What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If JDB is out who comes in?

redVinme

Bench
I agree that we should be pursuing Mitchell, but that would be to play fullback. He was playing fullback the year before Tedesco arrived. That is the position we would get the most value out of him. In saying that, I don't like our chances of signing him. It will be hard to get him to leave Easts and if he does, there will be numerous clubs lining up for his signature. If he does leave Easts, then I think he will be playing fullback for his future club, that is what may lead to him moving clubs.

Agree. Promise him fullback and pay whatever he wants and be done with it. No player In the comp will give you a better return on investment In the coming years. Saab will be ready soon and Mika has great upside. We could go from one of the smallest back 3 to the biggest and as long as the wings are good value for money and IF jdb is rubbed out it's a no brainer to throw our hats in

Carlton

Juniors
Normy will take a fair slice of Widdop’s money.
Merrin gets my vote as replacement for Jack at the right price.
CC

Norman is already on the books with Widdop. He is reportedly getting $500K this year and $700K next year. That means only $200K extra has to be found for Norman next year.

Widdop is, according to a number of posters, on $950K. There will still be large part of his salary available. Factor in a couple of players being moved on, a salary cap increase and a possible TPA, we could compete for Mitchell with any club. If we couldn't get him, it would be due to other factors, not money.

blacksafake

First Grade
I'd be amazed if we landed Mitchell.
I just can't see him leaving a successful well run,coached club to come to us & carry the load.
He'd be on better money than what we could offer,especially TPA's.
As for a forward I like the looks of Collins from the rorters.

possm

Coach
I agree that we should be pursuing Mitchell, but that would be to play fullback. He was playing fullback the year before Tedesco arrived. That is the position we would get the most value out of him. In saying that, I don't like our chances of signing him. It will be hard to get him to leave Easts and if he does, there will be numerous clubs lining up for his signature. If he does leave Easts, then I think he will be playing fullback for his future club, that is what may lead to him moving clubs.
Surely, Millward could contact Mitchell's manager and discuss a price and offering to give him the fullback position, something East with Tedesco at the back won't offer him. Get ahead of the crowd and seal the deal.

Last edited:

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Mitchell would be a dream, but alas thats all it would ever be, a dream. He will never leave the Roosters and IF he ever did it would be only to the Rabbits. The idea that we throw x amount of $$ at him would oakw into comparison to what Uncle Nick would be able to arrange for him through TPA's and "other" deals. Add to this the coach and the REAL possibility of playing finals football every year and winning the premiership against the mediocrity of the Dragons of battling for a 7th or 8th spot.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Honestly, the genuine lack of understanding of cap management and player movement from some people STILL baffles me.
Latrell Mitchell?! The kid is contracted with the Roosters until the END of 2020. And you can guarantee the Roosters have got a contract extension already planned out for him, with a significant financial top-up.
You can't just approach a player and "get ahead of the crowd". Contracts incur legal repercussions, if you approach a player under contract, you could get sued. That player and their manager HAS TO approach the club, or the manager has to signal to other clubs that the player is looking for a release from their club and is open to offers.
Further to that, we are pretty far down the pecking order due to a lack of TPAs and appeal (mediocre finishes over the last 5 years, shit coach etc). Of course someone of Latrell's calibre is going to look for a huge salary at a stable, successful club.

The fact that people blame our recruitment team because we're not signing these players or approaching them.... When we legally can't approach them, it's f**king ridiculous. Millward has done a pretty f**king good job considering the position he's in.

Carlton

Juniors
Mitchell would be a dream, but alas thats all it would ever be, a dream. He will never leave the Roosters and IF he ever did it would be only to the Rabbits. The idea that we throw x amount of $$ at him would oakw into comparison to what Uncle Nick would be able to arrange for him through TPA's and "other" deals. Add to this the coach and the REAL possibility of playing finals football every year and winning the premiership against the mediocrity of the Dragons of battling for a 7th or 8th spot.

Are you saying we shouldn't try? We have post after post about getting real quality in the backline, if we dont take part in the game then we'll never get the stars.

Roosters have Uncle Nick but we have Uncle Gordon and I am sure if he wanted to he could match any TPAs that Uncle Nick finds. The issue with that is does Uncle Gordon want to. There is no reason we cant compete on dollars, the big stumbling block for me is the "other" factors that will influence his decision.

Maybe we can get him, maybe we cant, but we should seriously be in the race and giving it our best shot.

Dragons 09

Juniors
Honestly, the genuine lack of understanding of cap management and player movement from some people STILL baffles me.
Latrell Mitchell?! The kid is contracted with the Roosters until the END of 2020. And you can guarantee the Roosters have got a contract extension already planned out for him, with a significant financial top-up.
You can't just approach a player and "get ahead of the crowd". Contracts incur legal repercussions, if you approach a player under contract, you could get sued. That player and their manager HAS TO approach the club, or the manager has to signal to other clubs that the player is looking for a release from their club and is open to offers.
Further to that, we are pretty far down the pecking order due to a lack of TPAs and appeal (mediocre finishes over the last 5 years, shit coach etc). Of course someone of Latrell's calibre is going to look for a huge salary at a stable, successful club.

The fact that people blame our recruitment team because we're not signing these players or approaching them.... When we legally can't approach them, it's f**king ridiculous. Millward has done a pretty f**king good job considering the position he's in.

Don't disagree with your sentiment, but i think there is a technical error in your argument. From my understanding, any club CAN legally approach him in relation to the 2021 season and beyond, not about an immediate move, not about 2020, but for 2021 and beyond. If an agreement is then verbally reached for 2021 and beyond, a contract can't be signed and/or forwarded to the NRL for sanction until after 1st November this year.

That is my understanding of the process and if this is correct, i'm sure Millward would already have some skin in the game as would most of the other 15 NRL clubs. I don't expect we would get him and to be honest, i don't expect him to leave the Roosters, but i'm sure most teams would be having an each way bet given they don't need to come up with the cash for another 2 years which gives plenty of opportunity to reshuffle the decks in readiness if the unlikely was to occur.

Glenn012

Juniors
He is obviously an outstanding player but I'd rather the club didn't break the bank on a centre. If he were being recruited to play fullback, that would be another story but would he be as good at fullback? Would it be worth the risk?

Mark D

Juniors
Does anyone know the latest on JDBs case ? Realise the NRL (clutching at straws) lodged 500 email of complaints to the court but it all seems to have gone very quiet... I thought a decision was due by now ?

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Don't disagree with your sentiment, but i think there is a technical error in your argument. From my understanding, any club CAN legally approach him in relation to the 2021 season and beyond, not about an immediate move, not about 2020, but for 2021 and beyond. If an agreement is then verbally reached for 2021 and beyond, a contract can't be signed and/or forwarded to the NRL for sanction until after 1st November this year.

That is my understanding of the process and if this is correct, i'm sure Millward would already have some skin in the game as would most of the other 15 NRL clubs. I don't expect we would get him and to be honest, i don't expect him to leave the Roosters, but i'm sure most teams would be having an each way bet given they don't need to come up with the cash for another 2 years which gives plenty of opportunity to reshuffle the decks in readiness if the unlikely was to occur.

Incorrect.

A club can only approach a player 1 year ahead of their contract expiring, both verbally and formally tabling a contract.
For example, with Benny Hunt, we signed him in January of 2017, for the 2018 season. We were not allowed to approach him in any way before November 1, 2017... As his contract was expiring on November 1, 2018.

In the case of Mitchell, his contract is expiring at the end of 2020, which means, we can only approach him AFTER November 1 of 2019.
The Roosters however can table a contract extension to him at any stage, pretty much from now onwards.

Someone like Latrell though, he and his manager will play the game and milk him for all he's worth... Which is a lot. Unless a middle to bottom tier club offer him an outrageous contract, like Newcastle did with Ponga (which ended up being genius), like the Cows did with Taumalolo and Manly with Cherry Evans, it's unlikely he'll leave the Roosters. If he does it'll be Souths.

Hardcore Dragon

Juniors
If JDB loses his case who is available? Merrin is the one linked and Stimson at the Storm but nobody else stands out really? Any other options out there? Looking at how the poms are going in the NRL I would be sending scouts over there to see if they can snag a pommie.

I think Ben Hunt is doing fine.

XXX

Dragons 09

Juniors
Incorrect.

A club can only approach a player 1 year ahead of their contract expiring, both verbally and formally tabling a contract.
For example, with Benny Hunt, we signed him in January of 2017, for the 2018 season. We were not allowed to approach him in any way before November 1, 2017... As his contract was expiring on November 1, 2018.

In the case of Mitchell, his contract is expiring at the end of 2020, which means, we can only approach him AFTER November 1 of 2019.
The Roosters however can table a contract extension to him at any stage, pretty much from now onwards.

Someone like Latrell though, he and his manager will play the game and milk him for all he's worth... Which is a lot. Unless a middle to bottom tier club offer him an outrageous contract, like Newcastle did with Ponga (which ended up being genius), like the Cows did with Taumalolo and Manly with Cherry Evans, it's unlikely he'll leave the Roosters. If he does it'll be Souths.

Cheers mate, thanks for clearing that up. It certainly alleviates a lot of misconception surrounding recruitment and retention and helps to understand the pace at which retention managers work at. There seems to be fan outcry that we don't stitch up our youngsters for life before some other team swoops on them, but the managers obviously have time on their side so in essence, they (in our case Millward) are probably being quite smart and strategic in their maneuvering.

The Damo

Juniors

Sing it Tom. These are apparently very difficult concepts for some people to grasp.

possm

Coach
Are you saying we shouldn't try? We have post after post about getting real quality in the backline, if we dont take part in the game then we'll never get the stars.

Roosters have Uncle Nick but we have Uncle Gordon and I am sure if he wanted to he could match any TPAs that Uncle Nick finds. The issue with that is does Uncle Gordon want to. There is no reason we cant compete on dollars, the big stumbling block for me is the "other" factors that will influence his decision.

Maybe we can get him, maybe we cant, but we should seriously be in the race and giving it our best shot.
The offer of NRL fullback is something Mitchell has always wanted and something Uncle Nick can't offer him. Mitchell would be on fullback money plus a TPA.

possm

Coach
No possm. He couldn't.
CONFIDENTIAL
To all player managers
We are looking to sign a top of the line centre/fullback for season 2020 and beyond. Must be big and fast and able to kick goals. Should have speed, a good palm off and be very capable in defence. Contact me ASAP. Expressions of interest are now welcome and are to be strictly confidential.
Ian Millward

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I’m going to start having a drink any time possm mentions millward...

Actually, that’s a bad idea...

The Damo

Juniors
The offer of NRL fullback is something Mitchell has always wanted and something Uncle Nick can't offer him. Mitchell would be on fullback money plus a TPA.
He can offer to make him the highest paid centre in the game for his next contract, then dangle fullback when Tedesco moves/is moved on.

The Damo

Juniors
CONFIDENTIAL
To all player managers
We are looking to sign a top of the line centre/fullback for season 2020 and beyond. Must be big and fast and able to kick goals. Should have speed, a good palm off and be very capable in defence. Contact me ASAP. Expressions of interest are now welcome and are to be strictly confidential.
Ian Millward
Yes player managers are entirely trustworthy and would definitely keep that type of written evidence confidential.