What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OUR ROSTER IS *&^%

Tiger05

First Grade
I have concerns about cash too and players signed to long contracts. Retention needs to be sorted before looking around at who we can sign. Aloiai, Mikaele and Liddle need to be re-signed asap and Twal extended too if possible. I expect Robbie, Benji and Rowdy to retire and Rochow obviously won't be re-signed. From there, we'd have to think long and hard about whether we should keep Chee-Kam, Gamble, Fonua and Thompson. Of the on contract players, Jennings and Nofo can play wing, Taylor and McQueen are enough depth for second row and when it comes to spine players, unfortunately Gamble is surplus to requirements given the high priced players we already have tied up to long contracts.

I'd keep Chee-Kam and Thompson for sure. I agree with this approach - let's get our retention right and then see who we can get.

Mario chalmers

Juniors
I thik we still have the money set aside for that Souths prop that we changed our mind on.
That money turned into the Salary cap fine I think? We're 300k down for this year and next. Pretty crazy that the fine comes out of the salary cap but third party agreements are unlimited. It makes the salary cap a joke

Tiger05

First Grade
Robbie might stay around next year. I think Liddle getting more game time plus Robbie might work.

Das Hassler

Bench
As much as some may instinctively laugh at this ..re signing Thompson has to be a priority. Every club must have at least one of his type on the roster across a long ..increasingly injury ruled season and he's one of the best of his type. Infinitely adaptable and doesn't need anyone else's motivation to give his always reliable best...at his price tag he's well beyond any criticism IMO

As much as some may instinctively laugh at this ..re signing Thompson has to be a priority. Every club must have at least one of his type on the roster across a long ..increasingly injury ruled season and he's one of the best of his type. Infinitely adaptable and doesn't need anyone else's motivation to give his always reliable best...at his price tag he's well beyond any criticism IMO

I agree 100%. Corey is one of those guys who is first picked in event of an injury or poor performance because you know he is adaptable and safe. In a good side he'd struggle to make first 17 but he's one to feature at least 8-12 games a year in a good side in event of injury etc.

Tiger05

First Grade
I'd pick Thompson every game. Minimal mistakes and does his job plus he should be on minimal dollars plus he can play any of those back 3 positions well.

Sure he isn't the best winger in the comp but you can't have the best players in every position. He is a first grader.

super_coach

First Grade
Madge has done wonders but it is very very hard to beat a top four side when you have a slow backline, no real goal kicker and a team that is very shaky under the highball. Anyway I think the Storm will give us a real good idea how we are travelling. If we can keep in the contest for most of the game I will be happy

Vic Mackey

Referee
Bit of a segueway but hearing Madge talk about Lawrence I think he comes straight back in when ready, which sounds about 3-4 weeks away. Good problem to have fitting him into the team.

Robbie might stay around next year. I think Liddle getting more game time plus Robbie might work.
plus Robbie might work, Tiger 05, you really confuse me with this, you have said in
post # 3 Robbie and Benji should retire. We will better off without them.
post # 20 Farah isn't playing poorly but Liddle is better.

I'm sure you have said that he offers poor service and is a hog, so why say "plus Robbie might work" you seem to change your opinion from game to game,

I'd go with Magpies Forever
Nothing against Farah but I hope this year is his finale. Done us proud but it's time at seasons end. Let WT find another hooker to take his place.

The unknown

Juniors
If Farah was to play next year id only have him on strict conditions he was back up to Liddle (or if we sign someone else), kinda like how Marshall was meant to be but things changed

We all know Farah likes being the top dog though so I think he will retire.

super_coach

First Grade
I have no issue with him coming back if the doctors OK it and he feels up to it.

Hope he comes back better than Josh Mansour who had a similar injury. Mentally it would be a tough ask, but he came back from a mandatory retirement injury when he dislocated his hip so it’s short odds he will make it back

Tigerm

First Grade
If Farah was to play next year id only have him on strict conditions he was back up to Liddle (or if we sign someone else), kinda like how Marshall was meant to be but things changed

We all know Farah likes being the top dog though so I think he will retire.
Sorry, but the fact is, whoever earns/deserves it, should be in the top team, would you really want somebody playing if he wasn't playing as good as the reserve grade bloke? We still need to have the best available playing.

But I do agree with you, I think RF will retire and that Liddle should be given another chance to show his wares, but if Madge thought Liddle was ready I believe he would've started him, but you have to think if he hasn't taken over by the end of year, then his time here is near the end.

Both Farrah and Marshal may have aged, but they still seem pretty quick between the ears. It's an old cliché, but you don't get 10 years experience, overnight.

gordsy

Juniors
I hope if the doctors have any concerns they mothball him. He will already have a arthritic hip. No point having a face that's stuck together with chewing gum as well. There's a lot of living to do after footy.