What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Norway v Greece

adamkungl

Immortal
NORWAY https://www.facebook.com/RLNOR/
v
GREECE https://www.facebook.com/rlgreece/

London New River Stadium Saturday May 18
1pm local 10pm Sydney

Hosts London Skolars and RLEF should be posting links for a livestream shortly.

Squads named here
https://www.rlef.eu.com/articles/1708/greece-and-norway-name-squads-for-world-cup-qualifier

GREECE 20-MAN SQUAD

Aris Dardamanis, Grigoris Koutsibogiorgos, Ioannis Dimakas, Ioannis Rousoglou, Thodoris Nianiakas (Aris Eagles), Iasonas Kourkakis, Ioannis Nake, Eugenios Malai (Attica Rhinos), Jordan Meads (Beerwah Bulldogs), Stefanos Bastas (Doncaster RLFC), Robert Tuliatu (London Skolars), Sebastian Sell (Mittagong Lions), Dimos Kartsonakis, Georgios Tsiakos, Kostas Katsidonis, Michail Bosmos, Nikos Bosmos, Pantelis Tsattalios (Rhodes Knights), Peter Mamouzelos (South Sydney), Terry Constantinou (Sunbury Tigers)

NORWAY 20-MAN SQUAD

Brett Harvey (Bardufoss Badgers), Casey Diggs, Bendik Kalvik, Sam Mullins (Bodø Barbarians), Harald Mikalsen (Flekkefjord Tigers), Sonny Mellor, Joshua Skidmore-Hornby, Lucas Zuniga (Lillestrøm Lions), Nils Kristian Holte, Kristoffer Milligan, Simon Viljoen (Oslo Capitals), Kevin Båtnes, Chris Stalsberg (Porsgrunn Pirates), Kristoffer Borsheim, Nathan Cummins, Ezra McIntyre, Fredrik Nordtun (Stavanger Storm), Callan Sinclair (Shellharbour Sharks), Stephen Stepanek Mwikaria (Trondheim Rugby Klubb), Kristian Nordin-Skipnes (Woden Valley Rams)

Greece has named 4 heritage players, Norway just 1*. Greece also has a couple of League One players while Norway's squad has no professional level experience.
Greece goes into the game with an obvious on-paper advantage and a strong preparation via an Athens v Rest-of-Greece "Origin" game. 2018 saw wins over Ukraine and Malta.
Norway progressed to this playoff with a surprise win over Germany after dropping a game to Czechia. Their preparation included a trip to Ireland last month with a 44-14 loss against Ireland Clubs XIII.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018–19_Rugby_League_European_Championship_C

*Unfortunate sidenote, one of Norway's 2 heritage players is Callan Sinclair, co-accused of rape alongside Jack De Belin. He has been forced to surrender his passport by police and will not travel.
https://www.southcoastregister.com....ed-in-norway-league-squad-despite-travel-ban/

The Partisan

Hopefully those Greeks and Norwegians new to the code enjoy the experience. Looks on paper that the Greek boys will get up but here's to a competitive battle.

adamkungl

Immortal
This is a huge opportunity for the winner.

In the other final group, new-comer Spain has to beat Ireland or Italy to qualify. A very tough ask, especially if heritage selections come into play.

However the winner of Greece/Norway faces a less daunting hurdle - knock off Scotland or Russia and they're on their way.

For either country to play in a World Cup would be a big boost for the game at home.

Pommy

Coach
This is a huge opportunity for the winner.

In the other final group, new-comer Spain has to beat Ireland or Italy to qualify. A very tough ask, especially if heritage selections come into play.

However the winner of Greece/Norway faces a less daunting hurdle - knock off Scotland or Russia and they're on their way.

For either country to play in a World Cup would be a big boost for the game at home.

Seems Scotland are a shoe in for the World Cup.

adamkungl

Immortal
Gee, if Greece got in over Scotland that would be tops I reckon.

I expect Scotland will win both games and it will come down to Greece v Russia for the final spot.

Even with their limited clubs they have a pretty decent top-down set up with Clubs XIII, Students, 19s and 16s under the national team.
They can also call on Super League and NRL players... tough to see them losing a game in this group.

Since the surprise draw with NZ and hitting rock bottom in 2017 their club scene is slowly reviving and they're rebuilding the national team. I wish them well. Imo with the right people driving it, the game can do well in Scotland.

langpark

First Grade
I expect Scotland will win both games and it will come down to Greece v Russia for the final spot.
Agreed. I can't see either team troubling Scotland, who should have two comfortable wins in this group. Russia v Greece will be very interesting. 9th of November, would be starting to get pretty cold in Russia, therefore increasing the home-ground advantage factor. That will be balanced out by some good heritage players from Greece though. I cannot wait for all six (including the Ireland, Italy Spain group) matches!

Pommy

Coach
Agreed. I can't see either team troubling Scotland, who should have two comfortable wins in this group. Russia v Greece will be very interesting. 9th of November, would be starting to get pretty cold in Russia, therefore increasing the home-ground advantage factor. That will be balanced out by some good heritage players from Greece though. I cannot wait for all six (including the Ireland, Italy Spain group) matches!

Any idea where Russia will be playing that game? We were in Moscow and St Petersburg in November two years ago and there was a lot of snow about already.

Latest posts