What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018/19 Premier League

ggmu

Juniors

How the f**k does Pogba get in the team of the year?
Pogba has easily been our best player. Put him in City’s Team or Barca and he would go from top 5 or so in assist to top of the pile imo. Also is top 10 in goal scorers.
I think he gets an judged unfairly by most people. Get him into a team of players not the crap he is in now and he would be challenging for player of the year.
Obviously though I think Hazard should be there. And is you are putting him in the midfield I agree Pogba would be the one to drop out for him.

thorson1987

Coach
Pogba has easily been our best player. Put him in City’s Team or Barca and he would go from top 5 or so in assist to top of the pile imo. Also is top 10 in goal scorers.
I think he gets an judged unfairly by most people. Get him into a team of players not the crap he is in now and he would be challenging for player of the year.
Obviously though I think Hazard should be there. And is you are putting him in the midfield I agree Pogba would be the one to drop out for him.

Yes he may be your best player, but no way in hell does his form warrant being picked in the TOTY.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
well this little gem from Foxsports suggest that its because VVD is easy to spell.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/footba...pOlou6F7EQs6FId_-Vt0QuSHpDq0DMKgtRCT3kZh_I_SQ

Pogba in, Hazard out? Players Incredible theory on Premier League Team of the Year ‘debacle’
PREMIER LEAGUE

• April 26, 2019 6:57am
  • by DAVE KITSON
  • Source: The Sun
e81236921a900733930c21b99460fb62

Paul Pogba controversially found his way into the team of the year.Source: Getty Images
The PFA Team of the Year awards used to be a bloody brilliant night where clubs booked tables for their players who in turn swapped stories from the season with adversaries long in to the night.
Then the paparazzi found out and completely ruined it for everyone.

These days no self respecting Premier League footballer would be caught dead at the PFA awards, even if they are named in the PFA Team of the Year, unless their club insists they make the effort for some much needed PR.

Today the awards are the reserve of lower league players who attend en masse, and there is nothing wrong with that.

After all, I’ve worn those boots, but the awards are not what they were.

I could write a fairly epic book based solely on my experiences of the PFA awards and I’m pretty sure it would be the first book to attract an 18 certificate.

I’d also lose an awful lot of friends in the process.

Live stream the 2019 Hyundai A-League on KAYO SPORTS. Every game of every round live & anytime on your TV or favourite device. Get your 14 day free trial >

It used to be a badge of honour to make it into a PFA Team of the Year which is based on the league a player is plying his trade.

The team is chosen by fellow players of all teams and rather naively I used to put a fair amount of stock in the outcome for that very reason.

The way it works is that once a year a PFA representative will visit the training ground and hand out a card with eleven spaces that each professional player fills in with his choices.

Then we choose an outright Player of the Year and a young player of the year before signing the opposite page and handing the card back.

Nobody ever has any idea what age constitutes a young player so for years we all just wrote, “Hazard”.

The whole debacle is usually done after training and over lunch when everybody is knackered and can’t be a***d to do anything else other than eat and go home.

I’m fairly cynical about football as you may have noticed but I promise you that most players feel that being included in the PFA Team of the Year is like being Pete Best in The Beatles.

Sure you were in The Beatles, but nobody cares and fewer still can remember.

To prove the point I once had a season playing for Cambridge United where I scored 25 goals.

I think I got in to the PFA Team of the Year but I can’t remember.

I’ve never bothered to look it up because for one thing I don’t care, and for another it doesn’t actually mean anything.

I understand there is a medal of sorts too, but I’ve never seen it and I don’t know what it looks like.

I can’t say that I lose sleep over it.

AND THE AWARD GOES TO...

On the face of it the process of choosing an elite team should be fairly simple and potential candidates are often pretty obvious.

Here’s the reality:

“How do you spell Alderweireld?”

No idea!

“Vertonghen?”

No idea

“What have you put?”

Stones.

“F*** it, Stones will do”.

I promise you I’ve seen it with my own eyes.

What I’ve written above is pretty much a word for word account of something I’ve seen that is played out with various names at every professional club up and down the country every single season.

How else do you think Paul Pogba gets in to the team of the year?

This column originally appeared in The Sun.

Mong

Post Whore
It’s a shame Fulham couldn’t get their shit together to stay in the PL.
Hopefully back soon.

Bolton into the 3rd division and lots of drama off the field. It doesn’t seem to take much for clubs to fall in a big way.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
ANyone see the goal against Plymouth?

Keeper was injured, had the ball. Went to roll it out, opposition scores from it.

Didnt break any rules but my god, #$@$ move

Latest posts