What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 10 vs Knights...

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
OK, I've had a bit of time to calm down and think about this game.
Surely we win against Knights?
They are due a loss and we are due a win. Dragons in a blowout.
Then the following week we go down to WIN and beat Sharks in an arm wrestle before having the week off with the bye and watch a bit of Origin.
Dragons.....

With a good coach, Newcastle are on the up. It will easily qualify for the semis this year. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for the Dragons.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Has anyone noticed that the team has flown to Mudgee on Pelican Airlines?

It’s ironic given the “coach”.

In other news, I have a sneaky suspicion that Kerr will replace one of the bench forwards (perhaps Latimore) as he flew up with the squad.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
If Knights make the eight and dragons miss out I will concede.

I accept.

In an attempted show of sportsmanship, should both teams qualify, what do you say about getting each other something modest such Tim-Tams/tea?

I don’t mind a shot of English Tea Shop’s Peppermint tea.

getsmarty

Immortal
St George Illawarra Dragons vs Newcastle Knights NRL Preview and Team News - Knights target fourth straight win
Andrew Hendrie in League 17 May 2019
Subscribers-20.png

• St George Illawarra Dragons meet Newcastle Knights in Round 10 of the NRL on Sunday
  • Dragons have won the last three meetings between the teams
Dragons face Knights on Sunday (PA Images)
Newcastle Knights go in search of their fourth win on the bounce when they take on St. George Illawarra Dragons in NRL Round 10 action in Mudgee on Sunday.

The Knights haven’t won four games in a row since 2015 - can they snap that four-year sequence when they square off against the Dragons on Sunday afternoon?

It was a tough start to the season as the Knights buckled under the pressure of expectation, but Nathan Brown’s side have turned a corner in recent weeks, winning their last three matches against the Eels, Warriors and Bulldogs to rise into ninth spot on the ladder.

Granted, those wins haven’t been over competition heavyweights, but they could be the victories Newcastle need in order to find that next level.

With Kalyn Ponga shifting back to fullback and Mitchell Pearce starting to find some form in the halves, Newcastle are starting to look a lot more dangerous. Brown has named the same 17 that eased past the Bulldogs last week.

Meanwhile, the Dragons will be trying to snap a three-game losing run after faltering against the Roosters, Eels and Warriors.

The Dragons looked okay in their ANZAC Day defeat to reigning premiers the Roosters, but they’ve slipped up against the Eels and Dragons and are now below Newcastle on the ladder in 10th.

Despite finding wins hard to come by, Paul McGregor has refused to switch up his team, selecting the same side that went down 26-18 to the Warriors in Magic Round.

St. George Illawarra have won their last three encounters with the Knights, but I think Newcastle are the favourites in this one. The Dragons are missing Corey Norman and lacking some spark right now, while the Knights are confident and flowing along nicely at the moment. It’s time for Newcastle to win four matches in a row for the first time in four years.

Stats

• Dragons have won their last three meetings
  • Dragons won 13-12 back in Round 4
  • Dragons also won eight of their last nine encounters

Teams

Dragons: 1. Matthew Dufty 2. Jordan Pereira 3. Zac Lomax 4. Timoteo Lafai 5. Mikaele Ravalawa 6. Jai Field 7. Ben Hunt 8. James Graham 9. Cameron McInnes 10. Paul Vaughan 11. Tyson Frizell 12. Tariq Sims 13. Blake Lawrie 14. Jeremy Latimore 15. Euan Aitken 16. Jacob Host 17. Luciano Leilua 18. Mitchell Allgood 19. Jonus Pearson 20. Josh Kerr 21. Korbin Sims

Knights: 1. Kalyn Ponga 2. Edrick Lee 3. Hymel Hunt 4. Jesse Ramien 5. Shaun Kenny-Dowall 6. Connor Watson 7. Mitchell Pearce 8. David Klemmer 9. Danny Levi 10. Daniel Saifiti 11. Lachlan Fitzgibbon 12. Mitchell Barnett 13. Tim Glasby 14. Kurt Mann 15. Herman Ese’ese 16. James Gavet 17. Sione Mata’utia 18. Josh King 19. Pasami Saulo 20. Jamie Buhrer 21. Mason Lino

http://www.rippa.com/category/rugby...e-knights-nrl-preview-and-team-news-20190517/

getsmarty

Immortal
Halves duel in Mudgee to have huge impact on rest of season
Author
Steve Renouf NRL.com Columnist
Timestamp
Fri 17 May 2019, 12:01 PM
renoufsteve-head.png

Two of the competition's most maligned halfbacks over the past decade go head-to-head in a clash that could dictate how both clubs' seasons pan out.

Newcastle and St George Illawarra have endured different journeys after nine rounds but find themselves in a similar position on the ladder on eight points.

It's funny how the game can work like that. On paper it tells us only a 28 points differential splits them but the other part tells us one side has won three in a row and the other is looking to snap a three-game losing streak.

I'm going to go with the bold statement now that one of these sides has already convinced me they won't challenge the top clubs and reach the finals - St George Illawarra.

It might seem harsh because with all the off-field distractions they've had, the Dragons have done fairly well thus far. But Mary would be disappointed with the last few weeks and I think they're a better side than what they've delivered.

Sadly, we just see this too much from them. They can go in and out of games and that's where they're at. It must be hard for a coach to pinpoint why that happens on a consistent basis.

Dragons v Knights - Round 10

In the long-term I don't think the Dragons will be in the mix this year. I look at the teams above them and they're a bit more dominant – sides like the Storm and Roosters.

They're just that sort of team. I don't think they're premiership contenders. They've got the firepower and a good pack of forwards but they'll lose a few to Origin and that's going to be an important period for them and how they handle it.

Last year they were on the top of the ladder leading into the Origin series but this time around they've had no such luck. That might affect them; it's not a great run in and it's not a great position to be in coming in to this period of the year.

Which brings me to Ben Hunt.

Now, I don't want to be too harsh on him because he gets smacked around a fair bit in the media and a lot of it is over the top. On his day, Ben can be a match-winner but it's rocks and diamonds with him.

He simply has to stand up more in big games. I was always heavy on him at the Broncos with his kicking game. I thought last year he went well but it's a mental thing for him.

At crucial times during games this year he's making errors. He's done that a few times they've been particularly reliant on him with the playmakers they've had out.

Late call to be made on Korbin Sims

Some players have just got an error in them and at 29 it's probably a bit late for Ben to be able to change it now.

Coming into the Origin series especially, where he'll play for the Maroons, he's simply got to get that stuff out of his game.

On the flip-side and despite similar positions on the ladder, I see key differences for the Knights to kick on regardless of which way the result swings on Sunday.

The start to the season wasn't great for them. You look at the team they had on paper and everyone expected big things. To their credit they've turned it around in the last few weeks and I put it down to Kalyn Ponga's switch to fullback.

Mary blasts Dragons over second-half fadeouts

That's his position, you want him coming onto the ball. There's now talk Latrell Mitchell might go into six at the Roosters but I just think he can't do that.

You want to have these young men a bit wider with a bit of space to move. You don't want them getting the ball flat-footed and being starved of space.

The Knights also finally have a forward pack that can match it with other sides. If they hold their middle they've got a good backline.

They've got a tough period coming up after the Dragons in Mudgee with clashes against the Roosters, Storm and Rabbitohs. After that it gets easier for them.

This match would be one they'd target to win especially when you look at what's ahead of them. They'll be looking at this as a block and Nathan Brown will be saying we really need this one.

Which brings me to the next halfback in Mitchell Pearce. He's really stood up in the last three weeks after a slow start to the year.

I remember being at Suncorp Stadium and the crowd would be giving it to Pearce during Origin.

The value of versatility

As an ex-player you often can forget you were once on a rugby league field getting those same jibes from people in a crowd.

I've always rated him. I think he's a player everyone has been hard on. When he's on song it's hard to stop him. The difference between his best and worst games isn't much.

Queensland didn't mind sticking it to him for years but he never turned away from competing and always takes a challenge front on.

If you look at the role of a halfback, that's what you want in your team. Whoever can step up on Sunday will go a long way to whether or not their respective side reaches the finals.

Yes, it's only round 10, but neither team will want to drop this one with bigger challenges ahead.

The views in this article do not necessarily express the opinions of the NRL, ARLC, NRL clubs or state associations.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/05/17/halves-duel-in-mudgee-to-have-huge-impact-on-rest-of-season/

redVinme

Juniors
Here I was thinking he got dropped on form... Though if he is out for a while and with Norman and Sims back we could be looking up. Surely if he wants to stick a back on the bench this would be a better bench

Field
Kerr
Sims
Luch

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Has anyone noticed that the team has flown to Mudgee on Pelican Airlines?

It’s ironic given the “coach”.

In other news, I have a sneaky suspicion that Kerr will replace one of the bench forwards (perhaps Latimore) as he flew up with the squad.

Fly Wizz Air........... for those that p!ss themselves flying.
hDF5B864C

Last edited: