What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 10 vs Knights...

jeffdragon

Bench
OK, I've had a bit of time to calm down and think about this game.
Surely we win against Knights?
They are due a loss and we are due a win. Dragons in a blowout.
Then the following week we go down to WIN and beat Sharks in an arm wrestle before having the week off with the bye and watch a bit of Origin.
Dragons.....

If only it were that easy.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
OK, I've had a bit of time to calm down and think about this game.
Surely we win against Knights?
They are due a loss and we are due a win. Dragons in a blowout.
Then the following week we go down to WIN and beat Sharks in an arm wrestle before having the week off with the bye and watch a bit of Origin.
Dragons.....

surely we can beat a team after leading 18-6 at half time right? Who the hell knows what to expect from this team sometimes. Half these jokers don't deserve to wear the mighty red V

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Will K.Sims play or not?
Who will he replace in the 17?
Should he even play at all?

These are the burning questions imo.
For me:
Yes I think McGregor will play him.
I think he'll replace Host (though I think it should be Aitken)
No, I don't think he should play at all, I feel anorher few weeks recovery would he more beneficial in the long run and we kbow what happened to Widdop when they brought him back too early.

I also don't think he will be the game breaker we expect, especialky coming back from injury, as I said a couple more weeks and he would be more comfortable and have more impact.

ALSGI

Bench
Yep, Korbin shouldn’t play until the majority of this forum agrees he’s ready. WTF would the coaches and medicos know.

I reckon give him at least a few more weeks off, holiday in the Whitsundays and a spa and beauty package.

FFS, if he’s ready let him rip in !

possm

Coach
As well as screwing up the bench rotation there are comments about not resting injured players.
McIdiot picks players that have not fully recovered from injuries, players will always want to get back on the field, but rushing them back before they are not fully recovered should not happen
Remember JDB last season, he played quite a few games injured and on pain killers, not the way to handle one of our marquee players
It was clear to me at the time that Widdop came back too early.

possm

Coach
Yep, Korbin shouldn’t play until the majority of this forum agrees he’s ready. WTF would the coaches and medicos know.

I reckon give him at least a few more weeks off, holiday in the Whitsundays and a spa and beauty package.

In the case of Mary, very little or nothing at all.

Simon

Juniors

We’re not only all great NRL coaches in waiting but medical experts who don’t even need to see a patient to assess ailments.
Any Lotto experts that can help with next weeks numbers?

avocado

Juniors

Um.

He played 20 minutes in obvious discomfort. Turns out it’s a fracture.

We saw JDB last year playing through excruciating hip pain.

James Graham plays 60 minutes straight.

Couple of years ago Lafai plays the entire season on one leg.

Players playing despite being obviously busted.

Sorry. My confidence in the coach and medicos is shot.

Old Timer

Coach
If Latimore can get selected every week and we can put a back on the bench every week then what does it matter of Korbin gets another couple of weeks off?
Coach has got everything humming along nicely no need to be panicked into bringing back players quickly from injury.

getsmarty

Immortal
gallery3.jpg

DRAGONS

Training gallery: Round 10 v Knights
Thu 16 May 2019, 02:20 PM
The St George Illawarra Dragons worked hard on the training paddock this week as they prepare for an important match against the Newcastle Knights on Sunday.

Tariq Sims charges towards the defence.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/05/16/training-gallery-round-10-v-knights/

getsmarty

Immortal
NRL | Will St George Illawarra's Jack de Belin be cleared to tackle the Newcastle Knights on Sunday?
  • Editors Pick - List
    KNIGHTS chief executive Phil Gardner will not be surprised if Jack de Belin plays against Newcastle in Mudgee on Sunday, should the controversial St George Illawarra forward receive a favourable ruling in the Federal Court on Friday.

r0_0_2964_2345_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

D-DAY: Jack de Belin will find out on Friday if he has been legally cleared to resume his football career.

De Belin, the Dragons and incumbent NSW Origin lock, was stood down by the NRL on the eve of the season after being charged with the aggravated sexual assault of a 19-year-old woman in a Wollongong unit last December.

De Belin has pleaded not guilty and launched legal action against the ARL Commission and NRL in a bid to overturn their "no-fault" stand-down sanction.

Justice Melissa Perry will hand down her judgment at 4pm on Friday, and de Belin hopes her decision will allow him to resume his career.

Gardner, a prominent supporter of the NRL's tough stance against players charged with serious criminal offences, said the Knights would respect Justice Perry's judgment.

"We play within the rules," Gardner told the Newcastle Herald.

r272_337_3590_2524_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

PREPARED: Phil Gardner thinks Jack de Belin may play against Newcastle.

"We might not agree with what the umpire says, but if the umpire says he can come back then there will be no bad feeling from us. That is simply where we sit."

De Belin was not named on Tuesday in the Dragons' official 21-man squad to take on the Knights, which would normally rule him ineligible.

But there have been suggestions St George Illawarra officials will seek an 11th-hour exemption, should Justice Perry rule in de Belin's favour. Whether such permission would be granted is another matter, given that the the ARL Commission is reportedly planning to appeal if the judgement goes against them.

"We're preparing as if he's going to play," Gardner said of de Belin.

"Certainly if it's within the rules that he can play, and he complies, then he can play.

"If he does, we know there will be a lot of energy from Jack, because he'll be taking a lot of frustration onto the field. So we'd prefer not to face him, but if that's what happens, that's what happens."

Gardner reiterated his support for the NRL's decision to stand down a number of players, including de Belin, Manly's Dylan Walker and Penrith's Tyrone May, after being charged with crimes against women.

Walker was cleared this week of allegations that he assaulted his partner.

"Our view is that if you are charged with a criminal offence that carries a jail term of more than 11 years, you should be stood down," Gardner said.

"We think that's in the best interest of the player, as well as the person that brought the charge, the game and the club.

"I think that's probably been accepted by everybody, and probably even St George.

"The issue that de Belin has brought up is the rule charge came up after he offended. So is the rule change effective for him?"

In contrast to Gardner, Knights coach Nathan Brown felt that even if de Belin received a positive judgment, he would be unlikely to play on Sunday.

"We've only prepared for the players they [the Dragons] have named," Brown said.

"I think if you're not named in the 21, you can't play, unless there is a dramatic instance. So we haven't prepared for him. We're not expecting him to play, as he hasn't been named.

r0_184_5184_3099_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

UNCERTAIN: Nathan Brown doubts Jack de Belin will play on Sunday.

"But we can only control what we can control, and whatever the outcome is, it is. We'll just prepare for the 21 that are there."

Brown said de Belin was "a good player" and joked: "It would be ideal if he makes his comeback a week later."

De Belin has won 10 of the 13 games he has played against Newcastle and dominated them in a 30-12 win in Wollongong last year, after which Brown admitted: "Jack de Belin raised the pace of the game with his defence. We struggled to go with them for a period."

https://www.theherald.com.au/story/...n-be-cleared-to-tackle-the-knights-on-sunday/

getsmarty

Immortal
St George Illawarra Dragons' Jacob Host confident for round 10
Local Sport
r0_183_3574_2200_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

RECTIFY: St George Illawarra Dragons' Jacob Host says his side are heading in confident to their round 10 clash against the Newcastle Knights at Glen Willow Stadium on May 19.
It's no surprise the St George Illawarra Dragons will be on a mission to rectify themselves against the Newcastle Knights at Glen Willow on May 19 with a trio of sloppy performances over the past three rounds.

Red and white second rower, Jacob Host says although coming off the back of a 26-18 loss against the New Zealand Warriors, his side is heading into Sunday's match confident.

"Everyone's got a lot of confidence. We've shown signs across the last couple of weeks that we're a very capable football team, we just need to put two halves together," Hosty said.

Everyone's ready to go and to rectify the results that we've had previously and get a win on the board.

In a bid to ensure they rid of the slump, Host says there's a lot of focus during training placed on bringing back their strength - defence.

"We've sort of gone away from putting pressure on the other team in our defence and that's let us down in the halves we haven't performed," the 22-year-old said.

"There's a big focus this week at training on bringing pressure through our defence.

When our defence is working, our attack is going well, and as long as we're sticking to what we've been working on, we'll definitely go a long way.

Last time the Dragons did battle with the Newcastle Knights was in round four of the 2019 season when the red v took a one point win, 13-12.

Host is eager to claim a more "comfortable" win not only for the sake of the team, but for the fans as well.

"It's better on the heart strings if we get a bigger win than one point," Host said.

"We've had a couple of those this year where it's been really tight, I guess our fans don't like it too much because they would like to see a big win.

"We definitely will be going out to get as much of a comfortable win as possible."

After experiencing the atmosphere from this year's Charity Shield clash against the South Sydney Rabbitohs, Host expectations for the crowd are set high.

Last year, 8,962 people turned out for the NRL round 11 clash between the Dragons and Canberra Raiders.

"Last time we were here it was an unreal crowd, even just for a trial match, there were people everywhere, the stadium was fantastic and the grounds are always in great condition so we're excited to get out there," he said.

The town of Mudgee is very much a rugby league place and we're excited to get there, we get a lot of love from the people.

"Everyone sort of agrees a lot of football players come from country towns these days and it's good to get back to the country side of things and take it to areas where it might be a bit more difficult to get to games in the city because of the distance to travel."

Gates will open at 11.30am ahead of the NRL Touch Premiership that will kick off at 12pm, while the Dragons will take on the Newcastle Knights at 2pm, Glen Willow Stadium on May 19.

https://www.mudgeeguardian.com.au/s...host-confident-dragons-will-get-the-job-done/

St George Illawarra Dragons' Jacob Host confident for round 10
Local Sport
r0_183_3574_2200_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

RECTIFY: St George Illawarra Dragons' Jacob Host says his side are heading in confident to their round 10 clash against the Newcastle Knights at Glen Willow Stadium on May 19.
It's no surprise the St George Illawarra Dragons will be on a mission to rectify themselves against the Newcastle Knights at Glen Willow on May 19 with a trio of sloppy performances over the past three rounds.

Red and white second rower, Jacob Host says although coming off the back of a 26-18 loss against the New Zealand Warriors, his side is heading into Sunday's match confident.

"Everyone's got a lot of confidence. We've shown signs across the last couple of weeks that we're a very capable football team, we just need to put two halves together," Hosty said.

Everyone's ready to go and to rectify the results that we've had previously and get a win on the board.

In a bid to ensure they rid of the slump, Host says there's a lot of focus during training placed on bringing back their strength - defence.

"We've sort of gone away from putting pressure on the other team in our defence and that's let us down in the halves we haven't performed," the 22-year-old said.

"There's a big focus this week at training on bringing pressure through our defence.

When our defence is working, our attack is going well, and as long as we're sticking to what we've been working on, we'll definitely go a long way.

Last time the Dragons did battle with the Newcastle Knights was in round four of the 2019 season when the red v took a one point win, 13-12.

Host is eager to claim a more "comfortable" win not only for the sake of the team, but for the fans as well.

"It's better on the heart strings if we get a bigger win than one point," Host said.

"We've had a couple of those this year where it's been really tight, I guess our fans don't like it too much because they would like to see a big win.

"We definitely will be going out to get as much of a comfortable win as possible."

After experiencing the atmosphere from this year's Charity Shield clash against the South Sydney Rabbitohs, Host expectations for the crowd are set high.

Last year, 8,962 people turned out for the NRL round 11 clash between the Dragons and Canberra Raiders.

"Last time we were here it was an unreal crowd, even just for a trial match, there were people everywhere, the stadium was fantastic and the grounds are always in great condition so we're excited to get out there," he said.

The town of Mudgee is very much a rugby league place and we're excited to get there, we get a lot of love from the people.

"Everyone sort of agrees a lot of football players come from country towns these days and it's good to get back to the country side of things and take it to areas where it might be a bit more difficult to get to games in the city because of the distance to travel."

Gates will open at 11.30am ahead of the NRL Touch Premiership that will kick off at 12pm, while the Dragons will take on the Newcastle Knights at 2pm, Glen Willow Stadium on May 19.

https://www.mudgeeguardian.com.au/s...host-confident-dragons-will-get-the-job-done/
I feel so much more confident now that I have read that...

getsmarty

Immortal
Stat Attack: Round 10 v Knights
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Fri 17 May 2019, 08:46 AM

The St George Illawarra Dragons come up against a red hot Newcastle Knights in their crucial Round 10 clash.

The Dragons have lost three in a row and have slipped outside of the top eight, while the Knights have turned their season around winning three in a row and are a chance to win their fourth match consecutively for the first time since 2015.

After nine rounds of competition, the Knights have only scored two more points than the Dragons this season with 162, but the noticeable difference comes in defence, with the Dragons conceding 26 more points than their opposition.

Sitting side by side on the ladder in 9th and 10th place, the Dragons can be motivated by their strong record over the Hunter based team, winning eight of the past 10 matches and 27 of 38 overall.

Danger man

The infinite potential of Knights fullback, Kalyn Ponga, has been on show recently scoring in four straight matches for the Knights.

After switching back to his preferred position at the back, Ponga has been on fire and played a significant role in the Knights season revival with; five line-break assists, 37 tackle breaks, seven line-breaks, four tries and five try-assists. The Dragons will need to suppress Ponga come Sunday night.

Key matchups

Graham v Klemmer

English enforcer James Graham comes up against NSW and Australian enforcer David Klemmer in a battle of the giants that is sure to entertain.

Klemmer has been unstoppable since joining the Knights this season, averaging 176.9 running metres and ranking third best in the entire league for total running distance. Defensively the rampaging forward is stronger than ever, making 330 tackles at an impressive 96.9% efficiency.

Graham always looks to be continually working while he’s out on the field, and it’s backed up in his stats. Graham played 66 minutes last week and ran a lung-busting 16 times and made 41 tackles.

Field v Watson

After biding his time and getting a spot back in the first grade team, Field comes up against a similar player in Newcastle Knights five-eighth Connor Watson.

Older than Field by less than a year, Watson has played 60 matches in the NRL to Field’s seven appearances. But Field proved last week he can hold his own in the top-flight crossing for the first try of his young career.

In Round 9 last week, Field ran 15 times for an impressive 159 metres on top of one try and one line-break. While Watson, ran six times for 43 metres and failed to gain any attacking stats in the Knights victory.

Despite their similar age and vastly different experience, the contest between the two young live-wires in the halves will be one to keep an eye on.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/05/17/stat-attack-round-10-v-knights/

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
True to form, mary doesn't change a winning team, but then he doesn't change a losing team either.

Go figure...

Ok, if he won't make changes to send a message to the playing group, then he at least must bare some of the burden and fix his use of the interchange.

If KSims is fit then he should replace aitken imo...

Will McIdiot remember Korbin’s on the bench though?

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Mary should give himself an uppercut, wanker.
If he got his bench rotations right we'd be travelling a lot better.
It won't improve either because he'll keep stuffing it up and putting more pressure on Graham and Vaughan, they'll be rooted by round 16 and then watch us really go downhill.

Huh? Saints aren’t in the downhill already?

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
I am shocked! Mary has made no changes to our team. As if he was ever going to. No need to make changes seeing we have won three games on the trot.....oh sorry Mary and I must be confused. We both must have failed our HIA test.

You’re shocked?

I’m not.

We’ve put up with this shit since 2014. At least Price served a long apprenticeship before deemed inadequate.