What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lomax getting replaced

rasaint

Juniors
My question is related to what was just stated.

Watching the game I thought that Lomax knocked the ball absolutely backwards to Rava. I was then pleasantly surprised to see Rava produce a genuine reasonable turn of speed and push off the warriors opposite to score.

I waited for the replay and they didn’t show it. McInnes asked for a video check and got arrogantly brushed off by that little ref who been around for quite a while.

My question...did I simply get it all wrong. No one in the media has raised it. McGregor said nothing at the press conference. Can anyone help with the explanation? Absolutely a game changer.

nontime111

Juniors
just one of those 50 50 calls that didnt go our way brother....but if Lomax is let to STAY, as he should...he will get better and better and be an origin Centre next year above Jimmy....for years...everytime he touches the ball, along with Field and Dufter I almost stand out of my seat!! we have 3 of the most EXCITING damn genius guns in YEARS so let them all out there for good!! even when Normie comes back, leave Field at SUPERSUB please!!

gitano

Juniors
teams are SO fearful of Dufter now youll notice a tight wall of defenders EVERYTIME he touches the ball...but he will find the gaps they cant stop the Duffman!!
He will even score every few weeks.
Almost recouping the 3 he lets in. Not for me

Frank Facer

First Grade

Watching the game I thought that Lomax knocked the ball absolutely backwards to Rava. I was then pleasantly surprised to see Rava produce a genuine reasonable turn of speed and push off the warriors opposite to score.

I waited for the replay and they didn’t show it. McInnes asked for a video check and got arrogantly brushed off by that little ref who been around for quite a while.

My question...did I simply get it all wrong. No one in the media has raised it. McGregor said nothing at the press conference. Can anyone help with the explanation? Absolutely a game changer.
The showed a replay on the Foxsports telecast. Watching it live, I thought it went backwards too, but after seeing a replay, the ball did in fact go forward after Lomax touched it. It may have even been a similar case to when the ball is passed backwards from the hands but travels forward due to the momentum of the player passing the ball.

I will add that I thought it was a great play by Lomax to even attempt. He has got a very good football brain and is already a much more complete player than Aitken.

Frank Facer

First Grade
just one of those 50 50 calls that didnt go our way brother....but if Lomax is let to STAY, as he should...he will get better and better and be an origin Centre next year above Jimmy....for years...everytime he touches the ball, along with Field and Dufter I almost stand out of my seat!! we have 3 of the most EXCITING damn genius guns in YEARS so let them all out there for good!! even when Normie comes back, leave Field at SUPERSUB please!!
I agree that Lomax could be playing origin next year.

In one of the FOX camera shots of the bench, it showed Zac holding ice on his chest/sternum.
Maybe there was some injury there..

Also let me say, I am a zac fan.
He should have that position ahead of Ewey.

But it is wrong to suggest that Aitken's defensive reads were the cause of those two or three late tries.
Somehow we got outnumbered on that side.
It wasn't just aitken.
Maybe the Warriors were too smart with some of those direction changes.

But next week I hope Zac is back.

getsmarty

Immortal
In one of the FOX camera shots of the bench, it showed Zac holding ice on his chest/sternum.

But it is wrong to suggest that Aitken's defensive reads were the cause of those two or three late tries.
It wasn't just aitken.

Aitken has always been part of the problem. Our right edge has always leaked tries...
QUESTION...who has been the common factor on the right for the last 4 years...Aitken...Ravalawa was also at fault...in one of the tries Aitken is out of position and Host is in the centres. You see Aitken nonchalantly jogging in the background...ZERO urgency....

Go back a few years when Parra put 4 tries on our right edge..McGregor pulls Aitken off @ Half time and replaces him with Mann and no more tries are scored....( The Next week Aitken is in the Team and Mann dropped ? How does that work ? )

If a player is doing this after 4 years in the Top Grade, then the coaching staff either don't know how to fix it.or it has become habitual poor habit in terms of defense....Ravalawa was also at fault in the try where Lomax needed help...commentators made a big mention of this....

Lomax is streets ahead of Aitken and he hasn't even played a full year in First Grade.

Someone at the club needs to make some tough decisions because I highly doubt we will be able to keep them both. Lomax will have no trouble getting a starting spot elsewhere...I know who I would be keeping...

P.S Aitken has pretty much reached his ceiling being coached by Mary...he would be better off going to a club like Manly and no doubt Hasler would address his deficiencies and he would improve as a player.

Last edited:

18to87

First Grade

It wasn't just aitken.

EDIT: getsmarty just said what I said but better.

Those direction changes seemed planned. I won't dare watch a replay but when Aitken was on, the direction changes came nearly every set. I'm no league expert but whatever is going wrong on the right seems to happen at a 5x higher rate with Aitken compared with Lomax. Poor communication perhaps? Parra targeted the right too once he came on.

Reddragon

Bench
As soon as Aitkin comes on, every coach knows to target his side.
Was at the match, they never looked like scoring on Lafai's side.
The interchange was also a shambles with Graham, Frizz, and Vaughan all on the bench in the crucial phase late in the second half when the Warriors were coming home strong was idiotic.

possm

Coach

It is the job of our captain to insist on a replay. If I was McInnes I would have told the ref that he would raise an official complaint if he did not ask for video adjudication. Does any know if our CEO raised this with the boss of refs?

It seems we are a soft touch with refs these days and we hear nothing of it in the media after the game. Is this because we have softly locked horns with the NRL over the JDB affair?.

possm

Coach
Dufty + Lomax in the side > Anyone else at FB + Aitken
Yes however a good first grade fullback + Lomax at centre > Dufty + Aitken.

Even though Mary said he has the squad he wants, it is clear he does not want the whole squad, only a percentage of the squad.

This is the problem with our current structure which was developed to mitigate the problem caused by Mary not being up to overseeing the recruitment / pathways / retention duties. Millward is probably working to the best of his abilities which is my opinion just is not good enough. But Mary is not happy with the idea of using some of the players provided to him e.g. Pearson, Timm and Robson.

We have a sub-standard squad that is not balanced as far as the salary cap is concerned, leaving the back five as a non competitive unit and the halves being allocated the 3 highest paid members of the squad. There was a time when we had Dugan, Nightingale and Macdonald as our back 3 and now we have the much lessor paid Dufty, Rava and Pereira in their place. We let go 2 young backs who are now playing well at NRL level with other clubs, Herbert and Garrick. We replaced these two up and coming juniors with Rava and Pereira instead of with maybe B Morris and Oaks who were both on the market at the time.

Having said all above, the in my opinion the largest problem we have is to not being able to attract top grade coaching staff mainly because of our coaching/recruitment/pathways/retention structure.

since77

Juniors
I will add that I thought it was a great play by Lomax to even attempt. He has got a very good football brain and is already a much more complete player than Aitken.

That’s the biggest upside to Lomax - he’s actually a very smart player. That’s a rare commodity and something a Dragons player hasn’t had since God knows when. Some great touches in the 2 semis last year and everytime he gets the ball it looks like something might happen. To my eyes he looks to be trying slightly too hard at the moment - I’m presuming because he knows McGregor is sweating on dropping him and bringing Aitken back in. Meanwhile over at Cronulla there’s a coach showing a huge amount of faith in his juniors, including Xerri who was real rocks and diamonds in his first few games before coming good.

George Dragon

Juniors
That’s the biggest upside to Lomax - he’s actually a very smart player. That’s a rare commodity and something a Dragons player hasn’t had since God knows when. Some great touches in the 2 semis last year and everytime he gets the ball it looks like something might happen. To my eyes he looks to be trying slightly too hard at the moment - I’m presuming because he knows McGregor is sweating on dropping him and bringing Aitken back in. Meanwhile over at Cronulla there’s a coach showing a huge amount of faith in his juniors, including Xerri who was real rocks and diamonds in his first few games before coming good.
Smart and committed.
A few examples
Roosters game when Teddy makes the break midfieid Zac takes off in a straight line wide knowing Teddy would come across.
His try on weekend watch him stay alive beside Friz waiting for the ball.
Fields makes the break midfieid and again Zac takes off in straight line.
Fields scores on his side Zac wasn't needed but was there.

LINESPEED

Juniors

Yep
Waterboy’ & Turnstile would’ve been deathriding Zac (and the kid knows it sadly).

You can bet your bottom dollar that Turnstile’ll be back in #3 tomorrow so that he gets his delusional SOO shot

- now that all the centres are falling over & Waterboy would think his protege’s in with a chance

What a farce that a coach compromises the selection criteria for an entire team to promote the fortunes of his 5 yr old love affair.

I remember clearly Zac saying that after his semi performances last year that he was hoping to push for SOO this year

And knowing that, Waterboy deliberately blocked Zac to benefit & give every opportunity to his bogordinary favourite

Wouldn’t it be just hilarious poetic justice if Freddie picked Zac from the blue - as he rates the kid big time

Latest posts