What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

widdop

Dragons 09

Juniors
Agree. Given the money we paid him/are paying him and the way he played, it's an insult to give him the same nickname as a born and bred club great.

I know right? It's just shocking, i cant believe Rothfield or Kent aren't taking it to task and really exposing it for all it's worth.
It would be like you being nicknamed "Glenno" which would be an absolute insult to that great Australian comedian Glenn Robbins. Kell Knight and Russel Coight wouldn't stand for it i tell ya!

Dragonslayer

First Grade
FMD! Is this really how far we have decended as a forum that we now are dissing on someones nickname!

I dont give 2 *^#%!$^ hoots what his nickname is and comparing that to previous players is ridiculous to say the least. Haven't you guys got anything better to do? Seriously!

possm

Coach
FMD! Is this really how far we have decended as a forum that we now are dissing on someones nickname!

I dont give 2 *^#%!$^ hoots what his nickname is and comparing that to previous players is ridiculous to say the least. Haven't you guys got anything better to do? Seriously!
Well has been given an extension so nothing will change. What else to we have to argue about. The next 2.5 years of SGI is dead football wise.

Datramp

Juniors
It is very clear to me, Mary gave Widdop the nick name Gaz which previously was Gasnier's nick name. In my view, Widdop is not in Gasnier's class at all. For me giving that nick name to Widdop was an insult.

I disagree. Widdop is an English international and premiership winning 5/8. On top of that his 'class' was that he didn't leave the club in the lurch to go to France and play union but gave them a year warning that he wanted to leave.

If anything Widdop should be insulted to have the same nickname as Mark Gasnier (reg is a different story)

Gareth67

First Grade
Never picked you for a yawnion boy, Gaz!:D

Come to think of it I did start my career off by playing with Dundas Valley Rugby Union way back in the years before they even had a clubhouse . From there to Dundas Valley Rugby League and on to Dennistone R.L. ( who had a Jersey very similar to St.George ) who were in the Balmain competition . Only a lad at the time but geeze they were most enjoyable days .

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
So everyone is fit, where do you play them all?
Which player are you removing from the starting 13?
Dufty
Norman
Hunt
McInnes
My original team would have been
1. Duff
6. Widdop
7. Hunt
9. McInnes
14. Norman
However we need Norman in the team for his finishing ability in tight games. Those field goals were magic, Widdop isn't a big game closer.
I definitely think Hunt is our best halfback so I wouldn't be moving him.
McInnes has 9.
Dufty is our most potent attacking player so sending him back to reggies would be stupid.
As I said, I'd still pick Widdop I reckon at 6 but it would be a conundrum.

For me, it’s a straightforward equation:

1. Norman
6. Widdop.

Sadly, Dufty (while exciting) reminds me too much of Adam Quinlan.

His defence just isn’t up to first grade standard.

Putting CN to fullback would (hopefully) encourage him to run more often. It would also lessen his frustration with McInnes’ service from dummy half.

Glenn012

Juniors
For me, it’s a straightforward equation:

1. Norman
6. Widdop.

Sadly, Dufty (while exciting) reminds me too much of Adam Quinlan.

His defence just isn’t up to first grade standard.

Putting CN to fullback would (hopefully) encourage him to run more often. It would also lessen his frustration with McInnes’ service from dummy half.
Have we been watching different games? An argument can be made to say that Norman has a better running game than Widdop but it should be as plain as day he is primarily a playmaker and a good one, not a ball runner.

As for Widdop at 5/8, what do they say about trying the same thing over and over (for 5 f**king years of hell) and expecting a different result?

And obviously Widdop is a complete disaster at fullback.

I think by the time Norman is back, Widdop will be the #3 5/8 at the club.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Have we been watching different games? An argument can be made to say that Norman has a better running game than Widdop but it should be as plain as day he is primarily a playmaker and a good one, not a ball runner.

As for Widdop at 5/8, what do they say about trying the same thing over and over (for 5 f**king years of hell) and expecting a different result?

And obviously Widdop is a complete disaster at fullback.

I think by the time Norman is back, Widdop will be the #3 5/8 at the club.

Michael Witt, Sam Williams, Benji Marshall, Josh McCrone, Adam Quinlan, Kurt Mann, JDB (how could we forget?), Drew Hutchinson, Jai Field....then FINALLY a GENUINE halfback, Ben Hunt.

I’m also sure there have been a few more options before Hunt turned up.

Last edited: