What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Comic Book Film Thread *** SPOILERS ***

Frederick

Staff member
I really tried to get into the CW series, but Arrow was a hard slog. Then there's all the crossovers between arrow, the flash, Supergirl, legends of tomorrow...it's all too much for someone who's already time poor and behind on enough series as it is (I'm only just catching up on game of thrones now)

Tommy Smith

Referee
Finally saw Endgame. And it was absolutely amazing!

The chills - and I mean the serious spine tingling chills - when the Avengers assembled behind Cap was awe inspiring.

Loved it. Loved it. Loved it!

The 5 year time gap did justice to the pain and suffering of Thanos wiping out half the universe. It made his success purposeful; whereas had they 'ho hum' reversed it in a flash then it would have rendered IW meaningless. So again, massive kudos for the pacing and timeline.

Also I can't believe anyone would get caught up debating and picking apart the whole time travel angle. They literally made about a dozen jokes about how convoluted time travel is in a way of suggesting to the audience "just STFU and enjoy the movie".

The movie seriously worked for me on every level.

I even loved the "girl power" Avengers assemble scene in the big battle because, well, I'm not an insecure male f**king loser.

They also closed out Iron Man, Captain America and Natasha's stories beautifully. They didn't take the cheap option.

10/10 movie. Will watch again.

natheel

Coach
I really tried to get into the CW series, but Arrow was a hard slog. Then there's all the crossovers between arrow, the flash, Supergirl, legends of tomorrow...it's all too much for someone who's already time poor and behind on enough series as it is (I'm only just catching up on game of thrones now)

I actually watch The Flash over Arrow. Just got into it quicker but this season has been a struggle but still hanging in there.

I watch the cross overs especially if the story line is linked to Flash at all

natheel

Coach
Initially I hated it... I kinda still do..

But I’ve learnt over the years that the initial reaction to these types of casting decisions are often the worst reactions.

Affleck being a case in point... I wasn’t a big fan of his Batman but that was more about Snyder’s vision than Affleck himself.

The problem I see with Pattinson is I’m not sure about whether I physically buy him as Batman.

Admittedly I haven’t seen much of him lately... but from his earlier work you’d think if any of those twilight kids ended up as Batman it would be the Lautner kid.

He might need to hit the gym abit.

The physical thing may not be an issue IF they run with a younger Batman learning etc then by the 3rd film (if it’s a trilogy) he’s the buff Batman we are used too.

Out of the 2 actors rumoured I’d prefer Pattison. Nicholas Hoult I really don’t see as Batman OR Bruce. At least Pattinson looks like he could pull off a good Bruce Wayne imo.

Matua

Bench
Well it's on The CW, and its target audience is young adult women.

So it would seem to be a perfect fit for them. I don't see what the issue is. Was anyone here really going to watch a Batwoman television series?
I think the CW moved past that target audience a bit with the Superhero shows.

Funnily enough I just discovered yesterday that one of my mates who lives in Vancouver was involved in making the Batwoman pilot. I'll pass on Gamebreakers constructive criticism. :D

Springs09

Juniors
Finally saw Endgame. And it was absolutely amazing!

The chills - and I mean the serious spine tingling chills - when the Avengers assembled behind Cap was awe inspiring.

Loved it. Loved it. Loved it!

The 5 year time gap did justice to the pain and suffering of Thanos wiping out half the universe. It made his success purposeful; whereas had they 'ho hum' reversed it in a flash then it would have rendered IW meaningless. So again, massive kudos for the pacing and timeline.

Also I can't believe anyone would get caught up debating and picking apart the whole time travel angle. They literally made about a dozen jokes about how convoluted time travel is in a way of suggesting to the audience "just STFU and enjoy the movie".

The movie seriously worked for me on every level.

I even loved the "girl power" Avengers assemble scene in the big battle because, well, I'm not an insecure male f**king loser.

They also closed out Iron Man, Captain America and Natasha's stories beautifully. They didn't take the cheap option.

10/10 movie. Will watch again.

Lol ‘my movie has a really dumb plot but it jokes about it so it’s okay you’ll watch it f**k you. Rated PG-13’

If Game of Thrones makes some self-aware jokes about how underdeveloped season 8 was on Monday no one has a right to complain anymore guys.

BennyV

Referee
Finally saw Endgame. f**king loved it. Most oft thoughts/opinions/issues have been mentioned on here, bar 2:

1) I really liked the ‘girl power’ moment, was a nice touch. But it was f**king pointless because Captain Marvel could have laid out Thanos’ entire army on her own. If the gauntlet had been picked up by, say, Wanda or Okoye (nod to IW scene with Black Widdow), who was then surrounded by the girl squad (including Captain Marvel) it would have been more effective. Minor issue in the scheme of things.

2) Loved the end of caps storyline and the passing of the torch, was a great way to see him off without killing him. But Cap is a f**king super soldier created in a lab. Falcon is a dude with a wicked suit who can use it. I hope that, if he’s going to properly fill CA’s shield that they build it up properly.

shiznit

Coach
The physical thing may not be an issue IF they run with a younger Batman learning etc then by the 3rd film (if it’s a trilogy) he’s the buff Batman we are used too.

Out of the 2 actors rumoured I’d prefer Pattison. Nicholas Hoult I really don’t see as Batman OR Bruce. At least Pattinson looks like he could pull off a good Bruce Wayne imo.
If I had a shortlist... I don’t think either of those 2 would be one it...

If I’m looking for a couple of guys who aren’t quite a-listers but can pull off the physicality of Batman and the suave sophistication of Bruce Wayne id look at Liam Hemsworth... He may be too imposing as he’s pretty tall. But he has a ruggedness and an edge which I think would go good...

But the guy in my opinion i think could absolutely kill it as Batman... Theo James... that dude from Divergent. Not a huge name but I think he could pull off both sides.

images

That’s Bruce Wayne imo... :joy::joy:

Edit: and wow... if you google ‘Theo James Batman’ and look at the images you’ll see he’s already familiar with the character...

images

:joy::joy:

Last edited:

shiznit

Coach
I think Idris Elba will make a good Batman and Bruce Wayne
Idris Elba would be a badass Batman... but I didn’t consider him because I just don’t think they will cast a black Batman.

He’s also abit old I think too... I think they are looking for someone younger.

I’d love to see him as James Bond... he’s the only one of the current candidates who actually looks like they could kill someone with their bare hands.

Springs09

Juniors
Finally saw Endgame. f**king loved it. Most oft thoughts/opinions/issues have been mentioned on here, bar 2:

1) I really liked the ‘girl power’ moment, was a nice touch. But it was f**king pointless because Captain Marvel could have laid out Thanos’ entire army on her own. If the gauntlet had been picked up by, say, Wanda or Okoye (nod to IW scene with Black Widdow), who was then surrounded by the girl squad (including Captain Marvel) it would have been more effective. Minor issue in the scheme of things.

Just on that, Scarlet Witch is the most powerful of the current MCU characters in the comics and should be in the films too, and she just might be as she’s the only one iirc to actually put the beat down on Thanos in Endgame. That moment seems forgotten both by fans and by the film because she barely appears after that.

I can’t remember if there was a moment that stopped her from being there in the final fight with Stark co.?

BennyV

Referee
Just on that, Scarlet Witch is the most powerful of the current MCU characters in the comics and should be in the films too, and she just might be as she’s the only one iirc to actually put the beat down on Thanos in Endgame. That moment seems forgotten both by fans and by the film because she barely appears after that.

I can’t remember if there was a moment that stopped her from being there in the final fight with Stark co.?
Yeah she did open up a can of whoopass on him, but I think he knocked her back eventually?

I thought that Captain Marvel and Thor, along with Adam Warlock, were the most powerful Marvel heroes.

Springs09

Juniors
Yeah she did open up a can of whoopass on him, but I think he knocked her back eventually?

I thought that Captain Marvel and Thor, along with Adam Warlock, were the most powerful Marvel heroes.

Of the current MCU characters, other than things like Dormammu. Wanda can rewrite reality in the comics. No way is Captain Marvel stronger.

Thanos only beat her by ordering a rocket strike which killed a lot of his own army.

BennyV

Referee
Of the current MCU characters, other than things like Dormammu. Wanda can rewrite reality in the comics. No way is Captain Marvel stronger.

Thanos only beat her by ordering a rocket strike which killed a lot of his own army.
Fair enough - that doesn’t shine through on the screen, although it’s obvious that she’s more powerful than her screentime warrants.

I didn’t grow up on the comics in depth, did get a bit into the ‘bigger’ stories (x-men, Spider-Man, Iron Man, etc). But dived into a lot of the backstory since I’ve started loving the MCU. And I can’t think of any indication that SW is amongst the most powerful heroes in the MCU, let alone across Marvel. Usually Thor, Captain Marvel, Dr Strange, Hulk (even though he was super lame in Endgame) are the top MCU heroes (with Jean Grey, Silver Surfer, etc) get listed as the top heroes.

But I wouldn’t be surprised if the comics tell a slightly different story!

bileduct

Coach
Jean Grey >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> any MCU hero.

Springs09

Juniors
Fair enough - that doesn’t shine through on the screen, although it’s obvious that she’s more powerful than her screentime warrants.

I didn’t grow up on the comics in depth, did get a bit into the ‘bigger’ stories (x-men, Spider-Man, Iron Man, etc). But dived into a lot of the backstory since I’ve started loving the MCU. And I can’t think of any indication that SW is amongst the most powerful heroes in the MCU, let alone across Marvel. Usually Thor, Captain Marvel, Dr Strange, Hulk (even though he was super lame in Endgame) are the top MCU heroes (with Jean Grey, Silver Surfer, etc) get listed as the top heroes.

But I wouldn’t be surprised if the comics tell a slightly different story!

She's been nerfed in the movies, as has been other characters such as Drax, Thanos, Dr Strange and especially Hulk.

Like I said, she had reality warping powers in the comics. She de-powered the majority of mutants just by willing it. I'm not sure but I've heard her powers have been retconned as has her origin to bring her in line with the movie version.

She isn't the strongest marvel character in the comics, but she is of the current MCU heroes. Jean Grey is easily more powerful than any MCU hero. Professor X as well but with Jean you're looking at characters like Beyonder and the Living Tribunal to find someone more powerful.

Zoidberg

First Grade
Remember in X-men the last stand, Jean was said to be a level 5 mutant whereas Magneto was only level 4. I have no idea what the f**k that means, but there you go.

Timbo

Staff member

Exactly, the lengths they went to to say 'look, we know how ridiculous this is but just chill OK we're making a movie here'.

It's also not the first time Marvel has winked this hard at the audience, one of my favourite lines in the whole MCU comes from Age of Ultron where Hawkeye is talking to Scalett Witch:

"The city is flying and we're fighting an army of robots. And I have a bow and arrow. Nothing makes sense."

To me, that's the MCU in a nutshell. None of it makes sense, but they're entertaining movies so just look the other way from time to time.

Springs09

Juniors
Remember in X-men the last stand, Jean was said to be a level 5 mutant whereas Magneto was only level 4. I have no idea what the f**k that means, but there you go.

In the comics they are called omega-level mutants and there are only a few of them. Jean Grey is one as is Iceman and Legion.

Exactly, the lengths they went to to say 'look, we know how ridiculous this is but just chill OK we're making a movie here'.

It's also not the first time Marvel has winked this hard at the audience, one of my favourite lines in the whole MCU comes from Age of Ultron where Hawkeye is talking to Scalett Witch:

"The city is flying and we're fighting an army of robots. And I have a bow and arrow. Nothing makes sense."

To me, that's the MCU in a nutshell. None of it makes sense, but they're entertaining movies so just look the other way from time to time.

Except they didn't do that. They had several scenes explaining how their version of time travel works and why other versions are bullshit and what happens when you take infinity stones out of time and so on. If all they wanted was 'nah this is silly just enjoy the movie!' then cut all the exposition out and save 20 minutes of the movie.

Also people love to claim that excuse for movies they like but don't accept it for movies they don't like. It's like saying 'why are you looking for plot in a Transformers film? Just enjoy the giant CGI robot battles' or 'it's a world with dragons & zombies you idiots just sit back and enjoy it the creators know it makes no sense'.