What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Perth Red

Post Whore
According to report over here they were going to install the temporary seating if the ticket sales reached 58,000 by Friday. I assume they didn't hit that target given the attendance was just below 57,000.

I’m very surprised they didn’t, they did for nrl and that sold less than 40k tickets. Did afl have a game day before or after? That is more likely the reason they didn’t.

jargan83

Coach
I’m very surprised they didn’t, they did for nrl and that sold less than 40k tickets. Did afl have a game day before or after? That is more likely the reason they didn’t.

West Coast played the Friday night before

You’d assume the extra “rectangular mode” was in the agreement between the WA Government and the NRL.

Perth Red

Post Whore
West Coast played the Friday night before

You’d assume the extra “rectangular mode” was in the agreement between the WA Government and the NRL.

Might have been they just wanted to try it out before the epl games. Still I’m surprised they didnt use of for a soccer grand final, probably Aleague being cheap.

seanoff

Juniors
https://www.austadiums.com/news/new...SDs3EXk4coSZYv-Nk-52cyTbqvgZWE7KPkEeWCfgMWB3A

This looks like a pretty cool regional venue. I find it interesting that games will stay at TIO Stadium - I'd have thought 10,000 in a dedicated ground would be better than playing at an oval, especially given that's about what the Eels have been drawing there anyway.

The only way 10,000 people will fit at Warren Park is if 8,800 stand on the field, thus making it difficult to play a game. Apart from the 1200 seats there is bugger all else. Its got 3 fields. All about 10m - 12m apart and flat as a crepe. Have a peek in apple maps and use the satellite view to get an overview.

TIO is so much more capable its not even a contest. The stand at TIO has 5000 seats, 8 corp boxes, then the bar upstairs a few hundred more, then the upper decks on the side hold another few hundred either side and there are hills, another small stand on the other side. 2 levels of press facilities, a dedicated tv commentary booth, 3 or 4 radio booths, etc etc etc. and they’ve just upgraded the lights to 1600 lux (added a 5th light tower) Never mind Parra will use the mick long centre as a base and a dressing room for the game which is basically a full high performance centre at the ground.

I suspect the 10,000 number for Warren park is for a concert with the stage at one end. It in no way reflects the reality for watching a game there.

Timbo

Staff member
Just opened. Qatar's Al Wakrah Stadium

https://www.architecturaldigest.com...itects-completes-stadium-qatar-2022-world-cup
Sydney needs a stadium that can be enclosed with a roof.
View attachment 29953 View attachment 29954

It also cost 587 million Euros, which at the moment is about 950 million Australian Dollars (http://stadiumdb.com/constructions/qat/al_wakrah_stadium). And that was in a country where they've been using essentially slave labour to build these stadiums.

Suitman

Post Whore
I read today on another website that new A-League club Macarthur FC had a club launch the other night. Anyway, the person that went said he spoke to Lang Walker (financial backer of the new club and billionaire property developer) and Walker said that work on Campbelltown stadium would be starting soon.
Not sure how true this is as I'm sure I would have come across details already somewhere (DA applications, drawings etc....)
Anyway, thought I'd just drop this here as if it's true, it's great news for Campbelltown Stadium.

Also, the local council has called for expressions off interest for the naming rights of the stadium.

http://www.southwestvoice.com.au/naming-rights-offer-from-orana-park-and-campbelltown-stadium-to/

Naming rights offer: from Orana Park and Campbelltown Stadium to?
Eric Kontos on Wednesday, 22 May, 2019 in News
ctownstadiumwtvdogsmar312019-1-768x512.jpg

It started out as a small playing field across from the railway line near Leumeah called Alf Duguid Oval.

When big rugby league came to town with the Western Suburbs Magpies in 1987 the name for the entire site, Orana Park, took prominence.

It became Campbelltown Sports Stadium when it was redeveloped twice using Campbelltown Council ratepayers’ money and some funding from the state government.

Now with a full time tenant in Macarthur FC about to use this great facility from August 2020, it could also be named after a company willing to part with what is believed up to $500,000 a year.

Campbelltown Council last week approved a plan to call for expressions of interests from business for a naming rights sponsor for the Campbelltown Sports Stadium.

According to the motion passed last week, once expressions of interest are in a report will be prepared for councillors to make a decision.

Mayor George Brticevic says that in an ideal world he would love to see a local company name adorn the gates to Campbelltown Sports Stadium.

“But we can only speculate at this stage because we don’t know who will express an interest in the making rights,’’ he told the South West Voice in Macarthur a few minutes ago.

“We will wait to see the report and of course if some local companies are in the mix we would love to think one of them ends up with the naming rights to our wonderful stadium,’’ he said.

Cr Brticevic said the council had included some rules with the expressions of interest bids, making it clear that some industries, such as tobacco, were not welcome to have their names up at the stadium.

wanderersctownstadium-9-300x255.jpg

“We won’t accept any liquor or gambling businesses as the name,’’ he said.

Cr Brticevic said it had not been discussed as yet but he also hoped that consideration may be given, if commercially possible, to incorporating “Campbelltown’’ in the new name for the stadium, if only for a period of adjustment as people became familiar with the new name.

“Again, if this was possible, I would like to see something like that, but at this stage it’s all speculation because as I said we have to wait for any expression of interest bids to come back to us,’’ he said.

Shark62

Juniors
I read today on another website that new A-League club Macarthur FC had a club launch the other night. Anyway, the person that went said he spoke to Lang Walker (financial backer of the new club and billionaire property developer) and Walker said that work on Campbelltown stadium would be starting soon.
Not sure how true this is as I'm sure I would have come across details already somewhere (DA applications, drawings etc....)
Anyway, thought I'd just drop this here as if it's true, it's great news for Campbelltown Stadium.

Also, the local council has called for expressions off interest for the naming rights of the stadium.

http://www.southwestvoice.com.au/naming-rights-offer-from-orana-park-and-campbelltown-stadium-to/

It started out as a small playing field across from the railway line near Leumeah called Alf Duguid Oval.

When big rugby league came to town with the Western Suburbs Magpies in 1987 the name for the entire site, Orana Park, took prominence.

It became Campbelltown Sports Stadium when it was redeveloped twice using Campbelltown Council ratepayers’ money and some funding from the state government.

Now with a full time tenant in Macarthur FC about to use this great facility from August 2020, it could also be named after a company willing to part with what is believed up to $500,000 a year.

Campbelltown Council last week approved a plan to call for expressions of interests from business for a naming rights sponsor for the Campbelltown Sports Stadium.

According to the motion passed last week, once expressions of interest are in a report will be prepared for councillors to make a decision.

Mayor George Brticevic says that in an ideal world he would love to see a local company name adorn the gates to Campbelltown Sports Stadium.

“But we can only speculate at this stage because we don’t know who will express an interest in the making rights,’’ he told the South West Voice in Macarthur a few minutes ago.

“We will wait to see the report and of course if some local companies are in the mix we would love to think one of them ends up with the naming rights to our wonderful stadium,’’ he said.

Cr Brticevic said the council had included some rules with the expressions of interest bids, making it clear that some industries, such as tobacco, were not welcome to have their names up at the stadium.

Cr Brticevic said it had not been discussed as yet but he also hoped that consideration may be given, if commercially possible, to incorporating “Campbelltown’’ in the new name for the stadium, if only for a period of adjustment as people became familiar with the new name.

“Again, if this was possible, I would like to see something like that, but at this stage it’s all speculation because as I said we have to wait for any expression of interest bids to come back to us,’’ he said.
Surely they’d have to consult with the tigers about this? This can’t be bad for league.

Suitman

Post Whore
Surely they’d have to consult with the tigers about this? This can’t be bad for league.

Why would they have to consult with the Tigers? They are just a tenant, just like Macarthur FC will be. The fact that Macarthur FC are fronting up with the money for the redevelopment in conjunction with the council would tell me that they are in the box seat.
I would assume that this redevelopment is between Macarthur FC and the council. Nobody else.
FYI, it ain't the Tigers home ground. It's a council owned ground. The Tigepies just rent it. They will however, benefit greatly if this goes ahead.

Shark62

Juniors
Why would they have to consult with the Tigers? They are just a tenant, just like Macarthur FC will be. The fact that Macarthur FC are fronting up with the money for the redevelopment in conjunction with the council would tell me that they are in the box seat.
I would assume that this redevelopment is between Macarthur FC and the council. Nobody else.
FYI, it ain't the Tigers home ground. It's a council owned ground. The Tigepies just rent it. They will however, benefit greatly if this goes ahead.
Your last sentence answered my badly framed question. Thanks.
I suppose the next question will be how often the tigers should play there once it’s completed.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The NRL has hinted it will offer marquee content to sweeten the deal for a new stadium in Civic, chief executive Todd Greenberg declaring his support for the $400 million project.
But the ACT government is still waiting for Sport Australia to detail plans an AIS redesign, which will likely involve selling Canberra Stadium to pave the way for a new venue to be built in the city.

Greenberg was in Canberra on Friday to tour the Raiders' new $19 million facility in Braddon, which is expected to be finished by the end of this year

It's unlikely the NRL will offer financial help to build a new stadium, which could potentially have a roof, but Greenberg said the chance to host State of Origin, a 'Magic round' or other marquee events would be rugby league's way of chipping in.

The Canberra Times revealed last week ACT senator Zed Seselja was keen to work with the ACT government to reignite the plans for a new stadium.

Seselja reaffirmed his position after being re-elected in the federal election, saying: "I think it is significant priority. The ACT government, if they are willing to talk, I would be willing to sit down with them and certainly put the case to my colleagues. I think as we look at the future of the AIS, its a decision that needs to be made."

The AIS is considering cutting in half the size of its campus at Bruce, reducing the site to 30 hectares and selling major assets including Canberra Stadium and the AIS Arena.

"There are levers that both the ACT government and the Commonwealth have, in how we reconfigure the AIS that could be beneficial to both sides. I think if there is a willingess, then I would be very happy to see constructive talks go on there."

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/st...-content-on-table-if-canberra-builds-stadium/

Hoofhearted

Juniors
Similar to what Perth Red already posted, this article mentions New Zealand as well.

‘Nothing would please me more’ – NRL boss backs city stadium for Canberra

Lachlan Roberts 27 May 2019

todd-greenber-nrl-1-810x579.jpg

NRL chief Todd Greenberg said a new city stadium would be a great outcome for NRL and the Raiders. Photo: NRL

NRL boss Todd Greenberg said he will advocate for a new city stadium in the nation’s capital as the Canberra Raiders earmark a new stadium as their next major project.

Greenberg, who was in Canberra this weekend as he visits all 16 NRL clubs, stopped at the construction site of the Raider’s Centre of Excellence to check on the progress of the Raiders new HQ in the heart of the city.

Though the ACT Government and Chief Minister Andrew Barr has been adamant that a new theatre centre will be built before the government pledges money to a new stadium, the Raiders have been strong advocates of a new stadium being built closeby their new Braddon headquarters.

When asked about his thoughts on a new stadium in the city, Greenberg pointed to the 30,000 fans that packed out Bankwest Stadium for the opening game between the Eels and Wests Tigers last month as a sign of what a new stadium could bring to the nation’s capital.

“I am as keen as the Raiders are to see a stadium here in the city of Canberra,” Greenberg told reporters on Friday afternoon (24 May). “We have had great success with NSW Government and we have opened Bankwest Stadium and Allianz stadium will be redeveloped in the next couple of years.

“Next year we will open the season in Townsville with a brand new stadium for the Cowboys. We are in talks in New Zealand about stadiums for the Warriors and it is equally as important talking to Government here about the opportunities for the Raiders.

“Nothing would please me more than to see a rectangular stadium for Raiders fans here in Canberra. That is the subject that I have spoken about before and I will continue to advocate for the Raiders. It would be a great outcome.”

Greenberg said the opening of a modernised stadium in the ACT would not only be a boost to the Raiders and other sports teams that use them but also to the local economy. While he said the NRL will not commit money to the proposed stadium, he said there were are numbers of different ways they could support Canberra’s bid.

“As an example in Townsville, that was a $250 Government injection from Federal and state and our commitment to that was that a certain number of events would be played there,” he said.

“You will see Allstars played up there at some point as well as a Kangaroos and Jillaroos test match. These are the sort of events that bring enormous economic impact to Government. Last week we played Magic Round in Brisbane which created more than $20 million of economic impact.

“With new stadiums comes new content, which means new economic impact. This is why we are playing State of Origin in Perth this year. There will be 25,000 people travelling interstate to Perth and you can imagine what that would do to the local economy.

“That is why we are playing State of Origin game in Adelaide next season for the same reason.”

Timbo

Staff member
With the Brumbies crowds cratering and Canberra missing out on an A-League expansion team this seems sadly further away than ever.

Maybe it’s going to be a staged development? Start some minor work first.

I still can’t see how it’s viable to build an 18k seats stadium with just private money.

gallagher

Juniors
Maybe it’s going to be a staged development? Start some minor work first.

I still can’t see how it’s viable to build an 18k seats stadium with just private money.
Indeed. Why would they spend money to turn an 18k ground into a another 18k ground for a team that will average 8k?