What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fifita's commitment to Tonga..

Coastbloke

Bench
Mentioned it on the NRL match thread earlier, but tonight Andrew Fifita was asked post match by Joey about his Rep intentions..

He made it pretty clear in his answer that Tonga was way out in front to a $50,000 Origin jersey..Said that representing your country is the pinnacle of the game..

Was very impressed. Ch9 and NRL take note..The game is not all about 2 states..

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Mentioned it on the NRL match thread earlier, but tonight Andrew Fifita was asked post match by Joey about his Rep intentions..

He made it pretty clear in his answer that Tonga was way out in front to a $50,000 Origin jersey..Said that representing your country is the pinnacle of the game..

Amen to that brother. If given a chance the trans-Tasman test series could rival origin. While Tonga v NZ and Australia could run it very close but sadly origin is a behemoth.

deluded pom?

Coach
Amen to that brother. If given a chance the trans-Tasman test series could rival origin. While Tonga v NZ and Australia could run it very close but sadly origin is a behemoth.
New Zealand v Tonga should be allowed to run parallel with Origin over a three game series. A money spinner for both teams and an incentive to stick with your international team.

Pommy

Coach

Why did he walk out on Tonga to play for the Kangaroos if Tonga is his country and that’s the pinnacle?

Coastbloke

Bench
Why did he walk out on Tonga to play for the Kangaroos if Tonga is his country and that’s the pinnacle?

You'll have to ask him Pommy. I'm only relaying what I heard on Ch9 on Friday night from the man himself..

Matua

Bench
Why is this a new thread? He's been saying the same thing for a number of years now hasn't he?

New Zealand v Tonga should be allowed to run parallel with Origin over a three game series. A money spinner for both teams and an incentive to stick with your international team.
The Tongan rise was based on NZers not sticking with their international team - just because neutrals think it's great that the Kiwis have been ripped apart it's not great for everybody.

Even so, once the Taumalolo/Fifita era is over Tonga will slip back into the pack (plus Fiji beat NZ without taking any of the key players as well, highlighting that what happened that year was more about how shit NZ was that year, basically coachless).

FYI - I'm not saying NZers of Tongan heritage can't/shouldn't play for Tonga, but I'd suggest if they make a commitment to their country they should honour it (even though the crappiness of the Kidwell coaching era meant I was not too fussed with the defections at the time).

Coastbloke

Bench
I just found it interesting that he was being put on the spot by Joey with the NSW coach next to him and he was very adamant about what he wanted to do..

FTR, I'm starting to realise why the International sub forum is an often sparse and uninspiring place to be. This is supposed to be a celebration of the International game but I'm finding it more and more to be a place to nitpick..

It's getting really really tedious... :confused:

Springs09

Juniors
Why is this a new thread? He's been saying the same thing for a number of years now hasn't he?

The Tongan rise was based on NZers not sticking with their international team - just because neutrals think it's great that the Kiwis have been ripped apart it's not great for everybody.

Even so, once the Taumalolo/Fifita era is over Tonga will slip back into the pack (plus Fiji beat NZ without taking any of the key players as well, highlighting that what happened that year was more about how shit NZ was that year, basically coachless).

FYI - I'm not saying NZers of Tongan heritage can't/shouldn't play for Tonga, but I'd suggest if they make a commitment to their country they should honour it (even though the crappiness of the Kidwell coaching era meant I was not too fussed with the defections at the time).

All 4 defectors in Taumalolo, Taukeiaho, Fusitu'a and Ma'u played for Tonga before NZ. So by that logic NZ should never have had them in the first place and they were the ones who ripped Tonga apart.

Matua

Bench
All 4 defectors in Taumalolo, Taukeiaho, Fusitu'a and Ma'u played for Tonga before NZ. So by that logic NZ should never have had them in the first place and they were the ones who ripped Tonga apart.
Haha, nicely played - but they (aside from Ma'u who I wouldn't have picked as a key defector) were all playing for the Junior Kiwis before the dastardly Tongans poached them. ;)

flamin

Juniors
I just found it interesting that he was being put on the spot by Joey with the NSW coach next to him and he was very adamant about what he wanted to do..

FTR, I'm starting to realise why the International sub forum is an often sparse and uninspiring place to be. This is supposed to be a celebration of the International game but I'm finding it more and more to be a place to nitpick..

It's getting really really tedious... :confused:

And good to see Joey’s reaction by applauding Fifita.