What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Cleary a dud?

Bodhi

Juniors
Maybe not, been found out in the qld cup the last couple of years

Winners in 2015, 12th in 2016, 8th in 2017 and 7th last year. Coming 8th at this stage this year. Not a great record by any means but nothing to be sneezed at either. What I like about their brand of footy is it’s entertaining to watch and let’s the players showcase their full repertoire of skills. Will take that any day compared to the rubbish we are dishing up week after week.

Bob

Juniors
I still think that with some luck we can get back on track!
So do I, a lot of people are calling Ivan a dud but only 3 years ago “SuperCoach” Trent Robinson finished 15th with nearly a similar squad to his 2015 side who were minor premiers, Ivan’s had 10 rounds this time around, he doesn’t have HIS off field staff just had to take who Gus signed, just for the record knowles and Catterick were on the Gold Coast the previous year and there biggest problem was a lack of fitness, I’m prepared to give him some time once he has his own people around him

So do I, a lot of people are calling Ivan a dud but only 3 years ago “SuperCoach” Trent Robinson finished 15th with nearly a similar squad to his 2015 side who were minor premiers, Ivan’s had 10 rounds this time around, he doesn’t have HIS off field staff just had to take who Gus signed, just for the record knowles and Catterick were on the Gold Coast the previous year and there biggest problem was a lack of fitness, I’m prepared to give him some time once he has his own people around him

Man, just look at these excuses.

It might make sense if Cleary had a good coaching record over his career, but he doesn’t.

Not only is his win record a poor 45%, but in his 13 seasons as an NRL coach he’s made the top four only twice.

How many years does Ivan Cleary get to prove himself as an NRL coach? 14, 15, 16?!

Abacus

Juniors
I admire your optimism but your use of the 2016 Roosters as a comparison is misguided. Roosters lost RTS, Jennings and Maloney going into 2016 then had Pearce and Cordner both miss half the season.

We've got near enough our best 17 on the park but running around like we've never played the game before. Yes, fitness is an issue but you seem to be suggesting the coach was unable to have input to the players' preseason fitness regime? That would have to be a first for a head coach.

Bob

Juniors
Trent Robinson career win %: 64.7
Ivan Cleary career win %: 46.4

Yeah, about that.
Yeah what about it? You want to write the team off for the next 5 years that’s your choice but I’ve been a supporter since 1967 and I’ve seen a lot worse than this

Sorry my mistake, Cleary is shit, team is shit, club is shit is that better

You can be realistic & still love the club. Cleary is a very average coach, his history proves it.

Fans have a right to be angry, the board ignored Gould’s idea of signing Bennett and went with an inferior option who happens to be friends with the chairman.

Fans should be furious

Panfa

Juniors
Cleary is a dud with a capital D his game plan is terrible im still seeing players kicking on tackle 2 and 3 when we have good field position.It took a dean whare short ball to martin for our 1st try so what the hell are our halves doing if either get picked for origin nsw are gone absolutely clueless both of them.

Bob

Juniors
You can be realistic & still love the club. Cleary is a very average coach, his history proves it.

Fans have a right to be angry, the board ignored Gould’s idea of signing Bennett and went with an inferior option who happens to be friends with the chairman.

Fans should be furious
I am realistic, is the year going like I hoped, no, do I like loosing, f**k no, if it was my job would I have hired Ivan, definitely not but like it or not he is with us for 5 years and me getting the shits about it isn’t going to do me any good so rather than carry on about it I hope Ivan can get us back to the 2014 side that knocked the rooster out of the finals