What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Noise

Coach
Can the smart people in here tell me why someone would press charges for alleged assault and then go to court supporting said person who allegedly assaulted you?

Because the victim wants nice things, live near the beach and not have to work and her partners 700k would stop rolling in if she went through with the complaint.

Kornstar

Coach
So i guess in this case she couldn't drop the charges and therefore had to go to court? I'm just more curious that if she is happy to stay with him why there would be a court case.

I clearly haven't read anything about this case.

Noise

Coach
So i guess in this case she couldn't drop the charges and therefore had to go to court? I'm just more curious that if she is happy to stay with him why there would be a court case.

There was some evidence from the 000 call and neighbors as witnesses. Obviously it wasn’t enough

Happy MEel

First Grade

I’m not sure if was used in this case, but there’s also a thing called a DVEC (Domestic Violence Evidence in Chief) which is essentially a taped interview with the victim taken at the time of the incident and can be used to prosecute a perpetrator, regardless of the victim’s intention to press charges.

Kornstar

Coach
There was some evidence from the 000 call and neighbors as witnesses. Obviously it wasn’t enough

I’m not sure if was used in this case, but there’s also a thing called a DVEC (Domestic Violence Evidence in Chief) which is essentially a taped interview with the victim taken at the time of the incident and can be used to prosecute a perpetrator, regardless of the victim’s intention to press charges.

Well someone made money out of it that's for sure......lawyers and judges were the real winners here.......

hindy111

Post Whore
Can the smart people in here tell me why someone would press charges for alleged assault and then go to court supporting said person who allegedly assaulted you?

Sure.
She was upset at time, maybe even over reacted maybe didn't but once clamed down and realised how much worse off they would both be dropped charges.

• “But I didn’t press charges!” Why police will arrest your partner regardless.
You make a report to police about your partner’s conduct toward you. You don’t want to press charges but police charge your partner anyway. This is a common story, and it is particularly common in cases of domestic violence or, as it is now called, family violence.

There is a common misconception that it is your decision whether or not to press charges. You may have been told this or you may have learnt it from watching US TV dramas, however that is simply not the case in Australia. Here, the prosecuting authorities decide whether or not to lay charges and once charges have been laid, you have very little say in what happens next.

https://aulich.com.au/pressing-charges-and-arrest/

Johnny88

Juniors
Outcast Eel Bevan French ready for a transfer

Bevan French is open to changing clubs before the June 30 transfer deadline, with a number of NRL rivals expressing interest.
His form hasn’t gone unnoticed by teams, including North Queensland, Canterbury and the Gold Coast.
The Cowboys have made inquiries about French being released by Parramatta before the June 30 deadline.
French also hasn’t ruled out staying at the Eels, depending on the futures of fellow backs Clint Gutherson and Mitchell Moses.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...r/news-story/975e2145022ba3f2bd5916b4b7f2bc7a

IIRC, what was in dispute, was the manner in which DW touched/grabbed the lady that resulted in her turning around as she was walking away from him. The initial story was that he grabbed her by the hair,
From the ABC News site (this the the testimony of the alleged victim):

"After the fact, I realised he did not pull my hair, that's what I believed at the time, but he reached out to grab my shoulder, not my hair — that got in the way," she said.

"When everyone left I had a chance to breathe and think — I reached out to family and friends and realised I was recalling things differently to what had happened."

"I feel like I overreacted, he didn't show any aggression, I was very upset and all I was worried about was my child."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-05...not-guilty-domestic-violence-charges/11102580

Make it hard to beat the 'beyond reasonable doubt' provision with that testimony.

Outcast Eel Bevan French ready for a transfer

Bevan French is open to changing clubs before the June 30 transfer deadline, with a number of NRL rivals expressing interest.
His form hasn’t gone unnoticed by teams, including North Queensland, Canterbury and the Gold Coast.
The Cowboys have made inquiries about French being released by Parramatta before the June 30 deadline.
French also hasn’t ruled out staying at the Eels, depending on the futures of fellow backs Clint Gutherson and Mitchell Moses.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...r/news-story/975e2145022ba3f2bd5916b4b7f2bc7a
Interesting that the retention of a half could affect his future? You better believe it is maybe!

Noise

Coach
IIRC, what was in dispute, was the manner in which DW touched/grabbed the lady that resulted in her turning around as she was walking away from him. The initial story was that he grabbed her by the hair,
From the ABC News site (this the the testimony of the alleged victim):

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-05...not-guilty-domestic-violence-charges/11102580

Make it hard to beat the 'beyond reasonable doubt' provision with that testimony.

Ah so his potential loss of income had nothing to do with it..gotcha :rolling_eyes:

Ah so his potential loss of income had nothing to do with it..gotcha :rolling_eyes:

????

That has nothing to do with the decision facing the court. I'm just saying that if that is the evidence before the magistrate, it would be hard to find find the guy guilty. It's not a balance of probabilities decision.

Noise

Coach
????

That has nothing to do with the decision facing the court. I'm just saying that if that is the evidence before the magistrate, it would be hard to find find the guy guilty. It's not a balance of probabilities decision.

I get that he was probably never going to be found guilty when she pulled her original story. The post you quoted of mine was in response to Kornstar who asked how it even got to court when she wasn’t going to follow through. I was stating there was still some evidence that the prosecution may have thought could get it done. ie. 000 call, neighbors (as witnesse)

Latest posts