What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chernobyl (2019) HBO

Pommy

Coach
Is this on Foxtel? With it being HBO is it going to have an inexplicable ending?

Generalzod

Immortal
One of my mates went a on a tour there last year....Look at some of the video's on Youtube life is making a comeback there....

Last edited:

bileduct

Coach
I watched the first episode. I thought this was going to be a documentary but was kinda disappointed when it turned out to be drama mini-series. I would have also preferred to hear some Soviet accents rather than British ones. Pretty decent otherwise.

Smack

Coach
I watched the first episode. I thought this was going to be a documentary but was kinda disappointed when it turned out to be drama mini-series. I would have also preferred to hear some Soviet accents rather than British ones. Pretty decent otherwise.

They had British accents in classical antiquity also apparently :(

better than seppo ones I guess..

They also had Scottish accents too lol

Springs09

Juniors
Is this on Foxtel? With it being HBO is it going to have an inexplicable ending?

It's rather grounded for HBO so far. It's quite dry and slow but suits the subject matter. It's quite an enlightening docudrama. Not as good as a documentary but has portrayed the disaster well so far and been quite informative and entertaining without the need for the usual HBO sensationlised shit.

Pommy

Coach

Either subtitles or don’t bother in my opinion. I’ve got no time for shitty accents. I mean actors with shitty accents not foreigners.

bileduct

Coach
Either subtitles or don’t bother in my opinion. I’ve got no time for shitty accents. I mean actors with shitty accents not foreigners.
Yeah I'm not talking about Sean Connery trying to play a Russian. I think McMafia showed that there are plenty of english speaking Russian actors out there that could have filled most of the roles in this show.

Con O'Neill's Liverpool accent was just jarring.

Springs09

Juniors
Got a bit more HBO in this episode, with the miner dongs and the incredibly stupid wife of the firefighter.

Still mostly grounded and mostly historically accurate, just don't see why they need to try and create drama out of stupidity.

Pommy

Coach
Watched the first episode last night. I must say I really enjoyed it.
Having previously worked with nuclear weapons and living within within meters of a live reactor it’s alarming to see the people you trust with your and everyone else’s safety acting in total dereliction of their duties.
I will need to read and see how much of this is true but they just seemed to be in total denial even when people are telling them what they’ve seen.
I guess the totalitarian nature of the USSR just bred a culture of make sure you’re ok and see where everything else lands.

Springs09

Juniors
Most of it is true so far. Emily Watson is a composite character and some things are exaggerated for dramatic effect.

I've liked the series' portrayal of the USSR's tendencies to give high-ranking positions to unqualified people.

Springs09

Juniors
Reading up on the firefighter and the wife and the show is more true to life than I thought. The difference being that she was allowed to stay with him and the staff weren't as insistent she not be there. She'd actually stay with him and take out pieces of internal organs from his mouth that he'd coughed up.

The show makes her look like an idiot with her immediately disobeying anything the nurses say.

jargan83

Coach
I'd be keen to check this out, are all the episodes available via Foxtel On Demand on are they dropping weekly?

Smack

Coach
Watched the first episode last night. I must say I really enjoyed it.
Having previously worked with nuclear weapons and living within within meters of a live reactor it’s alarming to see the people you trust with your and everyone else’s safety acting in total dereliction of their duties.
I will need to read and see how much of this is true but they just seemed to be in total denial even when people are telling them what they’ve seen.
I guess the totalitarian nature of the USSR just bred a culture of make sure you’re ok and see where everything else lands.

I love how they respect the people by showing their bravery, as in the volunteers and the general driving close to the site for a reading and the pilots, miners (and pretty much everyone else helping), while showing the bureaucratic nightmare that communism is.

Springs09

Juniors
Looked up the guy behind this to see what else he has written:
Scary Movie 3 & 4
The Hangover 2 & 3
Superhero Movie
The Huntsman: Winter's War

WTF

Danish

Referee

Haven’t watched it yet, but if it’s filled with British accents I don’t know if I can stomach it.

There was a mini-series on hitler made by the Brits a while ago... and hitler was played by the bloke from the full Monty just speaking in his natural voice. Completely ruined it

Latest posts