What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

widdop

Glenn012

Juniors
Absolutely agree.
The minute he made his intentions clear that he wanted to leave, negotiate an exit package, thank him for his contribution and get started finding the best replacement.
The few games he did play at FB were difficult to watch and he made it abundantly clear that he wasn't happy playing there.
And Ben Hunt made it abundantly clear he didn't want Widdop at 5/8. Even though Norman is a far superior 5/8 in every facet of the game except goal kicking, I wouldn't have put it past McGregor to play him off the bench or at fullback to accommodate Widdop. The guy is that dumb!

Possum , mate , I am not attempting to be argumentative in any way however - “ in my opinion Widdop came asking for a release . . . “ is just that - in your opinion , in other words you are merely speculating . If he truly wanted to return home I am sure that the Dragons would not have stood in his way , more so as you have said after securing the services of Norman .

But it does take time to find a home for ones family , schools for the kiddies and the sale of ones present home before even thinking about buying the plane tickets . Therefore I must disagree with you , as I believe Widdop to be a proud man , one whom would honor his contract as best as circumstances would permit . He is not one of those fly by nighters , who simply picks up his gear and disappears into the sunset as many a player has done in recent years .

He was committed to the Dragons for season 2019 , as you have mentioned only yesterday he is now among our walking wounded , but I for one cannot wait for his return and when he does leave the Big Red V it will be a sad day , although he may not be everyone’s Mr. Perfect he still gives his best . Those players are worth whatever they are paid . :innocent:
Very nice meandering rationalization but the truth of the matter is simple.
Our club captain, chief playmaker and marquee signing that McGregor nicknames "Gaz", suddenly announced that he was bailing mid contract.
For me, the reasons are a little irrelevant.
Staying on in 2019 after McGregor begged him to stay, hasn't got a lot to do with Widdop's commitment to the club.
I agree with Possum on this one and his late season return is fraught with danger.
Just look at how tentative he was before he injured his shoulder this year.

Gareth67

First Grade
Our club captain, chief playmaker and marquee signing that McGregor nicknames "Gaz", suddenly announced that he was bailing mid contract.
Staying on in 2019 after McGregor begged him to stay, hasn't got a lot to do with Widdop's commitment to the club.
I agree with Possum on this one and his late season return is fraught with danger.

Apparently I am not the only one that has that ‘ knack ‘ Dennis , as it would appear that you can also meander when the mood is upon you , which is evident in your own post . But I respect your own and also possums point of view , in this instance we merely disagree upon the issue.

Last edited:

TruSaint

Referee

You're better than that post.

God forbid a footy coach have a nickname for a player ? Esp when our coach has a nick of " Mary".
Can you please tell me where/when Mary "begged" for Widdop to stay ?

I don't know if he will return to the field or not. I do know that if we are short on troops that a quality international, already under the payroll could come in handy.

Widdop's story has been documented. Mary did not beg him to stay.

Yet, we did play him at fullback, which even Wayne Bennett said was wrong.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/mc...refers-him-in-the-halves-20190320-p515tv.html

Last edited:

Glenn012

Juniors

God forbid a footy coach have a nickname for a player ? Esp when our coach has a nick of " Mary".

I don't know if he will return to the field or not. I do know that if we are short on troops that a quality international, already under the payroll could come in handy.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/mc...refers-him-in-the-halves-20190320-p515tv.html
Are you saying that just because you know stupidity annoys me or were you dropped on your head as a baby? I refuse to believe such stupidity is naturally occurring.

Bennett is a rival coach. He doesn't have SGIs best interests in mind. In fact, he has the opposite in mind. Any SGI supporter with an IQ of over 50 should be offended by his arrogance and lack of respect for the club and it should have earned a public smack-down from SGI coaching staff.

Bennett said that because he wanted Widdop at 5/8 and Norman on the bench or fullback but knew saying precisely that would be too flagrant even for that arrogant scumbag.

Crush

Coach
Not at all.
So everyone is fit, where do you play them all?
Which player are you removing from the starting 13?
Dufty
Norman
Hunt
McInnes
My original team would have been
1. Duff
6. Widdop
7. Hunt
9. McInnes
14. Norman
However we need Norman in the team for his finishing ability in tight games. Those field goals were magic, Widdop isn't a big game closer.
I definitely think Hunt is our best halfback so I wouldn't be moving him.
McInnes has 9.
Dufty is our most potent attacking player so sending him back to reggies would be stupid.
As I said, I'd still pick Widdop I reckon at 6 but it would be a conundrum.

Crush

Coach
Are you saying that just because you know stupidity annoys me or were you dropped on your head as a baby? I refuse to believe such stupidity is naturally occurring.

Bennett is a rival coach. He doesn't have SGIs best interests in mind. In fact, he has the opposite in mind. Any SGI supporter with an IQ of over 50 should be offended by his arrogance and lack of respect for the club and it should have earned a public smack-down from SGI coaching staff.

Bennett said that because he wanted Widdop at 5/8 and Norman on the bench or fullback but knew saying precisely that would be too flagrant even for that arrogant scumbag.
Do you think its ouryear this year?
Ouryear?

TruSaint

Referee

Go f**k yourself ...

How's that

I was replying to Dennis...

Last edited:

possm

Coach

It is very clear to me, Mary gave Widdop the nick name Gaz which previously was Gasnier's nick name. In my view, Widdop is not in Gasnier's class at all. For me giving that nick name to Widdop was an insult.

Okay so maybe I got a little carried away but this is the main issue.
"Our club captain, chief playmaker and marquee signing ………………., suddenly announced that he was bailing mid contract."

Glenn012

Juniors
It Is abhorrent to think someone with the name Gareth should by given a nickname of Gaz, particularly in Australia where abbreviations of given names are almost mandatory as nicknames. It's a mess:rolleyes:
Agree. Given the money we paid him/are paying him and the way he played, it's an insult to give him the same nickname as a born and bred club great.

Latest posts