What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OUR ROSTER IS *&^%

Mario chalmers

Juniors
Our 4 development players coming through have been touted as some of the best young talent coming through, Madden, Taulau, Bradley dominated the SG Ball comp last year

Although they are probably a couple years away surely atleast 1 of them can come good
Add Zac Cini to that list. There are 4 future first graders there and you get genorous salary cap discounts if you keep development players long term ;)

I'd say 2021 you can look for them to push on to NRL with all 4 playing a full year of reggies in '20. Talau and Bradley already there now.

stryker

First Grade
Excuse my bluntness here...but who gives a flying f**k at this stage about development players?

The OP is correct. Our roster is a turd that occasionally shines. I said this when Cleary assembled it and most Tigers fans were standing, cock in hand, stroking it to all the bus analogies. He overpaid for slightly above average talent. Our young players are either injury prone, massively over rated or both. Cleary was a shit coach who destroyed our attack yet people trusted him. I knew he was a pretender just as I know the current coach is. Make no mistake, in a years time most will agree he is fcked.

P.s. please stop defending Mbye...not only is he the comps worst fullback, he is in the bottom escheleon of players fullstop. Total waste of cap space.

The unknown

Juniors
And Madge has won comps in Aus, England and got NZ competitive again. Mr 42% isn't even fit enough to tie his sshoelaces

I'm not sure why most people are surprised with how we are going, we signed Matterson (terrific signing btw) but that's about it to an already average roster with aging overrated has beens.

Teams like Newcastle, Parra, Manly and Cowboys who had aids seasons last year recruited well and are on the improve aswell as the usual Roosters Melbourne, south's etc.

The Roosters game showed how far we are behind the pack. Madge has a shit ton of work ahead of him recruitment wise, still hopeful his kiwi connections can nab us a few up and comers

stryker

First Grade
And Madge has won comps in Aus, England and got NZ competitive again. Mr 42% isn't even fit enough to tie his sshoelaces

I'm not sure why most people are surprised with how we are going, we signed Matterson (terrific signing btw) but that's about it to an already average roster with aging overrated has beens.

Teams like Newcastle, Parra, Manly and Cowboys who had aids seasons last year recruited well and are on the improve aswell as the usual Roosters Melbourne, south's etc.

The Roosters game showed how far we are behind the pack. Madge has a shit ton of work ahead of him recruitment wise, still hopeful his kiwi connections can nab us a few up and comers
Last thing we need is more sheep shaggers in the side.
Go to Fiji and PNG and hire some tall, athletic wingers and hard as nails centers.

The unknown

Juniors
Last thing we need is more sheep shaggers in the side.
Go to Fiji and PNG and hire some tall, athletic wingers and hard as nails centers.

Watching a couple of the games this weekend every team has exactly what you described, especially that winger from Parra, he goes hard

What the f**k has a recruitment team been been doing for the last 10 year's?

Shredder

Juniors
Canberra is having a LOT of success poaching out of the UK - just saying.....

They picked up another English man last night to. A half.

Shredder

Juniors
We went from having a squad of depth players to no more f**king depth in a heartbeat.

I dont know how or when we did it, but I missed it.

The vast majority of our players are shit and overpaid.

I like our young forward pack, but it needs a proper leader or two not two kiwi guys that dont give a f**k Throw a Klemmer and a Tapau into that pack and its perfect.

Our backs are a mess. from 1 to 6. Brooks Im still not sure on. He won Daly M last year as the rest of the team around him was shit.

Thomson is a great example. One of our best every week. BUT at any other team hes sitting in reserves waiting for an injury to come into the top flight.

And 9. How do we go from a club with such a rich history of 9s and run into this season with a guy thats 50 yrs old and one other who hasnt ever played 80 mins and I cant remember the last time he strung three games together.

The worst part is, there is only shit off contract at other clubs to. And yeah I know quality comes up at a discount and blah blah, but not 12 of them.

I started the other thread to make a point. We go out and drop all 12 of the f**kers off contract this year and pick up 10-12 guys like we all seem to be agreeing on.

Next year buy a marque. Build a club that has some pride for f**ks sake.

Tiger05

First Grade
You mean we can't go out and replace 12 players. It's too hard. You won't end up in a much better position.

Honestly I just want incremental improvements and some focus on key areas. If we can get a marquee player go for it but these signings often don't work out. A marquee signing like Reynolds has been pretty poor. A marquee signing like Latrell would be worth the risk.

The team are mentally brittle. They cannot maintain the consistency required to compete every week.

They've shown enough in the last two years that they can beat anyone on their day, they just cannot for whatever reason get up week to week to want to win.

You mean we can't go out and replace 12 players. It's too hard. You won't end up in a much better position.

Honestly I just want incremental improvements and some focus on key areas. If we can get a marquee player go for it but these signings often don't work out. A marquee signing like Reynolds has been pretty poor. A marquee signing like Latrell would be worth the risk.

Well you can with smart recruiting. All possible replacements should be players in situations like Matterson. Quality players who are stuck behind others or on the nose for whatever reason, lure them here with first team time on reasonable coin. Some obvious examples at the moment are Aitken (great attacking player despite being a little defensively suspect,) Edwards, Isaako, Scott. We should be speaking with all four of these guys. While he doesn't fit the above scenarios, but Rapana is off contract, while might be hard to compete with Canberra when they doing OK he is exactly the sort of player we require and we should definitely be speaking to him.

Tiger05

First Grade
It's going to be basically impossible to dump 12 players and get 12 players in. Sure we can get some. Aitken is probably a good option but he is in reserve grade for a reason. Issako would be perfect for us but will we be able to get him. Rapana is another one.

That is just a handful of players.

We need good recruiting decisions. Trying to turnover 12 first grade players and make good recruiting decisions is basically impossible.

Target some outside backs, then some props to replace Packer and Matulino when they go. We have problems in our spine as well but I don't see how you fix that until you get rid of Reynolds.

I just think we need to prioritise signings.

Tiger Ted

Bench
We went from having a squad of depth players to no more f**king depth in a heartbeat.

I dont know how or when we did it, but I missed it.

The vast majority of our players are shit and overpaid.

I like our young forward pack, but it needs a proper leader or two not two kiwi guys that dont give a f**k Throw a Klemmer and a Tapau into that pack and its perfect.

Our backs are a mess. from 1 to 6. Brooks Im still not sure on. He won Daly M last year as the rest of the team around him was shit.

Thomson is a great example. One of our best every week. BUT at any other team hes sitting in reserves waiting for an injury to come into the top flight.

And 9. How do we go from a club with such a rich history of 9s and run into this season with a guy thats 50 yrs old and one other who hasnt ever played 80 mins and I cant remember the last time he strung three games together.

The worst part is, there is only shit off contract at other clubs to. And yeah I know quality comes up at a discount and blah blah, but not 12 of them.

I started the other thread to make a point. We go out and drop all 12 of the f**kers off contract this year and pick up 10-12 guys like we all seem to be agreeing on.

Next year buy a marque. Build a club that has some pride for f**ks sake.
I’m certainly hearing u mate !

We r in a glaringly shithouse position largely due to mind-bogglingly moronic decisions re recruitment & retention.

Tiger Ted

Bench
It's going to be basically impossible to dump 12 players and get 12 players in. Sure we can get some. Aitken is probably a good option but he is in reserve grade for a reason. Issako would be perfect for us but will we be able to get him. Rapana is another one.

That is just a handful of players.

We need good recruiting decisions. Trying to turnover 12 first grade players and make good recruiting decisions is basically impossible.

Target some outside backs, then some props to replace Packer and Matulino when they go. We have problems in our spine as well but I don't see how you fix that until you get rid of Reynolds.

I just think we need to prioritise signings.
We desperately need a top draw game manager.I like young Flanagan at Cronulla a kid who has the excellent Townsend in front of him & has the talent & the smarts which Brooks is devoid of to competently steer the team around park.

Shredder

Juniors
I still don't understand the argument as to why we cant just replace 12 players. They are off contract and probably being paid relative overs. As far as I know even with the cap fine, we still have a bit of cash in the kitty anyways. We still need to fill a roster spot before the end of next month.

Tiger05

First Grade
I still don't understand the argument as to why we cant just replace 12 players. They are off contract and probably being paid relative overs. As far as I know even with the cap fine, we still have a bit of cash in the kitty anyways. We still need to fill a roster spot before the end of next month.

It's hard to recruit a couple of quality players let alone 12. Sure you can get 12 players but you will probably have a dud roster and it will probably be worse than what we currently have.

Front-Rower

First Grade
We desperately need a top draw game manager.I like young Flanagan at Cronulla a kid who has the excellent Townsend in front of him & has the talent & the smarts which Brooks is devoid of to competently steer the team around park.

Yes we need a halfback. The last time we had a great halfback we won a Comp. The last time we had a semi decent half back we got to the finals!!

Mario chalmers

Juniors
It's hard to recruit a couple of quality players let alone 12. Sure you can get 12 players but you will probably have a dud roster and it will probably be worse than what we currently have.

Based on the Tigers website

Off Contract 2019

Chee Kam
Aloiai
Farah
Fonua
Gamble
Lawrence
Liddle
Marshall
Mikaele
Rochow
Thompson

There isnt enough big money contracts among that lot. We won't have enough cap space to bring in high quality players.

There have been some major stuff ups with recruitment and last weeks performance highlighted this. The side is bog average at best. Still I would rather blood youngsters and get excited about watching them improve each week than take on established players that nobody else wants.

Mario chalmers

Juniors
The only hope I have is that Barry Ofarrell can organise some third party sponsorships to pick up big name players. You'd think he is well connected in business circles.

I don't know that we can afford to bring on a 30th player because there were reports we had to seek permission to sign Robert Jennings from the NRL.

Fordy20

Juniors
I have concerns about cash too and players signed to long contracts. Retention needs to be sorted before looking around at who we can sign. Aloiai, Mikaele and Liddle need to be re-signed asap and Twal extended too if possible. I expect Robbie, Benji and Rowdy to retire and Rochow obviously won't be re-signed. From there, we'd have to think long and hard about whether we should keep Chee-Kam, Gamble, Fonua and Thompson. Of the on contract players, Jennings and Nofo can play wing, Taylor and McQueen are enough depth for second row and when it comes to spine players, unfortunately Gamble is surplus to requirements given the high priced players we already have tied up to long contracts.

Latest posts