What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd 9: Parramatta v Storm LIVE GAME DAY Thread 11th May 2019

The difference between the two teams last night came down to Craig Bellamy. I’m so sure of it.

After last nights performance I think BA should be let go. But I really don’t know which other coach other than Bellamy could really do the Job. There’s no decent coaches on the market. All are BA standard.

hindy111

Post Whore
The difference between the two teams last night came down to Craig Bellamy. I’m so sure of it.

After last nights performance I think BA should be let go. But I really don’t know which other coach other than Bellamy could really do the Job. There’s no decent coaches on the market. All are BA standard.

Fitler or Toovey would be my picks.

Fitler or Toovey would be my picks.
I'd take Tooves. He and Menzies are the only 2 eagles I have any respect for. Such a tough little merkin he was and not too bad of a coach either. Imagine if we could win a premiership with Tooves as coach. That would be awesome for us as we win one and also heartbreaking for those silvertail merkins from the peninsular.

emjaycee

Coach
I'd take Tooves. He and Menzies are the only 2 eagles I have any respect for. Such a tough little merkin he was and not too bad of a coach either. Imagine if we could win a premiership with Tooves as coach. That would be awesome for us as we win one and also heartbreaking for those silvertail merkins from the peninsular.
Was Toovey the coach that cut Gutho from the Sea Eagles?

Djay

Juniors
I don't know and I don't care. He was reserve grader with a bung knee when they let him go. And I'm not real impressed with his antics of late either. I know there isn't one available but I'd like a better FB than him anyway. f**k Gutho!
He was awful last night and the way his carried himself during these negotiations has now made him look rather silly. He can piss off if he honestly believes after last night his worth that much, his not worth the money he wants and last night was proof of that.

Djay

Juniors
Yeah but how how do you change it?

I mentioned after the Knights game some of what you mention here and the usual suspects gave it a hammering. I agree with you FTR. It's not the current coach, it's not the current players, it's not the current admin. Every one of those has been changed time and again and the same things keep happening.

Ultimately, since about 2006, we have been an average club with tremendous off field mismanagement. That saw us sack too many coaches in a short period and eventually cheat the cap to try and make up for financial mismanagement.

In turn, that has given us a stigma. It's tough for a club with that stigma to attract top coaches or players. So we wind up with decent coaches at best who have to try and take risks on players. Or pay big overs. That goes for every coach since Smith, not just BA. In turn, that cycle perpetuates because we perform like an average side. Coaches then get moved on, and/or the players we want don't want us.

How do we fix it? Firstly at some point, we have to suck it up and deal with being average. We've sort of done that the last few years. BA may or may not be extended, but we are showing the right patience IMO with his deal, along with Gutho and even Moses. That is good management where we would have caved previously.

Secondly, we need to make a smart decision, with a smart length of deal, and stick to our next coach for the duration, whoever it is. That has been hard in the past, partly because of factions wanting to take control for their own ends and members/fans turning on their own quicker than piranhas in a drought. We may need to stick by another average coach to show a good one that we are willing to give coaches every opportunity to succeed.

Thirdly, we need to be smarter with the players we recruit and re-sign. Guys like Taka and Terepo are average players who are made below average by their attitude, for eg. You are always much better with safer average NRL players. Like Alvaro, or Mannah. We need to learn that sometimes the safe play is better than the high risk play, especially when it comes to players of limited abilities.

Unfortunately I'm concerned this is all just wasted words, because if we don't get the off field reform we need dicks like Eagleston are going to continue the same squabbling shit we've put up with since the early 2000s and nothing will change.

That is seriously the root of all our problems IMO. And I expect quite a few well known folks to take exception to that. But whatever
Pretty spot on, not much more to add.

All I can say is, that I’ve been a massive BA fan but his had plenty of time to weed out this consistent failure and he hasn’t. But like I’ve said I don’t think anyone could fix us except for maybe Bellamy. So regardless of the players we have or the coach we have this club is doomed and it has been for years like you said. We can ask and hope that they never dish up another performance like this again but the reality is we will, we do it every year. No matter what, it’s in our DNA. People can whinge about TPAs and this and that, at the end of the day, that doesn’t excuse this rubbish we have been putting out for years. We have a good enough team to compete and we have shown that this year, copping 60 is inexcusable and comes down to mentality, culture and attitude. We suck in all those areas.

I don’t see the end in sight for us as a club because there isn’t any coach out there who can transform us. The problem is deeply rooted within the club and I am at a loss as to how it gets removed.

IFR33K

Coach
I am not writing this season off. The squad is good enough to give it a shake still.
For that to happen we do need a 5/8. D.Brown back hopefully or someone else gets a chance.( W.Smith )

Taka is capable at times but certainly a spot worth upgrading. To hot and cold
- Salmon deserves first crack.

N.Brown will be a huge boost as well.

If the reports are true we’re after DWZ, I’m guessing it’s for gutho to slot in at 6.

Chipmunk

Coach
And those are just legal TPAs. The Storm club has proven its willingness to cheat in the past, not coincidentally when they played in four straight grand finals. Do you think they're a chance of playing in this year's grand final? Because they have appeared in the last three.

Well we've shown our willingness to cheat in the past also. What's your point?

I think their TPA numbers are presently distorted because of two players. I doubt their TPAs will be high going forward. I doubt most of their TPA's are "Club" related.

Last edited:

EelsFan05

Bench
Did anyone see the dressing room footage just before the team were about to run out? BA, Moses and Gutho were talking together. Gutho seemed to crack the shits and waved off something that was said in his direction as he was walking out of the room.

Maybe I was seeing things, but it didn't look right to me.