What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Foxtel to cut Rugby?

taipan

Referee
Sports fans do not want to watch rucks, goal kicking or midfield bombs or a game where there is almost no line breaks.
The NRL should take note of this because all these things are creeping into RL way too much.

But ,but do not omit,people in Wolvos, eating cucumber sandwiches, having hyphenated surnames, with Christian name Alistair ,they do.

beave

Coach
i pay $58 a month for an IQ4 box, basic, Sport, HD and the Showcase package. Good value imo. $15 a week for 8 games of footy plus all the other fruitery.

ULYSSES

Juniors
Before we get too excited about rugby and other non major sports getting the chop we need to look at the dynamics. Fox is loosing $400+m. these minor sports will save a small percentage. Next time Fox negotiate with NFL and AFL they will look to recoup the big money. We are the big losers potentially.

nrlnrl

First Grade
i pay $58 a month for an IQ4 box, basic, Sport, HD and the Showcase package. Good value imo. $15 a week for 8 games of footy plus all the other fruitery.
Yep, I agree - have the same. I think people who are paying $130 as mentioned should get in touch with Foxtel via Twitter or Facebook to see what sort of deal they can offer. It's easier this way than on the phone.

ULYSSES

Juniors
Nah. RL will continue to bring in the most subscribers as it always has on Fox.

Union is watched by a human centipede who shall remain nameless and friends and family of the players.

If Fox reduce coverage of Rugby, Netball, Motor Sports, baseball and several other minors then the followers of those sports will cancel their membership and then Fox will have less to offer main stream sports.. Their loses will increase and NRL and AFL will be offered less.
Sure we are a few years away from new negotiations but that gives alternative streaming options and others time to compete.

Shark62

Juniors
If Fox reduce coverage of Rugby, Netball, Motor Sports, baseball and several other minors then the followers of those sports will cancel their membership and then Fox will have less to offer main stream sports.. Their loses will increase and NRL and AFL will be offered less.
Sure we are a few years away from new negotiations but that gives alternative streaming options and others time to compete.
Exactly.

typicalfan

Coach
On the other hand doing that will make them more reliant on NRL and fox will do whatever it takes to keep it.

I think that summary is up there with the talk in the off season about the inevitable decline of RL.

Not a chance.

RL and AFL are cultural here. They aren’t going anywhere.

We will simply split the dollars over the new mediums.

T-Boon

Coach
Don't know anyone who gets fox for tennis netball or baseball.

I watch as much baseball as I can on Fox and it is one of the reasons I have it. Strike zone on saturdays is great. But their coverage right now is bad because they are giving all the attention to NBA and ice hockey because it is at the interesting end of their season.

T-Boon

Coach
Before we get too excited about rugby and other non major sports getting the chop we need to look at the dynamics. Fox is loosing $400+m. these minor sports will save a small percentage. Next time Fox negotiate with NFL and AFL they will look to recoup the big money. We are the big losers potentially.

One thing Fox could do is get the NRL to have more ad break opportunities in the game.
Firstly as I have mentioned elsewhere quarter time breaks would bring in a lot of ad revenue for Fox.
They could bring in some captains challenges/time outs.
The code might need to make some changes to keep its big $$.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Most of the big tennis tournaments are on fta and the netball has games on 9 as well so I can't see to many ppl signing up for those two sports.