What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG Digicel Cups expands in 2019

mikail-eagle

Bench
58769506_2086664068099135_850937466352304128_n.jpg

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Results from Round 4

1. Central Dabari 18 - Goroka Lahanis 14
2. Pom Vipers 4 - Lae Tigers 28
3. Waghi Tumbe 28 - Gulf Isou 12
4. Mt Hagen Eagles 12 - Enga Mioks 12
5. Kimbe Cutters 18 - Hela Wigmen 26
6. Mendi Muruks 4 Rabaul Gurias 16

The Rabaul Gurias, Lae Tigers and Waghi Tumbe remain undefeated after 4 Rounds.
The Mt Hagen Eagles and Enga Mioks drew their game.
My team won!! Come on the wigmen ;-)

mikail-eagle

Bench
Good stuff ME. Why so many double headers in Port Moresby?

With the Central Dabari joining the competition this year there are now 3 Teams playing out of Port Moresby. The other 2 being the Pom Vipers and Gulf Isou from the neighboring Gulf Province.

So I think every week one of these 3 flies out while the other 2 stay and play in the city.

mikail-eagle

Bench
Wigmen is an interesting brand to chose! Does it mean something different in PNG?

Posted this 2 weeks ago about the Wigmen. But here it is again.

The Wigmen from the Hela Province in the Highlands of PNG get their WIGMEN name from their famous and fierce Huli Wigmen Warriors.

The wig is in their hairdo...They use different animal fur for their colouful wigs.

320px-Huli_Wigman_visit_Cooktown%2C_Australia_2005.jpg

images

Perth Red

Post Whore
Posted this 2 weeks ago about the Wigmen. But here it is again.

The Wigmen from the Hela Province in the Highlands of PNG get their WIGMEN name from their famous and fierce Huli Wigmen Warriors.

The wig is in their hairdo...They use different animal fur for their colouful wigs.

320px-Huli_Wigman_visit_Cooktown%2C_Australia_2005.jpg

images

Thanks

Walter sobchak

First Grade
With the Central Dabari joining the competition this year there are now 3 Teams playing out of Port Moresby. The other 2 being the Pom Vipers and Gulf Isou from the neighboring Gulf Province.

So I think every week one of these 3 flies out while the other 2 stay and play in the city.
Do the central Dabari and Gulf teams draws their fans from the city of Port Moresby or do they travel to Port Moresby from said provinces?

mikail-eagle

Bench
Do the central Dabari and Gulf teams draws their fans from the city of Port Moresby or do they travel to Port Moresby from said provinces?

Port Moresby is actually inside Central Province.
The People of Central Province own the land that the city is built on.
But in the mid 90's the National Capital District Commission was formed to make Port Moresby or National Capital District as Province of its own. But as soon as you step 1 meter outside the City limits in any direction you are now in Central Province. Therefore the Dabari probably have more supporters in the City than the Vipers.

The Gulf Province shares a border with Central Province just up the coast line to the North.
There are big generations of Gulf People in the City and they have a big fan base.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Port Moresby is actually inside Central Province.
The People of Central Province own the land that the city is built on.
But in the mid 90's the National Capital District Commission was formed to make Port Moresby or National Capital District as Province of its own. But as soon as you step 1 meter outside the City limits in any direction you are now in Central Province. Therefore the Dabari probably have more supporters in the City than the Vipers.

The Gulf Province shares a border with Central Province just up the coast line to the North.
There are big generations of Gulf People in the City and they have a big fan base.
Just out of interest ME, how big population wise is Port Moresby?

mikail-eagle

Bench
Just out of interest ME, how big population wise is Port Moresby?

Port Moresby probably has a population between 500K-600k. Although Wiki on says 300k but there hasn't been a census here in a long time.

The wider Central Province should have 1-2 million people easily.

mikail-eagle

Bench
Round 5 Results

Rabaul Gurias 34
Central Dabaris 6
Gulf Isou 22 Hela Wigmen 18
Waghi Tumbe 24 Goroka Lahanis 24
Lae Tigers 50 Mt Hagen Eagles 12
Enga Mioks 46 Kimbe Cutters 10
Pom Vipers 22 Mendi Muruks 10

The Rabaul Gurias and Lae Tigers remain undefeated after 5 rounds

The Partisan

M - E areyou able to provide an insight as to what the tiers of the code are below Digicel ? I assume there is at least other comps in the greater Port Moresby area ?

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Port Moresby probably has a population between 500K-600k. Although Wiki on says 300k but there hasn't been a census here in a long time.

The wider Central Province should have 1-2 million people easily.
WOW!! Didn’t realize that Port Moresby was that big and no doubt growing all the time like the total population of PNG.

Are more and more people moving from The rural communities and into the cities and towns in PNG like Port Moresby, Lae, goroka and mount hagen etc ME??

mikail-eagle

Bench
M - E areyou able to provide an insight as to what the tiers of the code are below Digicel ? I assume there is at least other comps in the greater Port Moresby area ?

I think about few months or so ago I posted in a different thread that there are 42 Leagues affiliated to the PNGRFL.

All those Leagues run their own Competition.
Their sizes vary a little.
But 5 off those are in Port Moresby it self. The biggest one being the Port Moresby Rugby League and the smallest being the University of PNG Rugby League.

And there are another 6 Leagues in the surrounding Central Province.