What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Well done refs!!! (after game one)

Cockosh

Juniors
For a team who is so blatantly and obviously cheating the cap to the point that we have a far superior roster to anyone else, we sure do need the help of the refs to win a lot.
And they mask it so well by awarding us the least amount of penalties of any team so far this year. So clever. And raiders have been awarded the most. It really is magic round.

firechild

First Grade
I believe the voluntary tackle is an urban myth and has never existed. I certainly dont recall seeing a penalty blown for it in the last 20 years!
Rugby league has been played for over 100 years. You not remembering it in the last 20 years (the NRL has been around longer than that) isn't evidence of it never existing.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I believe the voluntary tackle is an urban myth and has never existed. I certainly dont recall seeing a penalty blown for it in the last 20 years!
The last one I remember was in 2001, when Motu Tony was penalised for a voluntary tackle in the dying seconds of the Warriors win over the Northern Eagles at Mt Smart.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Refs are going well this round- 3 games, no real howlers. Thought there were two harsh six again calls in the Warriors panthers game where the kick bounced off a defender who didn’t really play at it but it was one each way so it evened out and the calls were consistent.

firechild

First Grade
Refs are going well this round- 3 games, no real howlers. Thought there were two harsh six again calls in the Warriors panthers game where the kick bounced off a defender who didn’t really play at it but it was one each way so it evened out and the calls were consistent.
The no call when Keary's legs were taken out late in the Roosters v Donkeys game had a fair impact given the Broncos went on to score shortly after.

no name

Coach
Cummins handling of last night’s Raiders V Souths game was terrible.
He penalised Surgess three times in two minutes, which was part of a run where Souths gave away 5 penalties in 8 minutes. During that spell there was not even a hint of a warning that there might be a binning.
After what we’ve seen over the past 18 months, that was totally unacceptable.
I wonder if we’ll hear anything about it come Monday?

Saxon

Bench
Scummings has got to go. 5 penalties against Sam in the first half and he wasn't even warned. Plus he backchated every decision and Scummins let him get away with it.

A (well deserved) sin bin in the first half, and the whole game changes.

South's MoM undoubtedly wore yellow.

BadnMean

Juniors
It is interesting especially given Raider's Klokstad was binned for 2 penalties in a row in a similar situation a few weeks ago, but if you're a star like Burgess you just do it as often as you like & refs lack the gumption to apply the NRL's stated positions/decrees on things like repeated infractions in the red zone.

forby

Juniors
The refs go into games with preconceptions about who give away penalties and different teams style of play. They referee accordingly. If you are a popular top team you get the calls. If you are not or are struggling nothing goes your way. Often it appears there are 2 sets of rules applied in the one game. Refs are given too much leeway to interpret rules as they want, often differently in the one game.

Saxon

Bench
And Ashley Klown does his damnedest to give the game to the Sharks. 10 penalties in a row - some for identical things that the Sharks got away with.
Back that up with the first halves of the Bunnies/Raiders and Tigers/Storm games, and I think we've seen the worst round of refereeing for a long time.

MilkShark

First Grade
And Ashley Klown does his damnedest to give the game to the Sharks. 10 penalties in a row - some for identical things that the Sharks got away with.
Back that up with the first halves of the Bunnies/Raiders and Tigers/Storm games, and I think we've seen the worst round of refereeing for a long time.
Just evening up the first half bro

mave

Coach
Just evening up the first half bro

Explain to me why the Sharkies have to play against 15 men in the 1st half, then Manly have to play against 15 in the 2nd.

Cant the players sort it out without the square-ups, inconsistencies, and blatantly incorrect calls.

I'm bringing up this one as it is fresh in my mind..... Brad Parker ball-and-all tackles Fifita 1 on 1. Fifita bounces up and plays the ball on top of Parker and the ball bounces awayt.....penalty Sharks.

Sht penalty, no reward for a dominant 1v 1 tackle, Fifita could have not moved foward and played the ball properly, a million things could have happened, other than a sharks penalty.

MilkShark

First Grade
Explain to me why the Sharkies have to play against 15 men in the 1st half, then Manly have to play against 15 in the 2nd.

Cant the players sort it out without the square-ups, inconsistencies, and blatantly incorrect calls.

I'm bringing up this one as it is fresh in my mind..... Brad Parker ball-and-all tackles Fifita 1 on 1. Fifita bounces up and plays the ball on top of Parker and the ball bounces awayt.....penalty Sharks.

Sht penalty, no reward for a dominant 1v 1 tackle, Fifita could have not moved foward and played the ball properly, a million things could have happened, other than a sharks penalty.
There should never be square ups, but there has been for years now. The refs know at all times who is winning the penalty count, it’s incredibly corrupt.

In regards to the Fifita play the ball, I didn’t see it or don’t remember it. But all I can offer you as an explanation is that the defender must remove themselves from the ruck, if they are in the way they are penalised.

Fifita is one of the biggest guys in the comp, it’s not unusual for these big guys to be the dominant person in the tackle due to their size which a lot of the time leaves defenders laying in the ruck.

If you were Fifita and you could play the ball on top of someone and get yourself the penalty, would you?

MilkShark

First Grade
Sharks 5 Manly 11. Yep, real even.

Anyway, you are missing the point. Which is - for the hard of thinking - that refs are woefully inconsistent and are potentially deciding games.
Considering the refs first half got you guys ahead and a player not sent for 10 in the bin, I don’t see what your problem is.

mave

Coach
If you were Fifita and you could play the ball on top of someone and get yourself the penalty, would you?

Yep.
As a fan, I expect the refs, with all their cheat sheets, training, etc, to not fall for the obvious.

Latest posts