What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 11 vs Sharks

getsmarty

Immortal
r11_preview8_dragons-v-sharks.jpg

MATCH PREVIEW

Dragons v Sharks: Round 11 preview
Author
NRL.com
Timestamp
Tue 21 May 2019, 09:01 AM

A month ago the Dragons were on a four-game winning streak and confident of toppling the high-flying Roosters on Anzac Day.

Not only did they lose that battle, they dropped the next three games as well.

Injuries haven't helped, but then injuries haven't been kind to Manly, Cronulla and a few other teams that have managed to keep competing and performing consistently at a fairly high level.

But the Sharks let standards slip and didn't aim up against Manly last week, so they will be eager to bounce back against a side down on confidence.

Match: Dragons v Sharks

Round 11 - Sunday 26th May

4:05pm

Home Team

Dragons

12th Position

Away Team

Sharks

9th Position

Venue: WIN Stadium

Match broadcasters:

• Nine Network
  • Foxtel
  • LIVE PASS
  • KAYO
Buy Tickets
The Rundown
Key match-up
Once again the heat is on Ben Hunt to prove he can carry a team when the chips are down. Hunt has a tough duel on his hands against the underrated Chad Townsend, while Tyson Frizell would've worked out that Briton Nikora doesn't fear the NRL's more experienced backrowers and needs a big game with the Origin series around the corner.

For the Dragons to win
It's make-or-break time for the Dragons. A fifth straight loss will virtually bury their top-eight chances, while a win could be a springboard to a strong mid-season run. They need to get back to basics defensively and get some more aggression into their game, while some of the younger players have to step up, especially when the going gets tough.

For the Sharks to win
Off their game defensively last week, the Sharks can't allow the desperate Dragons to get away to a good start. They need to take control from the get-go and get them into a Sharks-style contest. Josh Dugan has to produce the goods more often and cut down his mistakes, while Townsend will be out to make amends after a relatively quiet game against the Sea Eagles.

Brett Kimmorley says
The Dragons are coming off a massive loss in Mudgee and have slipped down the pecking order from a few weeks ago when I thought they could win the premiership. It's a big day for Ben Hunt: he can build pressure with a good kicking game, and when he runs the ball he's at his best. For the Sharks I thought Jayden Brailey was great for them last week, but they probably just made too many errors against Manly. I expect them to respond this week. Sharks by 6.

Stat Attack
Andrew Fifita's 35 off-loads leads the NRL, while Josh Dugan has committed a league-high 21 errors. Dragons hooker Cameron McInnes is the top tackler (486), while the Sharks lead all teams in line break assists (32).

And another thing ...
The Dragons swept the Sharks in two meetings last year. After winning their round two clash 20-16, the Dragons ran riot in a 40-20 thrashing in round six. Paul McGregor will settle for a one-point victory on Sunday in this highly-anticipated local derby.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/05/21/dragons-v-sharks-round-11-preview/

getsmarty

Immortal
mcinnesc_2nh_7008.jpg

GAME DAY

Game day information: Indigenous Round
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Tue 21 May 2019, 02:08 PM

St George Illawarra Dragons v Cronulla Sharks
Sunday, May 26|
WIN Stadium, Wollongong
Indigenous Round

Broadcast – Channel Nine and Fox League

Match day sponsor – South Village

Gates open: 1:30pm
Dragons v Newtown – Canterbury Cup: 1:50pm
Dragons v Sharks – NRL: 4pm

SOCIAL MEDIA HASHTAGS

#redv #NRLDragonsSharks

TICKETING

For tickets visit Ticketmaster or call 13 61 00

GAME DAY MAP

stadium-map-funday.jpg

You can also view the Game day map here.

GENERAL INFORMATION

WIN Stadium – A-Z guide

WIN Stadium – Conditions of entry

MEMBERSHIP

Red V memberships with access to this game:

• Platinum
  • Full season
  • Heartland
  • Wollongong upgrade
  • Wollongong Pass
  • Flexi-five, and ;
  • Flexi-three.
Have a question about membership or want to sign up? Visit the Red V marquees outside Gate A or inside Gate C. If you need to contact the membership team prior to game day: call 1300 DRAGON, email redv@dragons.com.au or visit www.marchwithus.com.au

Don't have access or require extra tickets? Red V members can receive a 20 per cent discount on pre-purchased tickets! Check your Member card or emails for further details.

Haven't got your member card? Visit us on game day at the Gate A Red V box office window to collect a paper ticket.

Red V Members receive a five per cent discount on food and beverages purchased at the game upon presentation of their Member card. External vendors and alcohol excluded from this offer.

Find your name on the 2019 member wall on display inside the western concourse.

MERCHANDISE

Grab the latest 2019 merchandise from the below locations on game day:

TRANSPORT INFORMATION

For transport information, please click here.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/05/21/game-day-information-indigenous-round/

Gareth67

First Grade
I truly wish to be positive about this game - our local derby , but after surrendering a couple of halftime leads recently and last weekends debacle against the Knights I cannot see any shining light that will turn our season around against this ever so solid Shark outfit . In fact I believe that this could turn ugly , a worse score line then our last start .

Now having said what was really in my heart I can boldly predict a Dragon win by 4 . :innocent:

Mark D

Juniors
Well done

Solid team just announced
Agree... like the look of this squad especially the bench a hell of a lot more... right we’ve all had a crappy few weeks but chins up lads saints by 14 over the sharks!!

getsmarty

Immortal
simsk_rc1_9383-2.jpg

TEAM LISTS

Brought to you by

TripADeal NRL team announcement: Round 11 v Sharks
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Tue 21 May 2019, 04:00 PM

St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor has named his mandatory 21-man squad ahead of the Dragons' Round 11 clash against the Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks at WIN Stadium, Wollongong on Sunday, May 26.

Zac Lomax has been named at fullback with Euan Aitken returning to the centres as Reece Robson prepares for his first NRL game of the year from the interchange.

Jonus Pearson will become St George Illawarra player #222 after he was named on the wing for his first NRL game at the club. Korbin Sims (arm) is also set to return following a seven-week layoff.

Matt Dufty, Mikaele Ravalawa and Josh Kerr have all been named in the reserves following the Dragons' last start loss to the Newcastle Knights.

The Dragons and Sharks will once again play for the Monty Porter Cup in 2019.

NRL squad for Round 11 v Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks –

1. Zac Lomax – sponsored by Tosich Group
2. Jordan Pereira – sponsored by SMAI
3. Euan Aitken – sponsored by University of Wollongong
4. Tim Lafai – sponsored by Kingsgrove Sports Centre
5. Jonus Pearson – sponsored by Dynamic Projects
6. Jai Field – sponsored by Illawarra Mercury/St George & Sutherland Shire Leader
7. Ben Hunt – sponsored by Paul's Customs and Forwarding Solutions
8. James Graham (c) – sponsored by EFEX
9. Cameron McInnes (c) – sponsored by Floormania
10. Paul Vaughan – sponsored by My Muscle Chef
11. Tyson Frizell (c) – sponsored by Val Morgan
12. Tariq Sims – sponsored by Stonemasons & Landscapers (since 1970)
13. Blake Lawrie – sponsored by Wollongong Jetski

Interchange:
14. Luciano Leilua – sponsored by Domus Lighting
15. Jacob Host – sponsored by Dincel Construction System
16. Reece Robson – sponsored by Professionals Padstow
17. Korbin Sims– sponsored by Stonemasons & Landscapers (since 1970)
18. Mitch Allgood
19. Josh Kerr
20. Mikaele Ravalawa
21. Matt Dufty

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/05/21/tripadeal-nrl-team-announcement-round-11-v-sharks/

Vinnie

Juniors
Like the Squad ... 2 concerns though NOT a fan of Lomax at F/Back, he's not confident in the air and i feel he will be peppered all game and this allows Aitken back in the centre's, surely we have better ???

Vinnie

Juniors
Talking about wingers and centres .... wouldn't (on current form) Herbet,and Garrick been a lot better than Ravalawa and Lafai ?? But yet we let them all go of course we do ??

Bill Dragon

Juniors
Like the Squad ... 2 concerns though NOT a fan of Lomax at F/Back, he's not confident in the air and i feel he will be peppered all game and this allows Aitken back in the centre's, surely we have better ???
I think lomax will do well, at the very least he'll get our sets off to a better start and help the forwards out.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Really like the look of this team, it has more balance imo.

At last there is no back on the bench, finally the penny drops.

Now, in saying all that there has to be some warning that we need to accept:

1. Lomax first game at fullback, he will need time to adjust from playing everywhere from wing, centre and in the forwards.But his bigger body and stronger running will benefit our forwards more. expect him to be peppered with high balls. I hope he's been practicing this.
2. Pearson has very good pace and if in the clear would be put away the glasses, but, he is the leader in CC for errors made. His running back wont have the same impact of Rava but definitely smarter and quicker.
3. K. Sims will be tentative imo, needs to ease into the game, coming from the bench will allow that.

The bench looks so much better now.
K. Sims and Leilua as props looks good to me. Leilua has been a revelation in the middle since moving there imo, add the aggression of K. Sims and we hopefully wont lose momentum.
I still say Hosty is playing injured but he hasn't been dropped so maybe confidence down, but having go forward props will benefit his running game more.
Now that Robbo is on the bench it would give McInnes a rest or be able to move either to an edge forward role, again which better serves our type of game. McInnes could even move to lock to cover for Lawrie when he needs a spell with Robson at hooker.

So much more options and balance, well done to numb nuts for finally seeing the light, well at least for 1 game anyway.

Latest posts