What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 State of Origin Eels

emjaycee

Coach
It hasn't been too often over the last few years that we have had any need to talk about possible Eels players that might make State of Origin sides, however injuries to and form of some incumbent Origin players has brought 4 Eels names into the mix.

QLD:
Mahoney - with the injuries to Friend and McCullough have brought young Reed's name into the mix as a potential benchy for the Maroons. With Hunt the probable starting hooker, Mahoney would allow both coverage for the halves (Hunt to halves, Mahoney to hooker) and give the option of spelling Hunt if he cannot handle the full 80 mins in the middle. My estimate of his chances = 40%

NSW:
Ferguson - no Turbo Tom so Fittler needs a new winger and Fergy was not only in the extended squad but is playing like he did last year with huge metres and good finishing. My estimate of his chances = 80%

Mennings - is in good enough form and has the experience of SoO to be a suitable replacement for the out of form Jimmy "The Jet" Roberts. Unless Fittler decides to stick with Roberts despite his current form in which case Jennings won't be considered. Interesting though that his name has been talked about in some quarters. My estimate of his chances = 30%

Gutherson - he wants Origin money so maybe we might see if he is worth it. As a utility he would be an ideal benchy as he can cover 1-6 if needed. Hasn't been talked about from anyone in the Blues camp that I have read although Fittler does supposedly rate him. In his way is Tyrone Peachey who despite the performance of the Titans in 2019 is the incumbent and is reportedly in good individual form. My estimate of his chances = 40%

Bazal

Post Whore
Whoever is reporting Peachey is in good form is probably the same merkin someone else said had stated that Mahoney was no hope of Origin cos he's playing reggies.

He's been absolutely dross

Gronk

Staff member
Junior Paulo anyone ? Has he made himself available for NSW ? He would have to be one of the form props along with Vaughan and Klemmer. Considering RCG is playing rubbish footy ATM. I guess they may go with Korbin Sims.

Bazal

Post Whore
Mahoney will definitely be considered, but I reckon they'll go for Morgan on the bench.

Covers centre, fullback, halves, can definitely fill in at hooker and a big enough body to even play edge forward for a bit in an emergency. And his form is severely underrated at the moment

emjaycee

Coach
Mahoney will definitely be considered, but I reckon they'll go for Morgan on the bench.

Covers centre, fullback, halves, can definitely fill in at hooker and a big enough body to even play edge forward for a bit in an emergency. And his form is severely underrated at the moment
With DCE possibly injured for Game 1, they may choose Morgan in 7 to partner Munster....

Bazal

Post Whore
With DCE possibly injured for Game 1, they may choose Morgan in 7 to partner Munster....

Yeah I think DCE will be fit. But of Morgan is starting Reed may get a chance.

Still think they'd go with Mbop. Although I reckon he's rubbish.

Happy MEel

First Grade
Junior Paulo anyone ? Has he made himself available for NSW ? He would have to be one of the form props along with Vaughan and Klemmer. Considering RCG is playing rubbish footy ATM. I guess they may go with Korbin Sims.
A prop rotation of Junior, Fifita, Vaughan and Klemmer would be awesome. Is Taukeiaho available for Origin? If so, I’d take him over Klemmer.

We also have awesome edge forwards in Sims and Cordner and a fantastic hooker in Cook.

I’d give the 13 jersey to Murray or TPJ and have Frizell on the bench to cover both the edge and middle.

That’s a pretty shit hot forward pack.

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
Sims has declared himself a QLDER. I know right.........

were you joking???

Last edited:

Obscene Assassin

First Grade

There was talk they may play Morgan in the centres

hindy111

Post Whore

Yes

Noise

Coach
Leilua our for the season (neck), Jack Bird went off last night too (knee?). Gutho might be the only option available for right centre.

strider

Post Whore
Mennings before Gutho into the centres you would think.
That seems logical but i wouldnt be surprised if gutho got a crack

No one at all is mentioning mennings in the media. Did he retire from origin or something?