What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FO Kearney

Iafeta

Referee
I don’t think Kata will be back anytime soon chaps. Kearney I feel was trying to protect him with the compassionate grounds thing (genuinely ftr hope there is nothing wrong either btw), but mentioned he had decided to make the change. So even though Herbert wasn’t named in the run on team, it was the plan he would play.

JJ

Immortal
I don’t think Kata will be back anytime soon chaps. Kearney I feel was trying to protect him with the compassionate grounds thing (genuinely ftr hope there is nothing wrong either btw), but mentioned he had decided to make the change. So even though Herbert wasn’t named in the run on team, it was the plan he would play.
Hope so... time will tell

SpaceMonkey

Immortal

I suspect you’re right because the run on team made more sense than what was announced, Hiku at FB in particular,
Herbert deserves another go, Aysh can go back to reggies. Hiku probably gets the other centre spot even though it’s on the back of a good showing at FB not centre. Though I’d prefer Beale there.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Kearney deserves zero credit for that team that played. He had those guys at his disposal all that time and it was only a bunch on injuries that those players got their chance. I'm not going to be fickle anymore with my standpoint on Kearney, he sux as a coach.

Matua

Bench
I think we all need to face facts, the dude just can't coach (or select). I used to give him credit for the Kiwis but his club coaching suggests that credit should go to Bennett.

The Messiah George better have included a firing option in his long term contract.

flippikat

Bench
Maybe we should just replace Kearney with Brian Smith?

He's on the payroll already, has been a reasonably successful coach in turning NRL teams around in the past (including St George in the early 1990s, Parra in the late 1990s-early 2000s),

Yes, he hasn't WON a Grand Final as coach, but he can get a team TO a Grand Final.. and gees.. just getting the club consistently to the finals would be an improvement.

Thoughts?

Reactions: JJ

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I think we're going to have to accept that Kearney cannot coach. Last year was an aberration based on a career year from RTS and a few guys around him carrying us the rest of the way. Much like Matthew Elliott's 2nd place season where they scored truckloads of tries from bombs, then he couldn't coach out of a wet paper bag the rest of his career.

Maybe we should just replace Kearney with Brian Smith?

He's on the payroll already, has been a reasonably successful coach in turning NRL teams around in the past (including St George in the early 1990s, Parra in the late 1990s-early 2000s),

Yes, he hasn't WON a Grand Final as coach, but he can get a team TO a Grand Final.. and gees.. just getting the club consistently to the finals would be an improvement.

Thoughts?

Nah. I think once you go into the support staff, you've made it clear your energy for the top job is no longer existent. I have no doubt he's got massive knowledge of the game and knows how to get sides into finals, but he hasn't coached in the NRL for 7 years and we can be pretty sure he never will again at 65 years old.

Leber

Bench
Fire Kearney, make Stacey caretaker for the rest of the year and then buy Toovey for next year.

flippikat

Bench
Nah. I think once you go into the support staff, you've made it clear your energy for the top job is no longer existent. I have no doubt he's got massive knowledge of the game and knows how to get sides into finals, but he hasn't coached in the NRL for 7 years and we can be pretty sure he never will again at 65 years old.

Good point. To be fair, he's probably not keen on the demands of head-coach now - but it's a further sign that proven talent has been completely and utterly squandered under Kearney - We signed Corvo to condition the players, Smith to bring some footy nous to the coaching, and a good crop of talent from other clubs (RTS, Blair, Harris chiefly).. and yet NO REAL IMPROVEMENT to this club's form.

Latest posts