What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW 2019

Springs09

Juniors
The QLD pick and stick mantra is a bit of a myth. They won 12 of 13 years or whatever it was and had the likes of Slater, Inglis, Hodges, Thurston, Lockyer, Cronk, Smith, Civonaceva, Price, Scott etc. Who the hell were they going to drop?

Then when they lost the first game of 2017 convincingly they brought out the chopping block quicker then Trump did on The Apprentice

They quickly dropped Shillington and Harrison after losing game 1 of 2013 too, after 7 years of so-called 'pick and stick'.

Players like Thurston, Smith and Lockyer had no real rivals for the majority of their Origin careers and Slater was switched back and forth with Hunt until Hunt left. I certainly never remember Thurston and Cronk playing like busteds while other QLD halves were playing out of their skin.

aqua_duck

Coach
The QLD pick and stick mantra is a bit of a myth. They won 12 of 13 years or whatever it was and had the likes of Slater, Inglis, Hodges, Thurston, Lockyer, Cronk, Smith, Civonaceva, Price, Scott etc. Who the hell were they going to drop?

Then when they lost the first game of 2017 convincingly they brought out the chopping block quicker then Trump did on The Apprentice
Hit the nail on the head. It's easy to pick and stick when you have guys like Lockyer, Slater, Smith, Inglis, Hodges, Scott, Thaiday, Myles, Cronk, Petero, etc who were all proven at that level and also amongst the all time greats. People forget there were plenty of guys who didn't have such illustrious careers like Chris McQueen, Dane Nielson, Justin O'Neill, Aidan Guerra, DCE, Jacob Lillyman, etc

Big Pete

Referee
I wouldn't call it a myth, but it's definitely apples to oranges. New South Wales have always been spoiled for choice, to the point where it over-complicates their selection policies and prevents combinations from forming. Whenever a New South Wales team dared to lose, the knives would come out from all sections and the selectors were busy trying to serve too many masters. With Queensland, there were a few times where they could have easily gone for the more in-form player but stuck with combinations.

In hindsight, it may appear that the Maroons had it easy, but they also reaped their own rewards. A lot of players were selected ahead of their time and became better players due to their experience in the Origin arena.

With that said, it shouldn't be a problem for NSW anymore. Freddy has a great approach to Origin and he's well and truly swung the pendulum NSW favour. It's going to take a massive effort for Queensland to win the shield back.

myrrh ken

First Grade
I should throw Croker's name out there - the forgotten man.

I reckon he's the bloke to do it. Would have to swap sides but at least hes a centre.

Wighton might be out if there is a "good bloke" policy

typicalfan

Coach
I should throw Croker's name out there - the forgotten man.

I reckon he's the bloke to do it. Would have to swap sides but at least hes a centre.

Wighton might be out if there is a "good bloke" policy
Well if you pick Cotric and him on one side maybe it could work.

Mine without confidence.

1. James Tedesco
2. Josh Addo Carr
3. Latrell Mitchell
4. Tyrone Peachey
5. Nick Cotric
6. Luke Keary
7. Nathan Cleary
8. David Klemmer
9. Damien Cook
10. Paul Vaughan
11. Boyd Cordner
12. Tyson Frizell
13. Jake Trbojevic

14. Tariq Sims
15. Angus Crighton
16. Tevita Pangai Jnr
17. Victor Radley.

TheFrog

Coach
Well if you pick Cotric and him on one side maybe it could work.

Mine without confidence.

1. James Tedesco
2. Josh Addo Carr
3. Latrell Mitchell
4. Tyrone Peachey
5. Nick Cotric
6. Luke Keary
7. Nathan Cleary
8. David Klemmer
9. Damien Cook
10. Paul Vaughan
11. Boyd Cordner
12. Tyson Frizell
13. Jake Trbojevic

14. Tariq Sims
15. Angus Crighton
16. Tevita Pangai Jnr
17. Victor Radley.
Pretty good, but like a lot of others you are not able to cover an injury in the backs. Peach needs to be on the bench.

King hit

Coach
I've been thinking about the NSW halves and on form Keary and Walker are the ones to pick.

Tedesco and Cook are going to be there of course and I believe both Keary and Walker would work well with them. Keary/Walker have played a full season at Souths together and played alongside Cook that year in 2016 so they know each others games well. Tedesco is also running of Keary outstandingly well at the Roosters.

A spine of Tedesco, Walker, Keary and Cook sounds quite deadly.

ram raid

Bench
Thurston was good enough to play either.

Maybe Keary is. I think he played on the left side when he was at Souths. But I dont know if he's good enough to be able to step out of position into an Origin side.

Springs09

Juniors
So what's NSW options for the remaining centre spot?
James Roberts
Jack Bird
Tyrone Peachey
Josh Dugan
Josh Morris
Jarrod Croker
Jesse Ramien
Clint Gutherson
Michael Jennings
Blake Ferguson

Any others?

Spot On

Coach
I've been thinking about the NSW halves and on form Keary and Walker are the ones to pick.

Tedesco and Cook are going to be there of course and I believe both Keary and Walker would work well with them. Keary/Walker have played a full season at Souths together and played alongside Cook that year in 2016 so they know each others games well. Tedesco is also running of Keary outstandingly well at the Roosters.

A spine of Tedesco, Walker, Keary and Cook sounds quite deadly.

Keary was penciled in 8 months ago KH.

The Friz

Juniors
So what's NSW options for the remaining centre spot?
James Roberts
Jack Bird
Tyrone Peachey
Josh Dugan
Josh Morris
Jarrod Croker
Jesse Ramien
Clint Gutherson
Michael Jennings
Blake Ferguson

Any others?
Jack Wighton could be a smokey

aqua_duck

Coach
To me it doesn't matter what number you want to put on keary's back he should be played on the left, the combination he's got going with Cordner, Teddy and Latrell down that left hand side for the roosters is one of the most devastating combinations I've seen in years