What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

widdop

Gareth67

First Grade
Wonderful news in today’s Tele Sports - our golden boy Gareth Widdop will be returning in round 20 after his quicker than expected recovery. I am just over the moon about this as I know his real worth to the team , however I am sure that there is one among us who will be absolutely estactic about it . :zipper_mouth:

possm

Coach
Wonderful news in today’s Tele Sports - our golden boy Gareth Widdop will be returning in round 20 after his quicker than expected recovery. I am just over the moon about this as I know his real worth to the team , however I am sure that there is one among us who will be absolutely estactic about it . :zipper_mouth:
I'd say that whoever negotiated Widdop's contract end date is as bad as it gets. I'm sure they would have come up with a different decision if the funds we are paying him while he is on the sideline, were coming out of his own pocket.

A prime example of the poor decisions and waste of money imposed on our club by inept club officials.

Gareth67

First Grade
I'd say that whoever negotiated Widdop's contract end date is as bad as it gets. I'm sure they would have come up with a different decision if the funds we are paying him while he is on the sideline, were coming out of his own pocket.

A prime example of the poor decisions and waste of money imposed on our club by inept club officials.

To quote ( the late ) one of Rugby Leagues and Rugby Unions tough guy forwards “ I am just absolutely flabbergasted ! “ possum there are a hell of a lot of NRL players who are injured and are still be payed their money - it is part of their contract .

You simply would not be able to sign too many players if you were not prepared to pay them whilst injured , more so when the injury was obtained playing your heart out for the club .

Amen !

Last edited:

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade

By nature, injures are unpredictable,

possm

Coach
To quote one of Rugby Leagues and Unions well known forward “ I am just absolutely flabbergasted ! “ possum there are a hell of a lot of players who are injured and are still be payed their money - it is part of their contract .

You simply would not be able to sign too many players if you were not prepared to pay them whilst injured , more so when the injury was obtained playing your heart out for the club .

Amen !

I'm sorry but that was not my point, I agree that you need to pay injured players.

My point is that once the Club decided to sign Norman, we really did not need to keep a high priced player like Widdop; especially when he was coming back from a serious injury and had not been tested during the off season.

In my opinion Widdop came asking for a release to return to the UK, that is a given. At that time, knowing that Norman or Hayne was a good chance to come to SGI, the Club should have agreed to the release on condition he left prior to the start of the 2019 season.

Just imagine the quality of players we could have signed with the cap from Widdop, Macdonald, Nightingale, Herbert, Garrick and others.

So after picking up top line first grade backs, we could have chosen to back fill with backs from our juniors or from outside the club. We could have chased two wingers and two centres of which at least two of the four could have played fullback if required.

True_Believer

Juniors
I'm sorry but that was not my point, I agree that you need to pay injured players.

My point is that once the Club decided to sign Norman, we really did not need to keep a high priced player like Widdop; especially when he was coming back from a serious injury and had not been tested during the off season.

In my opinion Widdop came asking for a release to return to the UK, that is a given. At that time, knowing that Norman or Hayne was a good chance to come to SGI, the Club should have agreed to the release on condition he left prior to the start of the 2019 season.

Just imagine the quality of players we could have signed with the cap from Widdop, Macdonald, Nightingale, Herbert, Garrick and others.

So after picking up top line first grade backs, we could have chosen to back fill with backs from our juniors or from outside the club. We could have chased two wingers and two centres of which at least two of the four could have played fullback if required.

Even after being told the facts and shown confirmation in the media, you continue with this agenda. Not sure what drugs you are on, but I think you need to stop taking them.

Gareth67

First Grade

Possum , mate , I am not attempting to be argumentative in any way however but - “ in my opinion Widdop came asking for a release . . . “ is just that - in your opinion , in other words you are merely speculating . If he truly wanted to return home I am sure that the Dragons would not have stood in his way , more so as you have said after securing the services of Norman .

But it does take time to find a home for ones family , schools for the kiddies and the sale of ones present home before even thinking about buying the plane tickets . Therefore I must disagree with you , as I believe Widdop to be a proud man , one whom would honor his contract as best as circumstances would permit . He is not one of those fly by nighters , who simply picks up his gear and disappears into the sunset as many a player has done in recent years .

He was committed to the Dragons for season 2019 , as you have mentioned only yesterday he is now among our walking wounded , but I for one cannot wait for his return and when he does leave the Big Red V it will be a sad day , although he may not be everyone’s Mr. Perfect he still gives his best . Those players are worth whatever they are paid . :innocent:

Last edited:

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Possum , mate , I am not attempting to be argumentative in any way however - “ in my opinion Widdop came asking for a release . . . “ is just that - in your opinion , in other words you are merely speculating . If he truly wanted to return home I am sure that the Dragons would not have stood in his way , more so as you have said after securing the services of Norman .

But it does take time to find a home for ones family , schools for the kiddies and the sale of ones present home before even thinking about buying the plane tickets . Therefore I must disagree with you , as I believe Widdop to be a proud man , one whom would honor his contract as best as circumstances would permit . He is not one of those fly by nighters , who simply picks up his gear and disappears into the sunset as many a player has done in recent years .

He was committed to the Dragons for season 2019 , as you have mentioned only yesterday he is now among our walking wounded , but I for one cannot wait for his return and when he does leave the Big Red V it will be a sad day , although he may not be everyone’s Mr. Perfect he still gives his best . Those players are worth whatever they are paid . :innocent:

Yeah well said Gareth and agree 100%.

I can see where Possm is coming from, believe it or not, he believes that if we had let Widdop go, therefore releasing his salary, we would be in a better place to re-sign players as well as maybe attract some others, a bit of a double edge sword really. Unfortunately, for him, Widdop had already committed to 2019 and as you say there is a lot more than buying a plane ticket to another country. At the very least he should be applauded for allowing us due time to replace and settle a new 5/8 into the squad and still want to put in each week.

possm

Coach
Yeah well said Gareth and agree 100%.

I can see where Possm is coming from, believe it or not, he believes that if we had let Widdop go, therefore releasing his salary, we would be in a better place to re-sign players as well as maybe attract some others, a bit of a double edge sword really. Unfortunately, for him, Widdop had already committed to 2019 and as you say there is a lot more than buying a plane ticket to another country. At the very least he should be applauded for allowing us due time to replace and settle a new 5/8 into the squad and still want to put in each week.
If Widdop was released prior to 2019, there would be nothing stopping him returning anytime after that. Looking for excuses does not cut it. SGI took the request seriously and so went for Hayne and then Norman. Without the request the Club would not have gone looking.

Widdop new the extent of injury to his shoulder and I saw how hesitant he was right from the first trial game and stated so on this forum. To me it was only a matter of time before he re-injured the shoulder. Widdop was always only thinking of himself.

Dragonsamy

Bench
Possum , mate , I am not attempting to be argumentative in any way however - “ in my opinion Widdop came asking for a release . . . “ is just that - in your opinion , in other words you are merely speculating . If he truly wanted to return home I am sure that the Dragons would not have stood in his way , more so as you have said after securing the services of Norman .

Well put Gareth
It's looking good for him,to return by round 20.
He never wanted to leave any earlier than end of the year.
That's is guaranteed

rasaint

Juniors
Gareth Widdop is a world class player.

I remember that year 2015 when he took to the paddock in a semi against the dogs with the worst contrusion of any corked thigh injury that our then physio had seen. He was belted and kneed by the dogs big boppers, diving on loose balls and clobbered with his head twisted viciously, but still almost kicked us to an unlikely victory with two late penalties, one from 1/2 way on full time. Yes they got a golden point field goal.

With this year throwing up a dreadful injury toll (including Gareth) it may be extra handy to have him available if we stay close enough to the 8. At full strength including JDB ( regardless of views on his stand down) at the right time end of season, we can beat any team yes any team. Last season only injuries stopped us from going to the big dance.

I hope he is available. He will give us his best.

Absolutely agree.
The minute he made his intentions clear that he wanted to leave, negotiate an exit package, thank him for his contribution and get started finding the best replacement.
The few games he did play at FB were difficult to watch and he made it abundantly clear that he wasn't happy playing there.