What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW 2019

nick87

Coach
Wighton has been very good this year and can cover all backline positions comfortably and pinch hit in the backrow. The thing I like with Wighton you're not guessing if he can cover a certain position as he's literally played an entire season in most of the backline positions
Yeah exactly, and his best attribute is running and his motor, so i think he's the type of player who if you wanted to bring him on and playing 10-15 minutes at hooker to spell Cook, i think he'd do alright there

But yeah with Wighton you dont have to worry about an injury. He can cover anywhere but the front row.

Tommy Smith

Referee
We have Payne Haas.

Doesn't matter who the other 16 randoms are because the rep career of the one day to be greatest prop ever is about to begin.

Be afraid, Qld. Be very afraid.

Dave's mate

Juniors
I dont like the guy, i think it's clear he's a massive f**kwit, but his form this year was been REALLY good. Cant doubt the quality of the play he's put on the park

as for how he gets into origin? He can play fullback, wing, centre, in the halves, and back row... Having that level of versatility is extremely valuable in a 3 game series. Stylistically, he's very similar to Luke Lewis in his peak (albeit Luke Lewis was a much higher quality player)
Very good centre and if he stayed there woukd have been picked for NSW years ago imo but I cant see a way he comes on and has any impact

Woosh

Head Moderator
He's the best young forward I've seen since SBW

Fifta will be better than him.
Funny though when the Donkeys signed Hass last year to that massive contact after only 1 NRL game everyone on here thought Bennett had lost his marbles.

nick87

Coach
Very good centre and if he stayed there woukd have been picked for NSW years ago imo but I cant see a way he comes on and has any impact
His impact will depend on his role. If he comes on as a running forward or floating ball runner hanging around, he may not make an impact, or he might create a break or something... who knows

If one of the backs breaks their leg early in the game, his impact will be substantial

Edit: and full disclosure, i dont really buy into covering backs for the most part... in a regular season game i think you just figure it out and come back next week and try again... but SOO is a best of 3 series. Dropping one game because you dont have any way to cover an outside back could swing the series. So i get why they want that versatility

mxlegend99

Referee
Honestly its not a bad team even if there could have been better selections. I know many have issue with the likes of Cleary, Crichton and Morris getting picked. But the biggest wtf selections to me are Wighton as the utility and Haas on the bench.

Wighton I am fine with as the utility barely plays unless injury forces them to. He covers the whole backline and has good form behind him. Hes a bit braindead which is my only concern... if he can keep the stupid out of his game he's pretty much perfect for Origin though. He's big, powerful, skillful and agressive.

But Haas? He hasn't really got the runs on the board. I'm prepared to back Fittler to know what he is doing.

Stoked for Cotric, Walker and Murray to get a run. Even through an injury crisis of sorts I think we have a strong side with enough players in great form that those who arent could be lifted by them.

Jason Maher

Immortal
Good team. JMoz is a place holder for Tommy T. Wighton is a place holder for Keary. It is unclear whether Cleary would have kept his spot had Reynolds and Pearce been available (yeah, yeah, I know, but they absolutely would have been considering him on form). I'd swap Crichton for another front rower, but that's a minor quibble.

mongoose

Coach
Honestly its not a bad team even if there could have been better selections. I know many have issue with the likes of Cleary, Crichton and Morris getting picked. But the biggest wtf selections to me are Wighton as the utility and Haas on the bench.

Wighton I am fine with as the utility barely plays unless injury forces them to. He covers the whole backline and has good form behind him. Hes a bit braindead which is my only concern... if he can keep the stupid out of his game he's pretty much perfect for Origin though. He's big, powerful, skillful and agressive.

But Haas? He hasn't really got the runs on the board. I'm prepared to back Fittler to know what he is doing.

Stoked for Cotric, Walker and Murray to get a run. Even through an injury crisis of sorts I think we have a strong side with enough players in great form that those who arent could be lifted by them.

Haas has run over 200m his last 2 games. He is freakish.

aqua_duck

Coach
For those questioning the Payne Haas selection, this is his output in his last 7 matches;
Vs warriors: 64 mins, 18 hit ups for 185m, 36 tackles, 1 missed tackle

Vs roosters: 63 mins, 20 hit ups for 221m, 25 tackles, 2 missed tackles

Vs Manly: 61 mins, 20 hit ups for 202m, 32 tackles, 1 missed tackle

Vs Souths: 61 mins, 12 hit ups for 121m, 36 tackles, 0 missed tackles

Vs Cronulla: 63 mins, 11 hit ups for 150m, 31 tackles, 0 missed tackles

Vs Canberra: 80 mins, 18 hit ups for 170m, 36 tackles, 1 missed tackle

Vs Wests: 64 mins, 17 hit ups for 167m, 45 tackles, 2 missed tackles

plays big minutes, high work rate but still makes plenty of metres per run and doesn't miss many tackles

blaza88z

Coach
We have Payne Haas.

Doesn't matter who the other 16 randoms are because the rep career of the one day to be greatest prop ever is about to begin.

Be afraid, Qld. Be very afraid.

That's somewhat different to the tune you were singing when we signed him last season on a 4 year deal