What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 ratings

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
agree. they seem to have much more in the way of spend/footprint across all FTA as well. back end of the season post origin with saturday night games on 9 should help a lot, hopefully.
When they have Thursday nights (Rounds 1-5 or thereabouts, plus a couple mid-season) they have one more game than NRL, otherwise it's the same, three per round.

The difference comes with state-by-state broadcast agreements - as I understand Adelaide Perth and Brisbane get all their games simulcast from Fox onto 7mate?

Starkers

Bench
ok right, so as a national broadcast, the NRL puts out one product. the AFL puts out a product targeted to their markets. I think you are better off putting one product out to be honest.

The_Wookie

Bench
When they have Thursday nights (Rounds 1-5 or thereabouts, plus a couple mid-season) they have one more game than NRL, otherwise it's the same, three per round.

The difference comes with state-by-state broadcast agreements - as I understand Adelaide Perth and Brisbane get all their games simulcast from Fox onto 7mate?

Sydney and Brisbane get all their games simulcast, Adelaide and Perth now get 3 games a year each delayed, but the rest are simulcast. In all 4 cases its a mix of 7 and 7mate now.

The_Wookie

Bench
FYI - Top Fox ratings - NRL with 17 of the top 20 this season so far.

xNuX4ES.png

Shark62

Juniors

xNuX4ES.png
Afl have 20 games under 100000. A lot of that is to do with multiple games on one day with competing fta but it’s still significant. Our lowest rating game is 149000. The afl had a total of 40 games with less than that.

The_Wookie

Bench
Afl have 20 games under 100000. A lot of that is to do with multiple games on one day with competing fta but it’s still significant. Our lowest rating game is 149000. The afl had a total of 40 games with less than that.

A fair chunk of that is preseason games. Note as well that

green numbers = matches on Foxleague
red numbers = matches on Foxfooty
blue numbers = AFl clash matches shown on Fox elsewhere.

Timmah

Staff member

xNuX4ES.png
Given JLT features in this list for AFL, are you able to include the Fox-broadcast pre-season NRL matches?

NRL CS 2-Mar Sat South Sydney St George Illawarra 111,000
(I believe Warriors v Tigers also aired on 502 that day, but doesn't appear Top 20, so rated <54K)
NRL WCC 18-Feb Sydney Roosters Wigan Warriors 33,000
NRL AS 15-Feb Fri Indigenous All Stars Maori All Stars 84,000

The_Wookie

Bench
Given JLT features in this list for AFL, are you able to include the Fox-broadcast pre-season NRL matches?

NRL CS 2-Mar Sat South Sydney St George Illawarra 111,000
(I believe Warriors v Tigers also aired on 502 that day, but doesn't appear Top 20, so rated <54K)
NRL WCC 18-Feb Sydney Roosters Wigan Warriors 33,000
NRL AS 15-Feb Fri Indigenous All Stars Maori All Stars 84,000

yeah can do. Need to update the preseason for the NRL anyway, i had it on a sheet somewhere and I cant find it now. Cheers.

Timmah

Staff member
yeah can do. Need to update the preseason for the NRL anyway, i had it on a sheet somewhere and I cant find it now. Cheers.
All good. Those are just what I could find on TV Tonight, I'm sure MWaus tweeted the NZ-WT figure back in Feb

Shark62

Juniors
A fair chunk of that is preseason games. Note as well that

green numbers = matches on Foxleague
red numbers = matches on Foxfooty
blue numbers = AFl clash matches shown on Fox elsewhere.
Thanks for clarifying that Wook. I was surprised so it all makes sense now

Starkers

Bench

NRL is outpacing on regionals on a notional value, which is positive. and NRL is outpacing on an average broadcast which begs the questions:

1. if nine added one or two games, what would it add eyeball-wise?
2. would that affect foxtel?

but there needs to be an adjustment in the total tv audience averages. you can't have total FTA and total Foxtel average for the NRL being higher than the AFL, but when the averages are combined the AFL is higher.

there has to be a weighting on the broadcast numbers comparatively.

The_Wookie

Bench
NRL ON NINE - MACCA’S THURSDAY NIGHT FOOTY

ROUND 10 – STORM vs TIGERS

1.807 million people tuned into Nine’s Round 10 Macca’s Thursday Night Footy coverage, LIVE on Nine and 9Gem. (National cume reach)
  • 1.807 million cume reach represents a 4% increase in reach on Nine compared to Round 10 Thursday Night Footy year-on-year
National peak audience: 1.116 million
  • Nine national peak audience: 801,000 (5 City: 473,000 / Regional: 328,000)
  • Fox League national peak audience: 315,000

National average audience: 846,000
  • Nine national average audience: 605,000 (5 City: 371,000 / Regional: 234,000)
  • Fox League national average audience: 241,000

MACCA’S GOLDEN POINT

THURSDAY, MAY 16

Macca’s Golden Point
achieved an average audience in NSW and QLD of 215,000 (Syd + Bris metro: 135,000 / NSW + QLD regional: 80,000)

Source: Oz Tam+ Regional Tam, Overnight Data, 1 min cume reach, Macca’s Thursday Night Footy, includes pre-match, 16th May 2019, 5 City Metro + Combined Agg Markets, Nine Network + Nine Network Content Affiliates.
Source: Macca’s Golden Point data based on Oztam (Metro + Regional).

taipan

Referee
But our dear Rupert, at the time of the last AFL Tv deal, stated "we have always preferred AFL the national game".
Well Rupes old fella, it appears the fumbling mob and their ratings, don't appear to be keen on you, compared to the NRL ratings figures.
Can we just say Rupes, karma is a real bitch, and you comments have come back to bite you in the a*se.

Shark62

Juniors
But our dear Rupert, at the time of the last AFL Tv deal, stated "we have always preferred AFL the national game".
Well Rupes old fella, it appears the fumbling mob and their ratings, don't appear to be keen on you, compared to the NRL ratings figures.
Can we just say Rupes, karma is a real bitch, and you comments have come back to bite you in the a*se.
Is he reading this?

Latest posts