What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rockin' the suburbs - Finals back to base

Springs09

Juniors
There’d be some upset fans if they did. It’s not a great venue.

If the Dragons have the choice they’d surely take Kogarah. It’s a genuine home ground advantage.

Yes but surely the NRL can step in and move the game if there's a chance that 20,000 fans could be locked out?

Games like Manly v Cowboys sure, play it at Brookvale if need be. But another Dragons v Eels final at Kogarah? No way.

Also what's the Bankwest situation with Prelims? If the Eels get a home prelim against a Sydney team surely it will be at ANZ? They got 40k+ against the Cowboys a few years ago.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
So it is up to clubs and NRL won't step in?

I can't imagine a scenario where they would let a 1st placed saints play a 4th placed parra at Kogarah for example.

But we will see soon enough I guess.
It would be mostly up to clubs, would be consultation based I guess.

But ultimately, surely a full Kogarah looks better than a 1/2 or 3/4 full SCG.
Saints hosting Parra at Bankwest? May aswell have the Tigers host the Panthers in Penrith.
Be realistic. That won't happen.

Silent Knight

First Grade

I like the cut of your jib but those in Wankerland can't see the forest for the paper mill, if you get my possum. Mudgee should have it's own team with Shaun Johnson at prop but there are none so blind as those who go pig shootin' with the rough crowd out the back of the Blue Mountains, so here we are...

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Yes but surely the NRL can step in and move the game if there's a chance that 20,000 fans could be locked out?

Games like Manly v Cowboys sure, play it at Brookvale if need be. But another Dragons v Eels final at Kogarah? No way.

Also what's the Bankwest situation with Prelims? If the Eels get a home prelim against a Sydney team surely it will be at ANZ? They got 40k+ against the Cowboys a few years ago.
I think it's the same concept - if a full Bankwest looks better than a half full ANZ then go with the better look. Make these things premium events and build the demand

adamkungl

Immortal
The SCG isn't fit for RL. It's a cricket ground, hence the name. Even looks shit on TV from there.

You are correct, but they're already committed to holding the Grand Final there for at least 1 year, and there aren't any better options that can fit a finals crowd in the east.

Springs09

Juniors
I think it's the same concept - if a full Bankwest looks better than a half full ANZ then go with the better look. Make these things premium events and build the demand

Well hopefully people think that 40k at ANZ looks better than 18k at Kogarah and 50k at ANZ looks better than 29k at Bankwest.

hutch

First Grade
If there was actually a 40k crowd on the cards it'd be insane to play it at Kogarah.

Part of the reason why this is a backwards step. NRL should retain control of finals, they're the ones who lose hundreds of thousands in gate $$ if the club makes a poor choice.
We should be looking to improve finals crowds not concede defeat.

This!

Valheru

Coach
It would be mostly up to clubs, would be consultation based I guess.

But ultimately, surely a full Kogarah looks better than a 1/2 or 3/4 full SCG.

Round 1 was 25k and looked pretty good.

I can't see those 2 teams getting less than 30k to a finals game against each other.

SBD82

Coach
If there was actually a 40k crowd on the cards it'd be insane to play it at Kogarah.

Part of the reason why this is a backwards step. NRL should retain control of finals, they're the ones who lose hundreds of thousands in gate $$ if the club makes a poor choice.
We should be looking to improve finals crowds not concede defeat.
I understand what you’re saying, but I don’t agree. The atmosphere of that final against parra was outstanding. It would be outstanding against the dogs too, and much better than 40k at the SCG or ANZ.

I know it locks out fans, but why is this such an issue? If the tickets are in huge demand they could be sold at a premium. Decreasing supply won’t decrease demand, members get first crack, and ideally it would lead to increased memberships in the future.

SBD82

Coach
No, it literally says in the article Sydney clubs can still choose those three stadia.

Sydney clubs can also take games to the new Bankwest Stadium, home to the Eels, or ANZ Stadium or the SCG, where the Roosters are slated to host their home finals.
My bad. I read that as you saying they couldn’t use Kogarah.

Latest posts