What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 11 vs Sharks

rasaint

Juniors
Unfortunately Zac isn’t going to get any better. Had a go today and yes does a nice twirly twirly thing which will fool the defence one day. Caught most high balls. Lacks that yard of dash to be a top fullback, thats why he almost scores a try when the opportunity presents.

getsmarty

Immortal
Injury crisis deepens for Dragons after fifth straight defeat
Local Sport
r0_0_3686_3375_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

OUCH: Tyson Frizell leaves the field concussed on Sunday. Picture: NRL Photos

IF NSW coach Brad Fittler has had his share of headaches this week, it's nothing compared the the one Dragons forward Tyson Frizell was left carrying after his side's 22-9 loss to Cronulla in Wollongong on Sunday.

Paul McGregor will also be reaching for the Nurofen, with Tim Lafai and James Graham also leaving the field in the first half with ankle injuries and not returning amid an already heavy injury toll.

It left the Dragons with just one man on the interchange bench to start the second half with the Sharks running in three unanswered tries after trailing 9-8 at halftime.

Frizell was felled in a horror collision with Josh Dugan that left him out cold six minutes before the break. He ultimately left the park on his own feet without the aid of a stretcher, but headed straight into the sheds and didn't return.

Fittler, who was at WIN Stadium, named Frizell in his side and said post-match that he was confident the 27-year-old will be right for Origin I.

"I went down and talked to Friz at halftime and he wanted to go back on," Fittler said.

"He had that silly smile on his face, I don't know if he actually knew he was talking to me but he got cleared by the medical staff, obviously not to come back on, but I think he's OK.

"We'll just follow [concussion] protocol, I'm not sure when he can train but we'll work that out tonight."

It was the least of McGregor's worries, with Lafai and Graham both leaving the ground in moon boots accompanied by crutches.

It will see them join Gareth Widdop and Corey Norman in a star-studded injury ward with the round-13 bye a godsend for the club on the back of five straight losses.

"We lost Laf after 16 minutes, Tyson after 32 and James didn't come back on after halftime so we were only left with one there [on the bench]," McGregor said.

"We were forced to use five [interchanges] in that period because of the changes but that's footy. It's a bit of a MASH unit downstairs at the moment.

"It looks like James and Laf have done ankle injuries. I don't know the extent of them but if James doesn't come back on the field it's a bad one one would think.

"He's in a boot and Lafai's on crutches as well. We've got the bye next week so that helps."

The loss sees them drop to 13th on the ladder and with some soul-searching to do in a merciful fortnight before their round-14 clash with Canterbury.

"We know the situation we're in and I know where we can go to," McGregor said.

"Healthy bodies will help and time away the next couple of days will freshen a few people up. Korbin Sims had his first game back so he's going to be better for that gallop.

"[Jeremy] Latimore will be back after the break, Normy will be back. We'll need to get on the training park and get the fit players out there training but, right now everyone just needs a couple of days."

Matt Moylan proved the star for the Sharks in his return from injury, laying on two of young-gun Bronson Xerri's three tries in an otherwise forgettable match.

Jai Field opened the scoring with a fourth-minute penalty goal before Matt Moylan laid on the opening try for Bronson Xerri three minutes later.

Kyle Flanagan nailed the sideline conversion for a 6-2 lead. Ben Hunt looked certain to peg it back five minutes later only to spill the ball over the line.

A weight of possession finally told for the hosts when Cam McInnes barged over from close range for his side's first try nine minutes before halftime, with Field converting for an 8-6 lead.

Back to back errors from the Dragons opened the door for a Sharks equaliser with Sosaia Feki inexplicably catching the ball with his foot over the sideline with the try-line beckoning.

Flanagan did level-up with a penalty goal two minutes later from before Hunt grabbed the first field-goal of his career to take a one-point lead on the stroke of halftime.

Xerri grabbed his second try five minutes after the resumption after Kurt Capewell won the race to a well-weighted kick from Flanagan and found the youngster for the try.

Flanagan couldn't convert, keeping the margin at three with more than half an hour to play.

Xerri completed his hat-trick 14 minutes later off another assist from Moylan with the Dragons never looking like reeling in the seven-point deficit.

Blayke Brailey hammered the final nail in the coffin inside the final minute, winning the race to grubber from Flanagan in the Dragons in-goal.

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...r-dragons-after-fifth-straight-defeat/?cs=302

Granted we lost players during the game but that doesn’t excuse the lack of fire from the team across the park. I thought McInnes & Robson were our best. I continue to be impressed by Field. Lomax was just trying too hard at times. Luc looks like he’s gone off the boil.
I’m not sure how we turn it around but can only hope the bye allows us to freshen up & get some fit players back otherwise it’s going to be a miserable winter.
I fully expected to lose today.
Cronulla are a gritty side and play for 80 minutes.
We only play in patches and that makes it impossible to win football games against committed opposition.
What I took out of the game:
1. FB - Even though Lomax was caught out of position a few times, he seemed a much better option than Dufty at FB.
Looked very comfortable under the high ball, kick returns were strong and injected himself into the backline regularly. Most importantly, his defence was reliable and his physical presence made a difference.
I think he has plenty of upside if McGregor decides to persevere.
2. Wingers - I am sorry but our wingers are not FG standard. Pearson had absolutely no impact on his debut and Pereira, while a determined runner with the ball, is slow. He was outrun by Capewell to concede that second half try.
We entered the player market to buy a bunch of second stringers in the hope that a couple would step up if given a chance in fg. Big recruitment fail in my view.
3. Our centres pairings are not working. Given McGregor's reputation, this is something I cannot understand.
4. Field had absolutely no impact in attack in particular. He is not combining with Hunt at all.
Speed is not enough as we have learnt with Dufty but I'm not sure if these speedsters are being used properly.
Norman will make a significant difference whenever he returns
5. Hunt was one of our better performers today but behind a beaten pack, will always struggle to bust games open.
6. Forwards - Leilua, Host and especially Robson can all hold their heads high today.
You have to wonder why Robson had to leave and the club to lose 4 straight before he got a chance in first grade. I have given up trying to understand McGregor's selection and bench logic.
McInnes was huge but after effecting 57 tackles - nearly double any of the other forwards, what can you expect from this tenacious young man.
Special mention Graham - had a couple of really strong games earlier this year but now really struggles to bend the line and make any ground. Either he is playing busted and/or he is nearing the end of his career. Time to make provision for 2020.
7. Game plan straight from the coalfields - bash and barge with your big forwards.
This is now tired and ineffectual because the opposition know what to expect. They hang in there, absorb the brunt and when we start to wane or when key interchanges are made, they take advantage. It is also evident that other teams have big forwards too and ours are being matched up the middle. Today Fifita and that other monster Euele did plenty of damage as did their back row.
There is no innovation or noticeable change of tactics in our repertoire. No footy smarts whatsoever. Cronulla had Moylan and a couple of really smart youngsters that made us look second rate.
8. Basics - catch and pass, set plays seem to be technically deficient. So many unforced errors that we honestly looked like we were playing together for the first time.
Execution was diabolical.
Improved performance from the Newcastle debacle but still not very competitive.
We will hear all about our injury toll and the JDB saga however look at the Cronulla line up.
Missing Johnson, Graham and Woods, Cronulla still stuck to their guns for 80 minutes with the help of some talented youngsters.

So I'm very sorry but in front of a big Win stadium crowd and everything to play for, we rolled over in the second half...again.
Many players have lost belief in themselves and the style of football being advocated - and it shows.
There are exceptions like McInnes and the younger brigade but right now, we are shot birds.

McGregor's record since the extension 0-5

possm

Coach
It would be nice to be talking about a win and how good Field and Lomax are but they aren't making the most of their chances. I have high hope for both and it is now getting frustrating waiting for them to take hold of their opportunity.
Give us a coach with some smarts and ability to manage players.
Give us a recruitment/pathways director who makes an effort to get the very best squad together.
Give us a CEO and Board who will do what is best for the Club rather than what the old boys want.

Red V for life

Juniors
Lomax first FULL game in one position and that position is a pretty demanding one so no surprise he was gassed. I mean it’s not like he was getting a solid 80 minutes before. He was caught out of position a few times, at least one of those was because he made the cover tackle given our Sorbent like defence.

Field I like what I see in defence and attack but he was barely sighted in the second half. I don’t know whether it’s fitness or coach’s instruction, but I feel he has enough to be part of the first grade squad.

hermidale1

Juniors
Lomax first FULL game in one position and that position is a pretty demanding one so no surprise he was gassed. I mean it’s not like he was getting a solid 80 minutes before. He was caught out of position a few times, at least one of those was because he made the cover tackle given our Sorbent like defence.

Field I like what I see in defence and attack but he was barely sighted in the second half. I don’t know whether it’s fitness or coach’s instruction, but I feel he has enough to be part of the first grade squad.
Field plays too much touch footy. Dances and weaves and then holds a the ball.
Has talent but when he does that even his own players don't know what he's doing

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
We only play in patches and that makes it impossible to win football games against committed opposition.
1. FB - Even though Lomax was caught out of position a few times, he seemed a much better option than Dufty at FB.
Looked very comfortable under the high ball, kick returns were strong and injected himself into the backline regularly. Most importantly, his defence was reliable and his physical presence made a difference.
2. Wingers - I am sorry but our wingers are not FG standard. Pearson had absolutely no impact on his debut and Pereira, while a determined runner with the ball, is slow. He was outrun by Capewell to concede that second half try.
We entered the player market to buy a bunch of second stringers in the hope that a couple would step up if given a chance in fg. Big recruitment fail in my view.
3. Our centres pairings are not working. Given McGregor's reputation, this is something I cannot understand.
4. Field had absolutely no impact in attack in particular. He is not combining with Hunt at all.
Speed is not enough as we have learnt with Dufty but I'm not sure if these speedsters are being used properly.
5. Hunt was one of our better performers today but behind a beaten pack, will always struggle to bust games open.
6. Forwards - Leilua, Host and especially Robson can all hold their heads high today.
You have to wonder why Robson had to leave and the club to lose 4 straight before he got a chance in first grade. I have given up trying to understand McGregor's selection and bench logic.
McInnes was huge but after effecting 57 tackles - nearly double any of the other forwards, what can you expect from this tenacious young man.
Special mention Graham - had a couple of really strong games earlier this year but now really struggles to bend the line and make any ground. Either he is playing busted and/or he is nearing the end of his career. Time to make provision for 2020.
7. Game plan straight from the coalfields - bash and barge with your big forwards.
This is now tired and ineffectual because the opposition know what to expect. They hang in there, absorb the brunt and when we start to wane or when key interchanges are made, they take advantage. It is also evident that other teams have big forwards too and ours are being matched up the middle. Today Fifita and that other monster Euele did plenty of damage as did their back row.
There is no innovation or noticeable change of tactics in our repertoire. No footy smarts whatsoever. Cronulla had Moylan and a couple of really smart youngsters that made us look second rate.
8. Basics - catch and pass, set plays seem to be technically deficient. So many unforced errors that we honestly looked like we were playing together for the first time.
We will hear all about our injury toll and the JDB saga however look at the Cronulla line up.
Missing Johnson, Graham and Woods, Cronulla still stuck to their guns for 80 minutes with the help of some talented youngsters.

So I'm very sorry but in front of a big Win stadium crowd and everything to play for, we rolled over in the second half...again.
Many players have lost belief in themselves and the style of football being advocated - and it shows.
There are exceptions like McInnes and the younger brigade but right now, we are shot birds.

Your point 7 is the clincher for me. Where are the tactics? Where's the strategy? Are they even thinking how to create some space? The plan seems to be just bash and barge up the middle then kick and hope.

Life's Good

Coach

Pt 7 & 8 are my bugbear. SuperCoach has 75 assistants and between them not one is able to identify the team needs a rest meaning we should be working for repeat sets. We have very little interest in building pressure & controlling the tempo of a game unless we’re dominating(eg. Brisbane semi, Dogs this year). We continue to lack smarts & leadership - on & off the field.

The whole side played dumb, inert and scrappy football. Headed directly for the wooden spoon. Noplayer I saw came out of this with much credit,perhaps Robson, but only just. Immediate future looks bleak.

dragonreddy

Juniors

Point 7 and 8 are the two that are the most annoying, we have been talking about this the whole of McGregor's tenure ,and no doubt will be for the rest of it,which hopefully will be terminated this year.

Point 3 also considering our coach was a test centre beggars belief that our guys play like under 10's in that position at times.

I find it interesting that even though we are sitting 13 on the ladder there has been very little attention from media ,yet Penrith ,Titans and Newcastle all have copped it this year and i think this is because of McGregors reputation (point 3) as a former test and origin player ,definitely TEFLON MAN .

Yet another wasted year!

possm

Coach
Miller, if I wanted to criticise the coach today I would simply be asking why this is the first game that Robson has played this year. He added some spark and enthusiasm to the attack, a spark we could have done with all season. While my second question would be why do we have such little onfield leadership? Is it because we have 3 captains appointed?

I think the last 2 weeks followed by the week off represent a turning point. The finals are gone but the Dragons will only achieve some value from this season if Mary recognises this. If he persists with the hope of finals footy and that leads to safe selections like Lattimore then we could enter wooden spoon territory and gain nothing from the season.

Let's see who in addition to Robson can bring some value to this team. Find out who is worth persevering with in the future. Is Timm one for the future? What about Kerr? Give him some decent time. What's there to lose now?

Finally for Dragons' fans. Like it or not the season is gone. Sadly Mary has been reappointed. We can do no more than support the team week by week but at least do so free of the stress of worrying whether we will make the 8 this year.

The Board can realise their mistakes and try and make things right for 2020. I say bring in Gould and give him room to replace our coaching and fitness staff. Let him get rid of or re-structure our recruitment/pathways/retention staff.

A clean out is in order so get rid of the dead wood and hire some good first grade players for each position. Then promote / recruit backup staff to ensure depth is there.

I'm absolutely certain Gould is the answer however, I am also certain no one in management has an apetite for the cleanout that is necessary for the club to rise out of this situation.

Last edited:

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Agree with most LG but I’m yet to see a lot in Field. He looks & plays like a touch footy player. I’m not sure where he fits in. Maybe a bench player.
I agree with you re Field....allowing for the fact that hes not had much 1st grade experience Im not convinced so far that he will have much impact in the team

getsmarty

Immortal
And to think...Bennett who had great success with our club in the past was available...we chose to pass and he went to souffs...now look at how souffs are going and look at us....typical St George right there.

It is not a matter of passing...they are not allowed to bring in their own people...the NFL structure that Doust left us with .. ( Jobs for the boys for life )....

Maguire and others gave us a big NO...

Talk about setting yourself up to Fail.

Last edited:

possm

Coach
And to think...Bennett who had great success with our club in the past was available...we chose to pass and he went to souffs...now look at how souffs are going and look at us....typical St George right there.
Yes Bennett met with Doust and Young after learning he would not be the Broncos coach for 2019. For obvious reasons - both in the old boys club - the Club decided not to hire Bennett. Then the club extends Mary early in the 2019 season only to see the NRL team lose five game in a row directly after announcing Mary's extension.

dragonreddy

Juniors
It is not a matter of passing...they are not allowed to bring in their own people...the NFL structure that Doust left us with .. ( Jobs for the boys for life )....

Maguire and others go us the big NO...

Talk about setting yourself up to Fail.

It is becoming obvious that Hornby and Young were promised a job for as long as THEY want in lieu of salary increases whilst playing.

Latest posts