What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Crowd Watch

footy75

Bench
Why? the game is not stressful on the players body, apart from the starting pitchers who are in a 5 day rotation.
Playing every day allows for contracts in the $40million a year range.

yeah sorry i was referring more to the NBA...the season just lags on and on making some players and teams just coast causing dead rubber games, players to rest etc. The real stuff starts now..play offs.

but yes i get your point how games can be played every second night etc due to the lack of stress on the body.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I was surprised when in Chicago how many people,were going to the white Sox game on a Wednesday afternoon. I guess when you have a city of 10million and just a handful of sports clubs enoug fans will find time off work to go during the week?

azza29

Juniors
I was surprised when in Chicago how many people,were going to the white Sox game on a Wednesday afternoon. I guess when you have a city of 10million and just a handful of sports clubs enoug fans will find time off work to go during the week?
I once went to a Nationals game in Washington on a Wednesday arvo - stadium would have been close to 70% full. Seems there is a culture around midweek attendance for MLB clubs.

T-Boon

Coach

Same with me in Cincinnati (population 300k).
Went to a Reds game mid week. Probably about 20k there. Pretty great crowd considering how many games they play. I paid $8 to get in and they put on a heck of a game day show.

Saint Doc

Coach
Peter Beattie just said 130,000 tickets sold.

That’s an average of 16,250, which is above the NRL average, meaning it is a positive for crowds.

Then if you go through each game and imagine it at the home team’s ground (Mothers Day weekend too):

Thursday night Sharks @ Gold Coast: 10k
Friday 6pm Panthers @ Leichhardt: 13k
Friday 8pm Broncos @ Brookie: 13k
Sat 3pm Knights @ ANZ/Dogs: 11k
Sat 5.30pm dragons @ NZ: 13k
Sat 7.30pm: Eels @ AAMI: 15k
Sun 2pm: Raiders @ SCG/Roosters: 12k
Sun 4pm: Cowboys @ ANZ/Souths: 12k

I really don’t think a single crowd would reach the 16k average we would get.

Magic Weekend = winner for crowds

Shark62

Juniors

That’s an average of 16,250, which is above the NRL average, meaning it is a positive for crowds.

Then if you go through each game and imagine it at the home team’s ground (Mothers Day weekend too):

After last Friday’s effort 10000 would have been a stretch at shark park

Billythekid

First Grade

It’s definitely looking like a winner. I guess the question is will the novelty wear off or perhaps will people be more excited for it next time? Have to wait and see what the weekend is like I guess. I have to say if it becomes a regular thing I’d love to be able to take a few days off and have a rugby league fiesta.

NK Arsenal

Juniors
It’s definitely looking like a winner. I guess the question is will the novelty wear off or perhaps will people be more excited for it next time? Have to wait and see what the weekend is like I guess. I have to say if it becomes a regular thing I’d love to be able to take a few days off and have a rugby league fiesta.
The best thing to do is move it to a different location every year
I reckon Eden Park, Optus Stadium, Adelaide Oval and perhaps even the revamped ANZ should be potential venues in the future

I once went to a Nationals game in Washington on a Wednesday arvo - stadium would have been close to 70% full. Seems there is a culture around midweek attendance for MLB clubs.

yeh my experience along the east coast (especially in cities like washington, philadelphia etc.) is that people will start work early and then get out to the game early afternoon. seems to be pretty well accepted...NY seemed different though

greenBV4

Bench
If Brisbane ticketed members had free entry to Friday night both Friday and Saturday would sell out
I get its not a home game for them but surely it wouldve made more sense to allow this

Come to think of it, all full ticketed members of every club should have free entry to the entire event

Valheru

Coach

They still have TV blackouts in local market if the stadium is not full

carcharias

Immortal
I just went to the pub
There was a baseball game in the TV
Ari
V
Rays
Whoever the hell they are.
Absolutely sweet feck all people there.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Copying and pasting that sentence would've been so taxing on you :stuck_out_tongue:

More than 130,000 tickets have been sold for the four-day event. Crowds of more than 40,000 are expected on Friday and Saturday and more than half the tickets sold are three-day passes.

Also from the same article

Unusually, NRL clubs appear to be satisfied with the Magic Round concept.

While some coaches are bemused about taking home matches to Brisbane, it’s understood each club will receive $270,000 while the NRL takes earnings from the gate.

Given some clubs are lucky to make a $60,000 profit from of a home game, particularly when they are playing an out-of-town team, this round appeals to their bottom line.

Magic Round starts on Thursday night with the Sharks taking on the Titans. A crowd of only 18,000 is expected.

The NRL admits its not an ideal way to launch its sparkly new concept. It initially wanted to play Magic Round over three days, starting with a double-header on Friday.

Free-to-air broadcast rights holder Channel Nine — which publishes the Herald — rejected that because Thursday night matches rate higher than any other.

The NRL had tried to give Nine exclusive rights to the season opener between Souths and Manly as a sweetener to drop the Thursday match but Nine refused.

Latest posts