What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Magic Weekend 2019 - Suncorp

Perth Red

Post Whore
I never said anything about who goes to the games. I said it takes the game to big cities and stadiums RL isnt played in professionally. And then I followed it up by saying that these stadiums being close to heartlands makes it an easier sell for fans to travel.

Apologies, thought you meant it was working as it was in non rl cities,

For SL fans main thing is novelty of stadium and pubs in walking distance! Cardiff remains the favourite for most.

VictoryFC

Bench
Apologies, thought you meant it was working as it was in non rl cities,

For SL fans main thing is novelty of stadium and pubs in walking distance! Cardiff remains the favourite for most.

Yeah it’s a concept suited well to the SL. I dont see much use for it here. Attendance was fine, but it is a gimmick concept for sports leagues to drum up interest and boost attendance for a round. Thats fine for SL, but not necessary for NRL.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
There's a difference between questioning it, constructively criticising, and doing what you do - actively shit on it and anything that happens in the NRL, which is your modus operandi. It's evident across several threads.

We're all cynics here but you come across as someone who doesn't even like the game.

I'd have to be a pretty determined afl troll to post on here for 13 + years mate .

T-Boon

Coach
Yeah it’s a concept suited well to the SL. I dont see much use for it here. Attendance was fine, but it is a gimmick concept for sports leagues to drum up interest and boost attendance for a round. Thats fine for SL, but not necessary for NRL.

Are you kidding. The crowds in Sydney are terrible. This gets some games out of Sydney (which is a start), plus makes the clubs some money which when other cities can bid and compete for it should go up quite a bit.
Meanwhile, on TV every game has looked more interesting because there hasnt been empty seats everywhere.

T-Boon

Coach

You don't think its necessary to boost attendances in the NRL???

T-Boon

Coach
It's arguable that it's boosting it.

Yesterday gets more at the 3 normal venues IMO

I disagree bigly, but even if you are right and those three would have gotten more elsewhere it still leads to bigger crowds in the long run.
We need to get Sydney clubs only offering about 9 (some clubs 8) home games a season 12 or 11 is way too many on the evidence we have.
There would be good atmosphere at the magic weekend crowds. That creates a desire to want to spend your $30 on that again unlike going to ANZ. Going to ANZ is like going to the cinema and end up seeing a crap movie. You walk out thinking of better things you could have spent your time and money on.
Furthermore even just watching on TV and seeing a good crowd getting into it creates a "thats the place to be" for the TV viewer. Again, ANZ games create a "thats the place not to be" buzz. I actually get a lonely feeling when I am watching RL being played at ANZ on TV. I will even turn over to watch other sports.

Timbo

Staff member

It’s also being used the complete opposite way. The Super League uses it to create buzz in places where RL isn’t the main sport. We’re playing it in the heartland.

I’d get it if it was in Melbourne or Perth but it doesn’t make a lot of sense to me in Brisbane. Likewise, the cost of travel between cities in Australia is prohibitive compared to the UK where you just jump on a train.

It’s an interesting gimmick but I’m genuinely not sure what it’s supposed to achieve. Is it bringing extra fans to the game? Are there more people going to this round? I’d be interested to see how many Brisbane locals have gone to multiple days of the event - I’m guessing it’s a fairly high number. In which case I remain unsure of the purpose of the event.

TheDMC

Bench
I disagree bigly, but even if you are right and those three would have gotten more elsewhere it still leads to bigger crowds in the long run.
We need to get Sydney clubs only offering about 9 (some clubs 8) home games a season 12 or 11 is way too many on the evidence we have.
There would be good atmosphere at the magic weekend crowds. That creates a desire to want to spend your $30 on that again unlike going to ANZ. Going to ANZ is like going to the cinema and end up seeing a crap movie. You walk out thinking of better things you could have spent your time and money on.
Furthermore even just watching on TV and seeing a good crowd getting into it creates a "thats the place to be" for the TV viewer. Again, ANZ games create a "thats the place not to be" buzz. I actually get a lonely feeling when I am watching RL being played at ANZ on TV. I will even turn over to watch other sports.

So why do they play regular season matches at ANZ? It’s a terrible look for the game, embarrassing

Perth Red

Post Whore
I get sense it’s main purpose was to give the Q’land Govt a major sports event after missing out on hosting gf’s. Why would the nrl do this? I guess it pays to keep your second main heartlands area Govt sweet, maybe they got a better deal for Q’land clubs with stadiums, maybe they got a shed load of money hosting it.
What ever the reasons this is clearly not about crowds or increasing the games reach.

It’s not hurt the game in any way and one has to presume there has been benefits in some ways.

applesauce

Bench
It’s also being used the complete opposite way. The Super League uses it to create buzz in places where RL isn’t the main sport. We’re playing it in the heartland.

I’d get it if it was in Melbourne or Perth but it doesn’t make a lot of sense to me in Brisbane. Likewise, the cost of travel between cities in Australia is prohibitive compared to the UK where you just jump on a train.

It’s an interesting gimmick but I’m genuinely not sure what it’s supposed to achieve. Is it bringing extra fans to the game? Are there more people going to this round? I’d be interested to see how many Brisbane locals have gone to multiple days of the event - I’m guessing it’s a fairly high number. In which case I remain unsure of the purpose of the event.

It might help condition more of the Brisbane Metro TV market to watch other teams besides the Broncos...?

axl rose

Bench
Decent atmosphere at the Tigers Riff game. Would like to see Cleary Tragics/Moses Magic round remain, hopefully the concept wont wear thin like the 9's after a few years.

Only complaint is 5 odd thousand people left after full time and they were not running any shuttle buses until after the Broncos Manly game.