What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Corey Norman??

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons 2019: Norman looking for last laugh
Local Sport
r0_0_3650_2433_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

IN THE ZONE: Dragons coach Paul McGregor says Corey Norman will be playing with a point to prove against the Eels on Sunday. Picture: Adam McLean.

DRAGONS five-eighth Corey Norman is a noted joker, but coach Paul McGregor says the constant smile belies a fierce competitive drive as the former Eel prepares to face his old club for the first time.

Norman played five seasons with the Eels but was deemed surplus to requirements at the end of last season after struggling despite having a year to run on his contract.

Gareth Widdop's planned departure for England at season's end opened the door for the 28-year-old to link with the Dragons on three-year deal.

He's wasted no time showing his worth, booting the Dragons to a pair of one-point wins over the opening seven rounds and McGregor has no doubt Norman will be primed for the showdown at Bankwest Stadium.

"People see that relaxed, happy, enjoyable bloke but he's always first on the training field and last to leave it," McGregor said.

"There's definitely a really competitive person there, we see it every week, and a person that wants to go after the game and go to the game in big moments

"I've never played against a former club so I don't know the experience but I certainly know when players have come up against their old clubs, especially when they've been moved for different purposes, they have a point to prove.

"He was one of those players that got forced to leave and probably didn't want to. He's motivated because he's at a new club and he wants to prove the club he's gone to is the right choice.

"We've had a 10-day turn so we gave the boys three days off but it's been all business the last seven and he's been a big part of that."

McGregor has made one significant change following last week's Anzac Day loss to the Roosters, shifting Euan Aitken to the bench to give Zac Lomax his first start in the centres this season.

McGregor said Lomax's goalkicking was a factor in the selection, but said the 19-year-old had earned a crack in his preferred jumper this week.

"Euay started the season really well, I was really happy with his form early on," McGregor said.

"I don't think he's held those standards over the last three weeks.

"Zac's been patient waiting for an opportunity as a centre and also brings the goalkicking quality to the team that we've missed.

"He's a young kid, it's still early in his career. One thing he has done is really attack that interchange role, coming on in different positions and really enjoyed that role.

"He hasn't been up in my office at any time wanting more. He's had a pretty good player in front of him who's still there.

"Euan won't be too far away, he's on our interchange and he's a high quality player. He hasn't had too many disappointments in his career and he'll bounce back from this."

McGregor said his side's focus will be on their start after missing the jump against the Roosters last week.

"We've got to start with more intent," McGregor said.

"That's what I spoke about after the game. When it's a big occasion like Anzac Day, and it's another big game this week, you've got to start with intent and be physical.

"It was disappointing to go in 14-0 down because we know we're a better side than that.

"We're motivated going forward because we know we had 40 per cent pf the ball and created enough opportunities to win the game but, in that first 40, we could've been a lot better.

"A team like us won't double up on that so we'll be ready to go tomorrow."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/6105779/norman-looking-for-last-laugh/?cs=302

getsmarty

Immortal
normanc_1nh_0916.jpg

EELS

Norman's 'forced' exit pays off for both Dragons and Eels
Author
Dan Walsh NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Sat 4 May 2019, 04:29 PM
walshdan-head.png

Paul McGregor expects Corey Norman to have a point to prove after he was "forced to leave" Parramatta, but coaching counterpart Brad Arthur sees both clubs benefiting from the playmaker's high-profile move to St George Illawarra.

A 30,000-strong sell-out crowd is anticipated for Norman's first clash with his old Eels teammates at Bankwest Stadium on Sunday, less than six months after a drawn-out exit from the blue and gold.

Wrangles over relatively minor finances delayed Norman's release from the last year of his Eels deal, while then-halves partner Mitchell Moses was also told he was free to take his services elsewhere, such was Parramatta's desire to split the pair.

McGregor no doubt had those conversations in mind when asked if Norman would carry added motivation for the Dragons.

"I've never played against a former club so I don't know the experience but I certainly know when players have come up against their old clubs, especially when they've been moved for different purposes, they have a point to prove," McGregor said on Saturday.

"He was one of those players that got forced to leave and probably didn't want to.

"He's motivated because he's at a new club and he wants to prove the club he's gone to is the right choice."

Eels v Dragons - Round 8

Understandably Arthur was more pragmatic when posed the same question, pointing to the improved form of both halves following last year's wooden spoon.

Norman has booted two match-winning field goals in his first two months at the Dragons while Moses has five try assists and 55 points (fifth in the NRL) to his name going into the clash.

"Not everything goes to plan and I know it didn't [in 2018]," Arthur said.

"He had better opportunities so we're happy for Normy and it's worked out for both clubs. It's just what it is.

"It's hard to have two dominant playmakers that both want to control the team so it's worked out well for the Dragons and for Parramatta.

"We knew throughout [last] year, we were struggling in that area."

Arthur added that Moses was now "enjoying the extra responsibility" that comes with being the dominant playmaker in combination with 20-year-old Jaeman Salmon.

Along with skipper Clint Gutherson, Moses is the most high-profile of 14 off-contract Eels that have attracted endless headlines over their contract negotiations.

Both stars currently have three-year offers before them, with Gutherson on record wanting an extra season's security from the Eels.

NRL.com understands that talks with back-rower Manu Ma'u around a two-year extension are also progressing well and may be finalised by the end of May.

The scrutiny around the club's roster doesn't seem to be effecting morale, with Gutherson interrupting his coach's press conference shouting: "Are we going to win tomorrow Brad?"

To which Arthur responded: "If you have a go Clint, we will."

"Look, it's what it is. It's part of the game," Arthur said of the external focus on contract discussions.

"The pleasing thing is, the club is very keen to keep those players. The players want to stay.

"I'm sure something would be sorted out sooner than later. But it's always easier when both parties are comfortable with where it's at."

Eels captain Tim Mannah will sit out the clash with a foot injury that is not considered a long-term issue, with Kane Evans promoted to Parramatta's bench.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/05/04/normans-forced-exit-pays-off-for-both-dragons-and-eels/

possm

Coach

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Does Norman do anything besides pass or wildly gesticulate throughout a game?

Admittedly McInness’ service from dummy half has left him frustrated, but he simply doesn’t take the line on nearly enough.

It’s putting too much pressure on Hunt.

This is the same problem Widdop has endured throughout the vast majority of his time at SGI due to the lack of a quality halves partner. Of course, as soon as the club FINALLY acquires a genuine halfback, what does management do? It tries shoving Gareth into an unrealistic fullback role.

No wonder he wants to leave.

epDragon62

First Grade

Admittedly McInness’ service from dummy half has left him frustrated, but he simply doesn’t take the line on nearly enough.

This is the same problem Widdop has endured throughout the vast majority of his time at SGI due to the lack of a quality halves partner. Of course, as soon as the club FINALLY acquires a genuine halfback, what does management do? It tries shoving Gareth into an unrealistic fullback role.

Are you making this up Jimmy, or do you have a credible source?

possm

Coach

I'd say it is Mary's coaching or lack of it that is the cause off all ills in the squad.

his involvement in that long range try shows what he’s capable of

Glenn012

Juniors
his involvement in that long range try shows what he’s capable of
You are completely missing the point. Yes, his involvement in that try was excellent but what is important is the way he and Hunt were leading the team around, applying pressure and coming up with the right plays insofar as kicking, running themselves, passing early or late or passing it back inside. That is what Widdop completely failed at and why the team he was supposed to be leading around the park failed so miserably over the last 5 years.

You are completely missing the point. Yes, his involvement in that try was excellent but what is important is the way he and Hunt were leading the team around, applying pressure and coming up with the right plays insofar as kicking, running themselves, passing early or late or passing it back inside. That is what Widdop completely failed at and why the team he was supposed to be leading around the park failed so miserably over the last 5 years.[/QUOTE yep must’ve totally missed it my apologies!!

getsmarty

Immortal
normanc_2nh_7320.jpg

INJURIES

Cheekbone fracture confirmed for Norman
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Mon 6 May 2019, 03:18 PM

The St George Illawarra Dragons can advise that five-eighth Corey Norman has suffered a cheekbone fracture.

Norman will undergo surgery on Tuesday, with an update to be provided in due course of his unavailability.

Norman was injured in the second half of the Dragons' Round 8 loss to the Parramatta Eels on Sunday.

As per the Dragons' update on Sunday evening, Tyson Frizell was poked in the eye in the first half which greatly affected his vision.

The Dragons' performance staff are optimistic he will be available for selection in Round 9.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/05/06/cheekbone-fracture-confirmed-for-norman/

Carlton

Juniors
Sibo attacked the head in that tackle Napa style - should be suspended. Knew exactly what he was doing imo

I believe that if you connect with the head of an attacker while going high it doesn't matter what part of the defenders body makes contact. Its reckless and dangerous and at a minimum should be a penalty and report.

In that game Sivo hit dufty high when he was on the ground and then recklessly went high and hit Norman in the cheek, no penalty for either. I think it was Simms, accidentally slaps a falling player on the cheek and the ref cant give a penalty fast enough.

Brutalitops

Juniors
I believe that if you connect with the head of an attacker while going high it doesn't matter what part of the defenders body makes contact. Its reckless and dangerous and at a minimum should be a penalty and report.

In that game Sivo hit dufty high when he was on the ground and then recklessly went high and hit Norman in the cheek, no penalty for either. I think it was Simms, accidentally slaps a falling player on the cheek and the ref cant give a penalty fast enough.
Agreed. Head contact like that should be punished whether intentional or not.

"They're falling in the tackle" should no longer be an acceptable defense.

Crush

Coach

That Sivo bloke is just reckless. It pissed me right off when he smashed Dufty then as Duff was laying on the ground he had a big smile on his face.
Made my blood boil when 5 mins later he smashed Norman only to end our chances at winning that game.
He'll get pulled up for it soon whenever they play the Roosters or Storm. Imagine if that hit was on Cameron Smith!

rednwhites

Juniors
That Sivo bloke is just reckless. It pissed me right off when he smashed Dufty then as Duff was laying on the ground he had a big smile on his face.
Made my blood boil when 5 mins later he smashed Norman only to end our chances at winning that game.
He'll get pulled up for it soon whenever they play the Roosters or Storm. Imagine if that hit was on Cameron Smith!

Reckless is a good word. Napa got done once or twice for leading with the head. Refs didn't even blink but to me it was a high aggressive hit out of frustration.

getsmarty

Immortal
Corey Norman set for layoff, as Frizell outlook remains positive
Dragons Den
r0_0_5568_3143_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Major blow: Corey Norman will undergo surgery for a fractured cheekbone on Tuesday. Picture: Nathan Hopkins/NRL Photos.
St George Illawarra five-eighth Corey Norman is set for a stint on the sidelines, with the Dragons confirming the star fractured his cheekbone on Sunday afternoon.

Norman will undergo surgery on Tuesday, with further details about the length of his layoff to be known once the operation is complete.

Norman suffered the injury when he was hit by Parramatta winger Maika Sivo while delivering the final pass for Mikaele Ravalawa's try in the Dragons loss to the Eels.

Norman joins a growing injury ward at St George Illawarra, with Gareth Widdop and Korbin Sims on the sidelines, as well as the stood-down Jack de Belin.

Norman's was one of two injuries suffered on a forgettable afternoon for St George Illawarra as they were defeated 32-18 after Parramatta produced a stunning second-half display, with Tyson Frizell playing just 22 minutes after receiving a poke to the eye in the first half.

The injury affected Frizell's vision, with the representative star struggling to see when he briefly returned to the field following the incident.

The Dragons are optimistic Frizell's injury is not a serious one, with the club hopeful he will line up for Saturday night's match against the Warriors during the inaugural Magic Round.

The match at Suncorp Stadium is shaping up as an important fixture for the Dragons, with the side losing their past two matches and falling to eighth on the ladder.

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...orman-set-for-stint-on-the-sidelines/?cs=3713

gitano

Juniors
It's footy, if you end up on the ground not held and get belted so be it.

I get the hurt feelings etc.
but we don't want it heading towards oztag do we?

It's probably a Millward mess though. I blame Mary.

Latest posts