What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

South Africa

Whatwhere

Juniors
Best to target the younger players. U20’s and u18’s.

There's more money and opportunity in Europe for the younger guys. I'm not saying it's impossible but you can make the kind of money I mentioned above playing ProD2 in France (2nd division) and there's even good money to be made in Federale 1 (3rd division).

Same could be said of Japan which currently has 2 tiers of professional Rugby soon to be 3 and the US with MLR.

Last edited:

ed313909

Juniors
There's more money and opportunity in Europe for the younger guys. I'm not saying it's impossible but you can make the kind of money I mentioned above playing ProD2 in France (2nd division) and there's even good money to be made in Federale 1 (3rd division).

:joy::rofl: I played d2 a few years ago just for a run.... Laughable if you think they are getting paid over 100k. The vast majority I played with were getting paid a few hundred euros at most per win!

Whatwhere

Juniors

Which club?

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
I don't follow Union esp French union and the last time I looked a few years ago, there were teams down the bottom of that comp hardly paying anything so to say they are fully pro when some are just making up the numbers is a bit of a stretch. The more believable thing to say would have been, the majority of the 2nd div clubs are fully pro, the ones with ambition, not the ones making up the numbers just to survive. Not every team has a rich backer propping them up.

sportas

Juniors
Just because some clubs aren’t as rich as others it still doesn’t change the fact that ProD2 is a fully professional competition.

sportas

Juniors
The English championship is a fully professional competition but like the ProD2 there are some teams who aren’t as financial stable as others, the difference is in ProD2 any club that gets promoted to D2 from federale 1 must pass an audit to ensure that are financially able to sustain a team at that level. You know a quick google search will tell you all this right?

Shark62

Juniors
Considering that the only full time players on every team unless contracted to NRL team have day jobs and the Comp it self is promoted as a semi pro comp will tell you that it’s not full pro :face_palm_tone3:♂️
You are trying to discuss this rationally with a bloke with a massive rugby union chip on his shoulder. Good luck.

Whatwhere

Juniors
I don't follow Union esp French union and the last time I looked a few years ago, there were teams down the bottom of that comp hardly paying anything so to say they are fully pro when some are just making up the numbers is a bit of a stretch. The more believable thing to say would have been, the majority of the 2nd div clubs are fully pro, the ones with ambition, not the ones making up the numbers just to survive. Not every team has a rich backer propping them up.

The average salary spend in the ProD2 last season was 5.7m Euros. With the lowest being a little over 2.5m Euro and the highest over 10m. The lowest spend was still more than the cap in the Super League. It's a little different in the Championship in England. With teams spending between £800k-£2m/ year on talent outside of the likes of London Irish and in the past Bristol who spend significantly more.