What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 10 vs. Sydney Roosters Discussion

Big Pete

Referee
NRL 2019 - Round 10
Brisbane Broncos v Sydney Roosters
Suncorp Stadium, Milton (TICKETS)
Friday 17 May 2019

TL-BRI19.png

1. Darius Boyd
2. Corey Oates
3. Kotoni Staggs
4. Gehamat Shibasaki
5. Jamayne Isaako
6. Anthony Milford
7. Tom Dearden
8. Matthew Lodge
9. Jake Turpin
10. Payne Haas
11. Alex Glenn
12. Matt Gillett
13. Thomas Flegler

Interchange
14. Patty Carrigan
15. David Fifita
16. Tevita Pangai
17. Joe Ofahengaue

Reserves

18. James Segeyaro
19. James Roberts
20. Jaydn Su'a
21. Sean O'Sullivan

TL-SYD19.png

1. James Tedesco
2. Daniel Tupou
3. Latrell Mitchell
4. Joseph Manu
5. Matt Ikuvalu
6. Luke Keary
7. Cooper Cronk
8. Jared Waerea-Hargreaves
9. Victor Radley
10. Siosiua Taukeiaho
11. Mitchell Aubusson
12. Angus Crichton
13. Isaac Liu

Interchange
14. Nat Butcher
15. Zane Tetevano
16. Lindsay Collins
17. Sitili Tupouniua

Reserves
18. Poasa Faamausili
19. Sam Verrills
20. Brock Lamb
21. Ryan Hall​

Big Pete

Referee
Coach Anthony Seibold has confirmed that James Segeyaro will be making his club debut off the bench as the Broncos gear up for the reigning premiers. The Broncos have signed Segeyaro to help alleviate the loss of Andrew McCullough and to help create pressure around the ruck. Segeyaro was the most damaging ball-runner five years ago and while he's had his moments hasn't quite made the same impact even in the Canterbury Cup. Brisbane are desperate however and since McCullough has been such a permanent fixture at the club, the change in style could get the best out of other players.

No confirmation on who will be dropping out, but you'd have to think on the basis of past decisions, Carrigan will draw the short straw. Personally I would have him in line for that 13 jersey which has proven to be a difficult position to fill. The loss of McGuire was always going to be felt by the club, but I would have presumed they would have found somebody by now.

Jamayne Isaako returns after a slow start that many are calling second-year syndrome. The signs were there last year that Isaako was always going to struggle positionally but he just hasn't learned from them and he's become an easy target. His worst game of the season was against the Roosters so he's going to be heavily targeted on Friday night.

His centre partner Gehamat Shibasaki will also be in the firing line coming up against Latrell Mitchell. Shibasaki has done little to impress the fans, but the club has a high opinion of him. Gehamat has come through the grades at the club from 16s up so this is his opportunity at the top grade. It's early days but there's plenty of question marks over him. Best case scenario, I see him as a team player who makes a few strong carries inside his own half and helps the team coming out of trouble.

So far whenever the Broncos have come up against the top teams they've been blown off the park. It was 16-0 Melbourne early in the second half, 22-0 against the Roosters at half-time and 24-0 against the Rabbitohs half-time so it hasn't been good viewing. Whether this trend will continue or not is the big question and I'm curious to see what playing at home will do for the Broncos.

DeeJ

Bench
I would've liked to have been Roberts take the field, even though his attitude might now merit it. I have a feeling that he will aim up against Latrell and there is an Origin jumper on the line for him.

Nerd

Bench
Great game. Jake Turpin looked impressive again and our attack has come alive with him at dummy half. The timing of the injection of Segeyro was perfect by Siebold. Our forwards were out to hit in defense tonight instead of the usual arm grabbing and didn't it make a difference. Shibasaki did a great job on Latrell Mitchell and looks to be a much better centre than a winger. Haas is just a beast at the moment and was the reason we were better than the Roosters forwards.

DeeJ

Bench
Great game and effort from the team. Turpin is a breath of fresh air, and I can't wait till Dearden gets himself more involved. I'm glad to see offloading was back, especially from Pangai. I also enjoyed Segeyaro's cameo alot and nice to see he gave another kicking option.

The only weak point was Boyd, of course. I know his cowardice won us the game at the end, but it really sums up what he has become. Trying to take shortcuts and win the game through the referees rather than with his body. Pathetic and the only weak link in the team now (except maybe Isaako who at least tries).

Also would like to mention how good of a defender Gillett is, especially on the edge. His one on one defence is amazing, even if he is in a bad position initially somehow comes up dominant.

Last edited:

renouf

Juniors
I thought Boyd was alright, the little no.9 is making a huge difference to the entire side.. makes you wonder if Nikorima would have worked out better if we had Turpin in there. Roosters were f'ing lucky to get out of it towards the end of the 1st half, haven't seen a team so dominated before.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
A quality performance after an average one against manly. Thanks for your service Andrew had a good run mate but the fat lady is into her second verse

renouf

Juniors
A quality performance after an average one against manly. Thanks for your service Andrew had a good run mate but the fat lady is into her second verse

Lets hope so, can't see how he gets back into the side but dumber things have happened..

gUt

Coach
My favourite moment was the Dearden/Turpin tackle on Tedesco (I think) to force a repeat set.

Same thing that's bugged me about the Broncos still happened last night: promising sets and movements stopped by an inept final pass. Usually thrown by Boyd.

Latest posts