What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Crowd Watch

carcharias

Immortal
Fully agree with this, people get pedandtic about crowd averages being "inflated" yet want to divide the average so the crowd figure for each game is lower than those actually in the seats watching the game. People pay for a day pass, they pay for a ticket to 3 games, count them 3 times if they are in the stand for each game. That's how the event is designed FFS.

Say in the regular season, if a group of 4 leave a game at half time do they knock 2 off the crowd? If I paid $15 each for 3 games then paid $45 for another game have I only attended 2 games?

Well
I pay for a full season
My ticket gets scanned and counted when I attend
This is even though I’ve already paid for a seat.
Why is it not counted if I don’t go?

In regards to magic round
Claiming crowds who clearly show up at the end of the first game is a complete lie IMO.
They weren’t there for the first game.

It’s like reserve grade claiming first grade crowds.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
There are sport CEOs worldwide who actually get paid a significant bonus based on growing Ave attendance..

If todds on that deal.. I bet they don't pay him on a 37k average for this weekend

Valheru

Coach
Fully agree with this, people get pedandtic about crowd averages being "inflated" yet want to divide the average so the crowd figure for each game is lower than those actually in the seats watching the game. People pay for a day pass, they pay for a ticket to 3 games, count them 3 times if they are in the stand for each game. That's how the event is designed FFS.

Say in the regular season, if a group of 4 leave a game at half time do they knock 2 off the crowd? If I paid $15 each for 3 games then paid $45 for another game have I only attended 2 games?

So do we say that the NRLW or any other curtain raiser gets a crowd of whatever the NRL match gets because it is only 1 ticket?

Surely you can see that would be ridiculous.

jim_57

Staff member
So do we say that the NRLW or any other curtain raiser gets a crowd of whatever the NRL match gets because it is only 1 ticket?

There should be (and was) some kind of differentiation, I would say announce the first game's attendance at half time as anyone who rolls in after that is there mainly for the 2nd game. Likewise surely now it couldn't be too hard to have a "swipe out" system to take off people who leave early in the 2nd game.

What I think is ridiculous is that if one game has 30k in the stands and the next has 35k that average crowd could somehow be 17.5k for both.

Take Saturday for instance, the day's attendance averaged over 3 games was something like 13k despite there being far more than that in the ground for the majority of all 3 games.

franklin2323

Immortal

This. 135k is a decent round number. That is the main thing no need to inflate the averages as a result

Perth Red

Post Whore
There should be (and was) some kind of differentiation, I would say announce the first game's attendance at half time as anyone who rolls in after that is there mainly for the 2nd game. Likewise surely now it couldn't be too hard to have a "swipe out" system to take off people who leave early in the 2nd game.

What I think is ridiculous is that if one game has 30k in the stands and the next has 35k that average crowd could somehow be 17.5k for both.

Take Saturday for instance, the day's attendance averaged over 3 games was something like 13k despite there being far more than that in the ground for the majority of all 3 games.

In that case I’m claiming a 38k crowd avg for perth last year, biggest in the nrl lol

We count tickets sold and used, not number of people at each game who’ve paid once to see more than one game. You can argue to do it your way but we never had and it would make crowd attendance stats farcical if we did.

There was 137k fans attending games this round, good result.

Saint Doc

Coach
You had to scan in or out when entering or exiting. So they would have had a defined time point for each game...maybe 30min mark? And they would have known exactly how many people were in the stadium.

Having sat there for 7 games, and having paid $150 ($20 per game), I definitely think I should be counting as a crowd member for 7 games, not 2.3 games

The_Wookie

Bench

In part, its a record consistency thing. Previously double headers were treated with the top figure for the event day being divided by the matches played for the day. This is true for NRL attendance records until last year, when they changed the method to total day attendance = 1 event regardless of how many matches played in the day. The NRL appear to be changing this again this year.

unforgiven

Bench
You had to scan in or out when entering or exiting. So they would have had a defined time point for each game...maybe 30min mark? And they would have known exactly how many people were in the stadium.

Having sat there for 7 games, and having paid $150 ($20 per game), I definitely think I should be counting as a crowd member for 7 games, not 2.3 games
If this is the case than I really believe they should have taken the total of people at the ground at halftime in each game and used that as the crowd figure for each individual game!

Saint Doc

Coach
If this is the case than I really believe they should have taken the total of people at the ground at halftime in each game and used that as the crowd figure for each individual game!

Yes, that’s what I’m saying they did. I don’t know what time point they used as the cut off, but they announced a crowd for every match. But I scanned out a couple of times to go to the precinct/merch tents and then scanned back in.

unforgiven

Bench
Yes, that’s what I’m saying they did. I don’t know what time point they used as the cut off, but they announced a crowd for every match. But I scanned out a couple of times to go to the precinct/merch tents and then scanned back in.
Then the average for the round should use those numbers.

franklin2323

Immortal
Well
I pay for a full season
My ticket gets scanned and counted when I attend
This is even though I’ve already paid for a seat.
Why is it not counted if I don’t go?

In regards to magic round
Claiming crowds who clearly show up at the end of the first game is a complete lie IMO.
They weren’t there for the first game.

It’s like reserve grade claiming first grade crowds.

It was clear people went home between games. Only need to look at the group of Dogs fans that weren't there for the Storm game.

BUT you can only sell a seat once. So dividing the crowd by the amount of games is the best way

unforgiven

Bench
It was clear people went home between games. Only need to look at the group of Dogs fans that weren't there for the Storm game.

BUT you can only sell a seat once. So dividing the crowd by the amount of games is the best way
Except it doesn't give a true indication of how many people actually watched each game.

shaggs

Coach
They can't......reserves aren't played at the same ground 99% of the time.
Before you were born they played all 3 grades in the 1 day. One after another. The jerseys started at 1 in first grade and sequential till the last player of the day.
Reserve grade half was number 20.

franklin2323

Immortal
Except it doesn't give a true indication of how many people actually watched each game.

If there was a way to get that info that would be my preference. People don't scan out when they leave so hard to get.

135k attending the round is good. How is it split is the question

Latest posts