What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reserves Rd 10 v Bulldogs

1. Dylan Smith
23. David Nofoaluma
19. Watson Heleta
4. Kane McQuiggin
5. Kane Bradley
6. Tyson Gamble
7. Kauri Aupouri (capt.)
8. Joseph Ratuvakacereivalu
9. Braden Robson
10. Russell Packer
11. Sam McIntyre
12. Robbie Rochow
21. Patrice Siolo

Interchange:
14. Alex Seyfarth
24. Soni Luke

Vic Mackey

Referee
Momirovski, Clark, Liddle, Garner and ET were all late inclusions

Drew 10 all against the team coming lasts reserve grade side. Very disappointing, more then half the guys playing today should be pushing for first grade spots

I see Liddle played 80 minutes, assume that if he played any minutes on Thursday night he would not have been able to play today.

The Canterbury Bulldogs and Western Suburbs Magpies have played out a thrilling 10-all draw in the first of three games played at Panthers Stadium as part of Canterbury Cup NSW Magic Round.

The Magpies trailed for 79 minutes before Elijah Taylor crashed over under the posts in the final seconds.

There was plenty of first-grade experience spread across both sides, with the Bulldogs boasting the likes of Michael Lichaa, Christian Crichton and Kerrod Holland while David Nofoaluma, Elijah Taylor and Russell packer lined up for the Magpies.

However, outside of Lichaa who was nifty out of dummy-half and scored a try, none made enough of an impression to push for an NRL recall.

Canterbury-Bankstown eventually opened the scoring in the 14th minute when Lichaa darted out of dummy-half and reached out to plant the ball down.

Morgan Harper’s conversion was successful to push the lead out to 6-0.
Lichaa was at it again minutes later, this time creating space out wide for Harper to put Tuipulotu Katoa over untouched.

Raymond Faitala-Mariner almost extended their lead when he surged towards the line only to be ruled to have been pulled up just short. And a subsequent error in the play-the-ball let the Magpies off the hook.

The 25-year old had a chance to redeem himself when he steamed onto a Jesse Marschke pass and given his strength and power, a potential try was on the cards. But his hands let him down again as the ball spilt free.

The Magpies went close to reducing the deficit early in the second half when Tyson Gamble played it short to a charging Alex Seyfarth. But the interchange forward grounded the ball just short of the line.

Another chance went begging moments later as a long ball from Lichaa was intercepted by Nofoaluma.

The 25-year old sprinted down the touchline only to be penalised for a double movement as he was dragged down by Canterbury defenders.

The Magpies eventually cracked them in the 60th minute when a stream of offloads created an overlap on the left edge with Paul Momirovski slicing over.
The centre couldn’t convert his own try from the sideline.

Western Suburbs dominated the final stages of the contest and stole the one point when Taylor surged over under the posts, gifting Momirovski with an easy conversion to seal the draw.

Shredder

Juniors
I think the fact that our reserves, packed as you say with people who should be pushing for a first grade squad is playing so badly, typifies what goes on here.

Madge cant do anything with 1st because noon in reggies is screaming to be called up.

Hes stuck with the core first grade group and has been able to do little more than tinker.

Players like Gamble and Nofo should be rasing their hands to play firsts, but their not.

And while we go win loss win, which is pretty much if anything slightly better than expected, hes not going to risk anything by playing lower grade players and I dont blame him.

I was excited by the Mimrovski signing, but the one game I saw him play on TV wasnt inspiring. Gamble has been in our system now a couple of years and is pretty much being ignored and in the past when Nofo was dropped he would score 3 or 4 tries in reggies and push his way back.

So calling for players like Mbye to be dropped is wonderful. My question, for who? Who from reserves in chomping at the big for his spot?

This year will be the year that Madge puts the systems in place, which he is doing and its working well.
We have a large number of mid value players off contract this year, so watch him sign depth.
Its next year when we have the high value players off contract and we will make some big name purchases. But if he builds the system, will we need them? When did Melbourne ever sign a big name player?

Shredder

Juniors
Thanks guys.

I just feel for any coach thats brought in new to an inherited team.

Although, remember when we were originally excited to have Ivan here, look at what he has done to the same roster at Penrith. Thats hilarious.

Das, here are some stats:

Packer - 49 minutes - 24 tackles - 7 runs & 66 metres - 17 post contact metres
Clark - 42 minutes - 32 tackles - 13 runs & 96 metres - 34 post contact metres

And the winner is ....... Clark

Liddle - 80 minutes - 43 tackles - 14 runs & 73 metres - 7 post contact metres & 1 try assist

wingers:
Nofoaluma - 80 minutes - 14 runs & 202 metres - tackle breaks 3 - missed tackles 1 ;)
Bradley - 80 minutes - 15 runs & 137 metres - tackle breaks 1

Das Hassler

Bench
Das, here are some stats:

Packer - 49 minutes - 24 tackles - 7 runs & 66 metres - 17 post contact metres
Clark - 42 minutes - 32 tackles - 13 runs & 96 metres - 34 post contact metres

And the winner is ....... Clark

Liddle - 80 minutes - 43 tackles - 14 runs & 73 metres - 7 post contact metres & 1 try assist

wingers:
Nofoaluma - 80 minutes - 14 runs & 202 metres - tackle breaks 3 - missed tackles 1 ;)
Bradley - 80 minutes - 15 runs & 137 metres - tackle breaks 1

Scintillating. ...as grim as it reads i wouldn't be surprised if it's still an improvement ?

The unknown

Juniors
You have players putting in & pushing for a 1st grade spot

....Then you have Packer.

WT will be his last place of employment as a RL player

Scintillating. ...as grim as it reads i wouldn't be surprised if it's still an improvement ?

For a player on a large contract like his especially at this level he should be doubling those stats

Vic Mackey

Referee
How can a professional walk off his workplace, read those stats and seriously be happy with what he’s producing?

I get that he gets paid the same no matter what for the next 4 years but have some pride in yourself. Look at how Reynolds, Eisenhuth and Nofa responded to being dropped. Packer is still churning out the same shit, it’s actually embarrassing now.

Tiger05

First Grade
Those are pretty similar to the stats he was getting in first grade. Maybe he is just a tradesman like prop. He doesn't have many glaring errors but as soon as Madge saw him jogging back looking the wrong way he dropped him.

Our middle forward rotation of Twal, Matulino, Eisenhuth, Aloiai and Mikaele are doing really well. You probably don't need another middle forward because Twal and Eisenhuth can play big minutes.

I reckon he was a Blair like signing.

Reserve grade Team of the Week

13. Elijah Taylor
Club: Western Suburbs Magpies; 2019 TOTW selections: 2

One try, one line-break, three tackle-breaks, 100 total metres, one offload, 48 tackles.

Tiger05

First Grade
Reserve grade Team of the Week

13. Elijah Taylor
Club: Western Suburbs Magpies; 2019 TOTW selections: 2

One try, one line-break, three tackle-breaks, 100 total metres, one offload, 48 tackles.

Good to see him doing well. He is quality. I think he is just a little small for first grade.

Latest posts