What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Ivan Cleary the most over rated coach in the NRL?

Is Ivan Cleary the most over rated coach in the NRL?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

age.s

First Grade
The wheels were falling off at Penrith last year. How many times did they come back from horror starts to claim victory? You can’t keep doing that. Even in the semi vs sharks they were 18-0 down at one point.

You can keep doing it if you're considerably fitter than the opposition. Griffin wasn't a great coach, but it's clear he took no shit at training and rode them hard. The result was the team was in impeccable physical condition. They were amazing in the final 20 as a result. That knowledge kept these young guys in the game mentally too. There were problems, but the wheels were well and truly on and they were damn close to a prelim despite being coached by a hack.

That discipline is gone now. They're all smiles at training but they're fat, error prone and undisciplined. They're fading out of games and starting every bit as poorly. The already existing problems have not improved. The young squad has now lost every ounce of confidence and looks to be comfortable showing next to zero fight.

If we don't get the spoon I'll be amazed. The dogs at least play with some heart.

Front-Rower

First Grade
You can keep doing it if you're considerably fitter than the opposition. Griffin wasn't a great coach, but it's clear he took no shit at training and rode them hard. The result was the team was in impeccable physical condition. They were amazing in the final 20 as a result. That knowledge kept these young guys in the game mentally too. There were problems, but the wheels were well and truly on and they were damn close to a prelim despite being coached by a hack.

That discipline is gone now. They're all smiles at training but they're fat, error prone and undisciplined. They're fading out of games and starting every bit as poorly. The already existing problems have not improved. The young squad has now lost every ounce of confidence and looks to be comfortable showing next to zero fight.

If we don't get the spoon I'll be amazed. The dogs at least play with some heart.

No, you can’t keep doing it. It’s unrealistic and extremely lucky.

TheFrog

Coach
The wheels were falling off at Penrith last year. How many times did they come back from horror starts to claim victory?
Heaps. They were the fittest team in the comp. They really had the Sharks beaten too from 18 down but could not ice it, and reverted to stupid again when the game was there to be won. Points scored in the last 20 are worth just as much as those in the first 20. This fitness has been allowed to slip. If ever a side were begging to get run down it was the Warriors last night.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
If he was still the Warriors coach, which he should have been past 2011 and should have been again in place of Kearney, this thread wouldn't exist. He was an outstanding coach at the Warriors who picked up an absolute dickshow, and made finals in every season he was here apart from one year we would've been if not for a salary cap penalty imposed before he took over, and the death of Sonny Fai in 09.

However, it was a dumb idea to coach his son's side. And karma is a real thing, which is now biting him in the arse after bending the Tigers over a barrel - and seemingly lying about it the whole way through.

super_coach

First Grade
Ivan did a good job at the Tigers for the first 6 months, than the cracks started to appear, tactically I don’t rate him but he seems to get on well with his rosters although that may not be the case now.

From a tigers point of view it’s all karma, what he did was unforgivable, but we got lucky and picked up a coach who is streets ahead in the coaching department. Going to be very interesting how long Penrith give Ivan and his 5 million dollar contract before they try and poach a real coach

AJB1102

First Grade
Who the hell rates him?

Dave was just doing a favour for a mate.

Only time you get a mate to do an important job is if you can't afford a professional or your mate is a professional and doing it on the cheap. Ivan doesn't fit either of those.

Check out last nights press conference, didn't look like a bloke who'd lost 8/10. More like a bloke who knows him and his kid are safe and comfy for a while yet.

Matiunz

Juniors
Always thought he was a tad over rated. He did well to build the Warriors to be relatively consistent but never felt like he could take them to that next level they needed. Of course the Warriors ballsed up his replacement so some look back with rose tinted glasses a bit

Life's Good

Coach
His stats make grim reading given the damage done to reputations in getting him out of the Tigers & into Penrith. I used to think he could coach but the Warriors GF appearance was in 2011 & his record since is ordinary.
I’ve said elsewhere it just shows that a lack of coaching quality isn’t an inhibitor for desperate clubs looking for a quick fix & they’ll sign someone in the hope it comes good. Looks like Cleary is headed that way this year.

Last edited:

M2D2

Bench
I called the wheels coming of the bus last year that you cant keep going back to that well that Hook implemented.
When the ONLY thing you had going for you was stamina from hooks methods for the final 20.
Once that goes, you revert back to the roster that you have, Panthers have too many idiots who are now a year older and now have less depth cause of too many departures and no arrivals.
Alot of Panthers fans want to blame the coach, or the CEO for getting Ivan rather than address your roster is bare and the well ran dry and they were foolish to believe the hype.

gerg

Juniors
Maybe the actual team need to pull their fingers out.

None of the players look like they actually give a shit. They certainly don't look a happy side either. I know that comes from losing but you see Maloney yelling at the team every week and nobody responding (with actions).

Iafeta

Referee
I genuinely feel he got a dud decision from Gus first time around. His career has been shagged by poor decisions. The Warriors letting him take up an offer elsewhere so he could get a longer deal because they wanted Bluey McClennan was a corker. He then gets bent over by Gus, and then drops the Tigers after he makes a song and dance about being on the bus. All for his boy. I’ve seen people managing their kids and it often doesn’t end well.

Penrose summed his career at the Warriors up well. He did a really good job there.

I do believe in karma and I think Ivan is copping it for how he drilled the Tigers without lube after they had offered him a lifeline.

Latest posts