What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rabbitohs rumours, signings, injuries etc

callmack1

Staff member
Shit, this is a huge blow for us!! AJ has been brilliant so far this year damn it!

Rabbitohs fullback Alex Johnston to miss up to a month after knee surgery

Rabbitohs fullback Alex Johnston is set to miss a month of football after having minor knee surgery.

The Australian's Brent Read broke the news on Tuesday, with the NRL Physio saying the procedure was "likely arthroscopic surgery (floating cartilage cleanout/meniscus trim)" given the estimated recovery period.

Johnston has started all nine games in the No.1 jumper this season and has been an underrated part of South Sydney's early dominance.

The 24-year-old played the full 80 minutes in the side's 32-16 win against North Queensland in Magic Round at Suncorp Stadium over the weekend.

Johnston joins centre Braiden Burns (hamstring), young backline utility Adam Doueihi (knee) and fringe first grader Corey Denniss (shoulder) on the sidelines.

Veteran John Sutton could also be added to the casualty ward after leaving the field with a ribs injury versus the Cowboys.

The Rabbitohs have a readymade replacement for Johnston in impressive rookie Corey Allan, a natural fullback who has played on the wing so far in his debut NRL campaign.

Talented Canterbury Cup winger Mawene Hiroti is in line for a call-up onto the flank to cover Allan's expected shift to the custodian's role.

ThingFish

Juniors
Shit, this is a huge blow for us!! AJ has been brilliant so far this year damn it!

Rabbitohs fullback Alex Johnston is set to miss a month of football after having minor knee surgery.

The Australian's Brent Read broke the news on Tuesday, with the NRL Physio saying the procedure was "likely arthroscopic surgery (floating cartilage cleanout/meniscus trim)" given the estimated recovery period.

Johnston has started all nine games in the No.1 jumper this season and has been an underrated part of South Sydney's early dominance.

The 24-year-old played the full 80 minutes in the side's 32-16 win against North Queensland in Magic Round at Suncorp Stadium over the weekend.

Johnston joins centre Braiden Burns (hamstring), young backline utility Adam Doueihi (knee) and fringe first grader Corey Denniss (shoulder) on the sidelines.

Veteran John Sutton could also be added to the casualty ward after leaving the field with a ribs injury versus the Cowboys.

The Rabbitohs have a readymade replacement for Johnston in impressive rookie Corey Allan, a natural fullback who has played on the wing so far in his debut NRL campaign.

Talented Canterbury Cup winger Mawene Hiroti is in line for a call-up onto the flank to cover Allan's expected shift to the custodian's role.
Shame. He was getting better and better each week. But compared to some injuries going around the NRL at the moment a month is good result.

Travitoh

First Grade
Like DKOR, i look forward to seeing Allan in the 1. I haven't been inspired by him on a wing but this is his position and hopefully he plays with intent to prove he is a legitimate option.

callmack1

Staff member
At least AJ's injury is nothing serious and the club it 100% doing the right thing by sorting it now rather then in come back to bite us at the important time of the year.

Travitoh

First Grade
More of a wishlist item than an actual rumour but Sitili Tupouniua from across town looks a player imo and would be a fantastic aquisition to possibly replace Sutton at a decent price.

Mr Spock!

Referee
And further to that, I've never understood the hype around Cleary. Sure, he's a solid player and he could be Cronk like one day but he's probably earning double what an Adam Reynolds or a Chad Townsend is getting and I think both of those players are consistently winning games for their team.
Reynolds has a better running game than Cleary.

And Cleary will never be a Cronk.

Mr Spock!

Referee

Was that because of that shitty surface?

I doubt its worth picking your best team if you're playing the last day on that goat track.

handyman2190

Bench
There is some talk on fox and news that AR is being considered for origin matched with keary, as they have form together, i dont know what everyone thinks, but AR is a little injury prone, id rather he just stick to souths,i hope they dont pick him, we will be decimated , gagai murray cookie and if AR we will have no chance

ThingFish

Juniors
There is some talk on fox and news that AR is being considered for origin matched with keary, as they have form together, i dont know what everyone thinks, but AR is a little injury prone, id rather he just stick to souths,i hope they dont pick him, we will be decimated , gagai murray cookie and if AR we will have no chance
Plus last time AR played SOO it took him 2 seasons to get over his destroyed confidence.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade

I couldn’t care less about NSW but on form AR really should be in the side. Tbh so should Walker.

6. Keary
7. Reynolds
14. Walker

As you say Though our side will be decimated if Fittler picks both of our halves.

Travitoh

First Grade
On AR, he has played 51 regular season games since the start of 2017, Sam 50.

I don't buy into the injury prone/made of glass theories. He's a little guy who gets belted week in week out and is going to pick up injuries as a result of it. Very rarely does he get reoccuring injuries that are any different to anyone else in the NRL.

On his NSW selection, i believe he could become a better player as a result of it. The Blues set up is much different to what it was 4 years ago and if he is picked will have every opportunity to thrive as a result.

callmack1

Staff member
Rumours that GI is not in a good way after retirement. Gee, I hope he's okay. Chin up big fella!!

callmack1

Staff member
Also, Turner out for up to a month with a broken toe. Such bad luck for him! The backline is looking thin now.

Latest posts