What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

greenBV4

Bench
Yeah I don't like the roof design much. Big whoop, Bubbles.

The judges for these awards disagree with you:
  • World’s Most Iconic and Culturally Significant Stadium, World Stadium Congress 2012
  • National Award for Public Architecture, AIA 2011
  • National Commercial Master Builder of the Year: Grocon Pty Ltd for AAMI Park, 2011
  • Excellence Award for Collaboration, LSAA Design Awards 2011
  • State Architecture Medal, AIA VIC, 2011
  • William Wardell Award for Public Architecture, AIA VIC 2011
  • Melbourne Prize Winner, AIA VIC 2011
  • COLORBOND:registered: Award for Steel Architecture, AIA VIC 2011
  • Contribution to Profile Finalist, Melbourne Award 2011
  • Award for Sports and Leisure Structures, Institution of Structural Engineers 2010
  • Award of Excellence, IES VIC Lighting Design Awards 2010
  • Shortlisted for Civic Building of the Year, WAN Awards 2010
  • Architectural Steel Design Award, ASI National Steel Design Awards 2010
  • Architectural Steel Design Award – Large Project, ASI Steel Design Awards VIC & TAS 2010
  • Structural Engineering Steel Design Award, ASI National Steel Design Awards 2010
  • Structural Engineering Steel Design Award, ASI Steel Design Awards VIC & TAS 2010
  • Award for Best Building Site, Wallpaper*Design 2010
  • Winner of the Bentley Award for International Excellence in Parametric Modelling for Structures, 2008
WSS it looks like an awesome stadium on the inside, and it's saved money by not worrying about anything flashy. But I agree it does look a bit "flat-pack" ish, similar to Robina

sempmrh

Juniors
I would have been just as happy if AAMI Park had a basic flat roof. Obviously what we’ve got is great, though.

This is what AAMI Park was originally going to look like. Quite a bit different but a similar idea. Not sure where in the design process this is from.

85295BE4-F74F-46BA-81BE-BDD9AE5BB774.jpeg

Perth Red

Post Whore
Bankwest isnt going to win any aesthetic awards but it serves its purpose well. Aami would still be the best looking mid size stadium by a long shot, Optus would get my vote for best looking large Australian stadium.

Soward obviously doesn’t google much, there are some amazing looking 30-40k stadiums in the world including

new Gaziantep Stadium turkey
Tele 2 arena Sweden
Antalya stadium turkey
La defence arena France
Etc etc

Last edited:

SLRBRONCOS

Referee

Suitman

Post Whore
Bankwest isnt going to win any aesthetic awards but it serves its purpose well. Aami would still be the best looking mid size stadium by a long shot, Optus would get my vote for best looking large Australian stadium.

Soward obviously doesn’t google much, there are some amazing looking 30-40k stadiums in the world including

new Gaziantep Stadium turkey
Tele 2 arena Sweden
Antalya stadium turkey
La defence arena France
Etc etc

Yes, there are dozens and dozens of them around the world.
Here are your 4..

And......in order.....

Gaziantep - 32000

cwo7bukv.jpg

Tele 2 Arena - 31000

J2Bhzhz.jpg

Antalya - 32500

41943422_kMvinYu749IdsPfwqxDDUbu7ijG-D6A0-Dc1Cecxxr8.jpg

La defense 30600

EH6ztW.jpg

sempmrh

Juniors
If Sydney ended up with the second design below, it probably would have been sooo much easier to fix it

https://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/special/sydneyolympic.php
I reckon ANZ Stadium actually looks alright from the outside. Even the facilities and the transport links are pretty good (granted, I’ve only ever been there for Grand Finals so it would have been best case scenarios on those days). It’s just a shame that the actual playing arena is dogshit awful.

Imagine if that first design got up, though. Just awful.

Timbo

Staff member
I would have been just as happy if AAMI Park had a basic flat roof. Obviously what we’ve got is great, though.

This is what AAMI Park was originally going to look like. Quite a bit different but a similar idea. Not sure where in the design process this is from.

View attachment 29523

That was the original design when it was being built for 20,000 seats. When it was realised this wasn’t big enough for major matches if any of the three codes it was expanded to its current design.

applesauce

Bench
If Para (and away fans) continue to really get behind Bankwest this year, it gives the best chance for ANZ to be knocked-down and start again while it is still up in the air.

At least then the government can trot out the "build it and they will come" line to a modern stadium with world class sight lines. It might even allow ANZ's BCR to be optimistically elevated above 1.

sempmrh

Juniors
That was the original design when it was being built for 20,000 seats. When it was realised this wasn’t big enough for major matches if any of the three codes it was expanded to its current design.

I remember seeing an artist’s impression image of what looked like a smaller AAMI Park before it was decided to increase capacity. It looked essentially the same as the final design (and I believe they released updated images) but more compact. The sketch above must have been an even earlier concept before moving forward with the bubble design.

Perth Red

Post Whore
NRL needs to offer Sunday afternoon slot to all the Sydney v Sydney games plus marketing budget if clubs are willing to play games at bankwest!

taipan

Referee
I reckon ANZ Stadium actually looks alright from the outside. Even the facilities and the transport links are pretty good (granted, I’ve only ever been there for Grand Finals so it would have been best case scenarios on those days). It’s just a shame that the actual playing arena is dogshit awful.

Imagine if that first design got up, though. Just awful.

When ANZ is packed.it's great for atmosphere and you don't worry too much about it not being rectangular.Less than 20,000 it's ordinary for attendees .

beave

Coach
What's been happening?

zero updates in the last 5-6 weeks on youtube by the state gov, nothing by the club who have put $10mil into the build, Townsville bully has been awfully quiet as well. The only vision seen is some fan pics on FB from their downtown hotels.