after 85 appearances for the Canberra Raiders.

Vaughan made his Dragons debut in 2017 against the Penrith Panthers and has blossomed in the Red V jersey, where he's added a host of representative honours to his list of achievements.

The 28-year-old prop scored his first try for the Dragons against the Parramatta Eels back in 2017, a feat he will be looking to repeat on Sunday.

Norman takes on former team

Since joining the Dragons this year, Corey Norman hasn't been afraid to step up in the big moments and stamp his mark on the side.

The 107-game veteran of the Eels will come up against his old club for the first time and the talented playmaker will be firing on all cylinders.

Running out against friends and former teammates, Norman will have a point to prove and no doubt would love bragging rights by game's end.

New stadium smell

When the Dragons take on the Eels it will be just the second -ever NRL match at the newly-opened Bankwest Stadium, and the first appearance there for the Dragons.

A close-to-capacity crowd is expected and will no doubt give the Dragons a frosty reception as they take the field. The Eels romped the Wests Tigers 51-6 in their first match at the ground.

Double bogey

Despite changing squads and new coaches, healthy winning streaks over certain teams is common in the NRL.

From 2008 to 2013, the Dragons racked up nine victories out of 10 matches against Parramatta which included two 30-0 thumpings.

However, since a Fuifui Moimoi double sparked the Eels to victory in Round 25 of the 2013 season, Parramatta has gone to win seven of the past eight matches against the Red V.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/05/04/five-things-round-8/

ALSGI

Bench
Mate...I've been doing it this way for years...very few have complained...if you don't like it, don't read it...

Wouldn't be surprised if you and glenn were in fact the same Troll..Vas/sigurd...

why don't you go on another forum..whinger.
Mate, thats not how whinger should be spelled for this poster - it should be spelled f**kCWIT.